Got a bunch of maidens in this weekend.
Twisted Hobbies Revo p3 bipe
Hobbyking Phoenix 2000
Wildthing Mini (used from ireland)
My diy plank 2.0 (silver one)
IMG_20190421_140510.jpg IMG_20190421_135204.jpg IMG_20190420_182713.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wait if i disassembled a hair dryer and soldered the heating element to my motor wires and then put the heat part on the back of one of my ESC's wouldn't that add a lot of thrust as the air coming through the ESC would then be heated causing it to expend and be expeled out the back more rapidly????
In theory yes that would add thrust, but the amount of weight would of the heating system would be more than the amount of thrust you would be adding. A hair dryer can only heat to about 140 degrees F. turbojet exhaust are at around 2300 degrees F and ramjet engines are almost at 4000 degrees F.
every time i said ESC i meant EDF sorry
At the bottom of your post there is a selection for you to edit you post.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Wait if i disassembled a hair dryer and soldered the heating element to my motor wires and then put the heat part on the back of one of my ESC's wouldn't that add a lot of thrust as the air coming through the ESC would then be heated causing it to expend and be expeled out the back more rapidly????
No, the thermal energy you could impart to the flow of air would be next to nothing and destroy your ESC/battery. That why heating your house is about the biggest expense of a household bill. That's why reheats on jets engines are only used for short bursts as it eats fuel, even though jet fuel is 50 to 100 times more energy dense than batteries.

IcedStorm777

In theory yes that would add thrust, but the amount of weight would of the heating system would be more than the amount of thrust you would be adding. A hair dryer can only heat to about 140 degrees F. turbojet exhaust are at around 2300 degrees F and ramjet engines are almost at 4000 degrees F.

At the bottom of your post there is a selection for you to edit you post.

Thanks, anyone know of something that is really light but really hot? And thanks! i didn't know about that!

I edited this part in... Thanks@grifflyer

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
you could try making a edf afterburner but is is going to be heavy and complex.
There isnt much you can do to make an edf better besides putting it outside the plane so you dont have to deal with intake and exhaust tube drag.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
you could try making a edf afterburner but is is going to be heavy and complex.
There isnt much you can do to make an edf better besides putting it outside the plane so you dont have to deal with intake and exhaust tube drag.
See...
Works and looks great but didn't really make a difference to the thrust :)

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
I just maidened my new simple scout :D!

It was a very brief flight because people were arriving for a tee-ball game on the field I was flying on, but I am already in love with this plane :love:. It popped right into the air and although it was very maneuverable it is still the easiest plane I have ever flown, and to top it all off it landed itself with no input from me!

Vimana89

Legendary member
It's windy again and I have some build time. I can always come back to the tailed version of my slender delta and iron out the last few kinks, but I decided on a little detour first. I did a little research and found that people have flown some RET deltas with decent success, so I took the basic premise of a lower aspect, higher sweep delta...and combined it with the rear end of a nutball. I'm going for a plane that handles similar to a nutball but less pitchy, with better wind resistance. Here's what I came up with. Just awaiting a top hatch, everything looks and feels good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vimana89

Legendary member
The nutty delta only took a few hours and the winds still raging, so I've been building a second delta to maiden (hopefully) tomorrow. This one is basically my AET tailed one. The wing aspect came out a bit wider than last one because I'm adding wingtip plates rather than cracking dihedrals, but it is still quite highly swept. I'm trying a more ambitious vertical stabilizer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I have some mahogany laminate and I was thinking about gluing it on the head of the bass, it is a bit too thin for the tuners I have and it would look fancy.
DSC_1163.JPG

Vimana89

Legendary member
I maidened (and obliterated) my nut-back slender delta. She got airborne, but the front end of nose got totally smoked on the resulting crash. Thankfully, no literal smoke, and the rest of the fuselage nacelle was intact with electronics still good inside. I figured whatever. Chuck it again, I start getting the hang of it and she's still flying with a ripped off nose. Pitch is smooth as butter, not jerky, and she can climb straight vertical and do tight, clean loops for days. This elongated plane can loop probably tighter than my champ, and much less touchy than a normal nutball. The roll axis is still very sensitive, but manageable with some practice. The banks and rolls are clean and crisp, if touchy. I got in a lot of practice, and hopefully footage, but she handled funkier after every bump until the final crash ripped the whole nacelle off. Time to repair or rebuild. This is my most successful scratch design yet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Piotrsko

Master member
Installed the prop adapter on the FT bronco, took it outside to test and check battery life. Ran it up and got tons of vibration. Balanced prop, still shook. Prop adapter is off center by maybe 3mm. How can something turned on a lathe be off by 3mm? Remembered why I took up slope.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Installed the prop adapter on the FT bronco, took it outside to test and check battery life. Ran it up and got tons of vibration. Balanced prop, still shook. Prop adapter is off center by maybe 3mm. How can something turned on a lathe be off by 3mm? Remembered why I took up slope.

I have ran into that quite often