FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
I finally have the real impetus to start that YouTube channel now that I have footage of one of my designs flying successfully for more than 20 seconds. I will have to come up with a clever name for the nutball/slender delta hybrid plane now too and make a thread to share so others can enjoy the design. The footage of this particular launch is top notch. It has steep climbs, tight deliberate loops, slow and low passes and a decent landing where I go super duper slow on approach. All that doesn't really do it justice, because the way this thing maneuvers and turns is like something out of a sci-fi movie.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
It flies pretty good, very happy with that purchase, i don't usually get pnp planes. On first toss i had the rudder not only out of alignment by a lot, but it was reversed as well. Once i got that sorted it flew nicely. Only issues i have with it is that it does have a tendency to tip stall, although it was easy to get out of the stall every time, and if i was flying this primarily as a powered plane i would upgrade the motor or go up to 4s as it doesn't have as much power as i would like. But i wanted this as a slope soarer with some "get out of trouble" power so its great for that.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thanks, looking forward to flying it a lot more. Its a pretty old shape as far as slope soarers, i just copied some shapes i had seen out there. If your interested in how i built it i have a playlist that kind of skims thru the process:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMieSP4Ym7qrQG3R3T_zLCYt71dk_h4ZZ
Definitely interested. I'll check it out in detail when I get a chance. I may design a simple flying wing in the near future and and that might be a good place to start looking for inspiration.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I actually repaired the completely busted, ripped, jagged, crinkled nose on my plane rather than scrapping or even rebuilding the nose. I glued the pieces together and braced the sides with some poster board plates, fabricated new curved front plates and cobbled together a top hatch. Not winning any beauty contests, but looks functional.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

jaredstrees

Sweet! Love my mini corsair. She flies great, just use some expo, especially on the elevator. She can be a little twitchy! As soon as I actually have build time again I'm going to tackle the larger version.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Once I get some free time later today, I'm going to look into free file conversion software and websites, because my vids fail to finish uploading to Youtube and the one converter I tried is a gimmick where they give you 1/3 of your footage each video unless you get the paid version. There's a site where the conversion can be done online that looks promising. Once I can get the files working I've got some good footage of my champ and the maiden of my flybear 805, as well as flights three and four of my nutball/slender delta hybrid plane. Three is short and ends in a crash, but I pick it up for launch 4 and chuck it again and that's where all the magic happens.

It occurred to me what would probably drastically improve the handling; I learned the hard way on my nice 650 3s batteries about over discharge, so now those won't accept a charge, and I was left with 850s in my last couple builds. I think the slender wing planes really don't like heavy batteries, the Kolibri Flyer and prototype before it use the same motors I'm using but use a 600 probably for that reason. I found a cheap deal on a couple of 550s I'm going to try for my next version.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Once I get some free time later today, I'm going to look into free file conversion software and websites, because my vids fail to finish uploading to Youtube and the one converter I tried is a gimmick where they give you 1/3 of your footage each video unless you get the paid version. There's a site where the conversion can be done online that looks promising. Once I can get the files working I've got some good footage of my champ and the maiden of my flybear 805, as well as flights three and four of my nutball/slender delta hybrid plane. Three is short and ends in a crash, but I pick it up for launch 4 and chuck it again and that's where all the magic happens.

It occurred to me what would probably drastically improve the handling; I learned the hard way on my nice 650 3s batteries about over discharge, so now those won't accept a charge, and I was left with 850s in my last couple builds. I think the slender wing planes really don't like heavy batteries, the Kolibri Flyer and prototype before it use the same motors I'm using but use a 600 probably for that reason. I found a cheap deal on a couple of 550s I'm going to try for my next version.

I use a video converter that is called Handbrake, it is free and works very well so you could give it a try.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Picked up Velcro,glue, and poster board(my favorite material for lightweight, lazy Velcro-on top hatches that conform to your fuselage.) When I first started building, I attempted to build my entire "planes" out of corroplast, and had since abandoned it, but I picked up a sheet today to experiment with certain components of foamboard builds. If I make the front plates on my nose out of this, it won't add much for weight but it will be a super strong bumper. Looks like it would curve similar to FB if I cut slits all along it. Likewise, sometimes I don't use a full bottom fuselage and use a quick one to two sheet thick spine along the belly that keys into the nose fuselage and then tape my servo cables along that. This would probably be better out of corroplast as well.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Waiting on some 550 batteries for a lighter RETjet( the nutball SD hybrid has a name now!)build, while finishing up my next AET model. I will probably try this one with the 850 again to see how she handles, as she's a bit bigger than the retjet with the addition of a tailplane. Corroplast can mildly curve just as is, scoring doesn't seem to help or work. It curved well enough to do my front nose plates, which is nice. Other than that I'll be getting my files sorted out for YouTube. Once I master slender wing planes better, I'm going to take my next scratch design in a totally different direction. Forward swept is highly likely, or twin engine cargo or airliner style. Something totally different.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Duck mirror. It's super duper thin and three bucks and change a roll at Michael's. Want to add some aesthetic flare to your plane without much effort? This is a good option👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
I just maidened my new simple scout :D!

It was a very brief flight because people were arriving for a tee-ball game on the field I was flying on, but I am already in love with this plane :love:. It popped right into the air and although it was very maneuverable it is still the easiest plane I have ever flown, and to top it all off it landed itself with no input from me!

Here is a picture of my scout!

1556308467576.png