FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This thing is starting to grow on me. I can imagine it with a retro 50's or 60's automobile livery :cool:

At first, I thought it was a funky excuse to use an EDF. While I'm sure you could do that, I see that it's mostly powered by a homemade ducted fan. Usually propped nitro. How are you going to power yours?
Electric for sure - current battery and motor sizes for quadcopters are so much smaller than when this kit was designed I think it will be a lot lighter and better performing than the original.

IcedStorm777

If i need a servo to be able to turn much more than its maximum travel is there a way i can program or modify it to do so? I figured out a (slightly) ingenious way to have super easy super light trike gear retracts with only one servo but i need it to be able to turn more

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
90lb test 7 stranded fishing steel. Putting 30v and 4amps thru it asI'm cutting 4ft of foam. You gotta really pit your weight behind it to keep it straight.
IMG_20190414_092734.jpg IMG_20190414_161656.jpg IMG_20190414_161828.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
If i need a servo to be able to turn much more than its maximum travel is there a way i can program or modify it to do so? I figured out a (slightly) ingenious way to have super easy super light trike gear retracts with only one servo but i need it to be able to turn more
You could try making a longer control arm.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I guess you could use something like an arduino nano and program it to put out pulses of more or less than the standard 1000 to 2000 microsecond length. You could take an input from the recieiver and scale it to fit your needs.
see this video from electronoobs...

IcedStorm777

Is there a specific "formula" to making FT style wings with the three fold lines? For example is the first line at say 20% of the wing chord, the second line is at 50% and the third is at 75%? I don't really know how to make FT wings and any help is appreciated.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Is there a specific "formula" to making FT style wings with the three fold lines? For example is the first line at say 20% of the wing chord, the second line is at 50% and the third is at 75%? I don't really know how to make FT wings and any help is appreciated.
My method does not rely upon a rule! I do a lot of converting Balsa model designs to FB. I take a drawing of the wing profile and draw a folded FB approximation of the profile.

I measure the dimensions and then transfer those dimensions to the FB, cut, score, and fold. I then use the original CG location as on the original wing profile and adjust slightly if needed.

It works for flat bottom, semi-symmetrical and fully symmetrical wings including those that are swept and.or tapered!

If doing a scratch design I look for a wing of the shape and performance I require and use that. (No use reinventing the wheel).

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
clubs spring picnic is this saturday and i hope to have this one ready by then

made some good progress. got wing slots cut, 2 carbon spars in the wings, 4x metal gear 9g servos, vert stabs glued in, and CF reinforcement for leading edges glued in. just need to go steal 2x 30A ESC's, glue in motors, then glue top on once wiring is done.

20190415_171625.jpg

20190415_171644.jpg

should be fun.

laters,

me :cool:

IcedStorm777

Anyone know where i can find the plans for the mig-3 wing? I am building the project air jet glider, and i just realized that it uses a mig-3 wing and am hoping to be able to print the plans. Thanks!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Super windy, so I just finished up my delta. Came out a bit sloppy but not bad. Hopefully the wingtips help. It definitely has more elevator presence than my last one and is much larger. As long as it stays windy, I may slap together another of basically the same plane with a different type of wingtips stabilizer that covers the bottom too. Two similar planes have a better shot of one being good. I think I will try another mini size with a super light pack, an emax 1806 and 650 2s with 5x3 prop. This one should be more stable with wingtips and greatly reduced weight.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ready to glue together. almost...

20190417_180707.jpg

need to verify motor directions and add some skids but the rest is done. i was a little concerned about the weight. as i said, the posted weight was 850-ish grams. to me the aircraft felt much heavier. to my relief when i weighed all the parts i came in sub 800g w/o battery. the heaviest battery i plan to use is 120g.

we will see. in immediate hindsight i would make some changes but at this point no going back without major work. we will fly it and see what happens. maybe i'm happy, maybe i'm content-ish, maybe it just catches fire? :LOL:

stay tuned.

me :cool:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
It has been several years since I last worked on the bass guitar I am making, I just needed to work the wood file for 2 hours but I have been lazy.
DSC_1118.JPG
DSC_1119.JPG
DSC_1120.JPG
The body is made of mapple and the neck is pear wood, the fretwood will be hawthorn. All of the wood was given to me by a guy that lives near our mountain house so all of that is local wood from the center of france.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
It has been several years since I last worked on the bass guitar I am making, I just needed to work the wood file for 2 hours but I have been lazy.
View attachment 129494
View attachment 129495
View attachment 129496
The body is made of mapple and the neck is pear wood, the fretwood will be hawthorn. All of the wood was given to me by a guy that lives near our mountain house so all of that is local wood from the center of france.
Nice!! Are you going to do a natural color by staining it, or are you going to paint it?