FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! This plane successfully maidened today. She flew a nice slow high alpha wide turn and then rolled into the dirt. No real damage, but missing a push rod. A couple minutes work and she'll be air worthy again. I think I just went too hard on the ailerons at a bad time without enough altitude and throttle. I actually managed to get a decent clip of the whole thing on my mini cam. I think it's time to finally start a YouTube channel and share.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! This plane successfully maidened today. She flew a nice slow high alpha wide turn and then rolled into the dirt. No real damage, but missing a push rod. A couple minutes work and she'll be air worthy again. I think I just went too hard on the ailerons at a bad time without enough altitude and throttle. I actually managed to get a decent clip of the whole thing on my mini cam. I think it's time to finally start a YouTube channel and share.
Congratulations!!!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Congratulations!!!
Thanks, once I get a chance to repair and another break in the wind I'll go again and try to do more. I'll be picking up more foamboard today, so if it remains windy I'll do more building. I think this plane is a bit touchy because of the scaling down in size. I may build a larger version of the same thing to run concurrently and compare their performance. Other than that I still got my scout and DR1 kits!

Wildthing

Legendary member

Congrats,
Being such a narrow delta wing I think roll will be really sensitive, also if it was stuck in high alpha maybe move your cg ahead a 1/4" or so. My Avro Arrow was really stupid with roll until I added some wing tips to it and that made a world of difference for stability.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Congrats,
Being such a narrow delta wing I think roll will be really sensitive, also if it was stuck in high alpha maybe move your cg ahead a 1/4" or so. My Avro Arrow was really stupid with roll until I added some wing tips to it and that made a world of difference for stability.
Yeah I may try moving the cg a bit more forward. I think it was stuck in high alpha because I was flying very timidly on low throttle. A touchy roll axis is a given on slender deltas, so I just use heavy expo on ailerons or elevons and a light touch.

Wildthing

Legendary member
The smooth Bloody Baron get's it's maiden, overall I think it works great and no adverse side affects with the smooth wing with no under camber to it. Speed I definitely think picked up, most of the video I am at 1/2 or less throttle and it is cruising pretty good. In it is the Turnigy 2200kv 6T motor, 40A esc and a 6X4 TGS prop plus a 2200mah 3S battery which is basically what I run in the combat planes other then a 1400kv motor and a 10X5 prop. I did scale the plane along with my other Barons and it is slightly heavier by about 50g , whether that is the 3D printed ribs I don't know . I did have to trim slightly to the left and some down but I didn't angle my motor mount at all so I am sure if I did that probably 0 trim required. Overall though it seems to fly the same as the others.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
had this brewing ever since i saw the video. only catch is the airplane seems different than the one Adam used, or they skipped a whole bunch of stuff in the video. mine doesn't have a carbon rod support for the wings so i think i will have to figure that one out. i have CF but need to figure best way to do it. so far i have made FB patches for the open spaces, cut templates for the wing cuts, designed and 3D printed the motor mounts.

plan is to use 2- emax red bottom 2205-2300kv motors w/ a 5x4.5x3 prop, 2x 30A esc, and a 4S-1300, with differential thrust. should put out over 2000g of thrust on a plane that should come in under 1000g's. :devilish:

20190411_174013.jpg

should be fun,

me :cool:

Vimana89

Legendary member
flew my Fly Bear 805 and Drocon Blue Bugs 3, and worked on my newest slender delta airframe. Pics show scale comparison of my last build vs this one. The other main addition is upturned wingtips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
flew my Fly Bear 805 and Drocon Blue Bugs 3, and worked on my newest slender delta airframe. Pics show scale comparison of my last build vs this one. The other main addition is upturned wingtips.
I would tape some wing tips on the bottom also. After the maiden and it is all trimmed in then remove them to see what difference there is.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sunday I maidened my Quick Trick and had someone gift to me a Floatflymodels Sunderland Flying Boat kit still in the box with instructions http://www.floatflymodels.co.uk/product-navigator/rc-waterplanes

Additionally he gave me a pair of wings in mint condition which he "Guessed" were from a Junior 60. Sadly I cannot find the plane that the wings are from but then the search continues. They are NOT from either of the junior 60s listed on Outerzone sadly so the guess might have been wrong!

Do not know what to do with the Sunderland though.

I may end up passing it on to another club member or the like, not sure!

Have fun!

Innaviation

Just to keep this forum off topic, if you have gone to a flite fest before what are things that you bring and any tips for going to flite fest. As well as what you think the best kind of combat plane is.

IcedStorm777

Just to keep this forum off topic, if you have gone to a flite fest before what are things that you bring and any tips for going to flite fest. As well as what you think the best kind of combat plane is.

Bring money because when you walk into the build tent and the store you will lose your mind and think of 1,236,897 things to buy. haha but seriousy. For the combat build/bring a plane that you don't really care about and expect to not come home with it. And of course bring all things flight and family.

Good Luck and Happy Flying

Wildthing

Legendary member
Bring atleast 4 or 5 Bloody Barons locked and loaded for the combat wars, the rest you are on your own.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Today I made a HUUUUUGE mistake and browsed the RC Groups Classifieds section in a moment of boredom.

a12492-201-turbo%20beeski.jpg

This thing is starting to grow on me. I can imagine it with a retro 50's or 60's automobile livery :cool:

At first, I thought it was a funky excuse to use an EDF. While I'm sure you could do that, I see that it's mostly powered by a homemade ducted fan. Usually propped nitro. How are you going to power yours?