FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

L Edge

Master member
Be careful if thats an ama field. Technically that is making money with rc aircraft which means everyone participating would need to be part 107 pilots. If found out thats not the case the field coukd lose its ama status.

The new rules really put a noose on all pilots. Even monetising you tube requires part 107 now.

Could you direct me to the section of AMA that states that? Same as a raffle or a funfly held at the field which offers prizes to the participants.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The one that says you agree to follow all the laws and regulations regarding the hobby.

Like the FAA reg thats says if you make ANY money with rc you MUST fly under part 107 rules.

I suggest you as well as everyone else read the newest laws set into action may 18th. They have temp suspended CBO's until they can come up with rules for what qualifies as a cbo. Until then the AMA can not be used to guide what you do to side step or bypass any of the new rulings.

Vimana89

Legendary member
You know when everything that can go wrong in a build does but not quite enough to kill it? That's what happened. I had a couple small things off that were only aesthetic, belly box not fitting flush into the nose and needed a little shimming, servo placement not well thought out. The thing that required me to tear the whole belly up was having a servo just inexplicably crap during electronics tests. I replaced it and closed up with some poster board strips. Then the rudder servo stopped working because glue dropped in it.😫. Had to de-gunk it which made the little slot in the wing I had the arm sticking up from look jagged and ugly. Build is finally done though and everything moves and functions right, too windy to maiden yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Tronglodon

Had a learning experience this morning putting my Simple Cub nose first into a rock next to the runway. I just switched from 3 channel to 4 and it almost feels like I'm starting over again. I think moving my rudder control, and hence taxi control, from the right stick to the left stick has thrown me off. I gave the plane too much throttle too quickly and torqued over to the left, into the aforementioned rock. The Cub is starting to look pretty rough, I may fix it or I may build a Scout to carry on in its place.

IcedStorm777

I am looking at the eachine wizard x220 and the Emax buzz. How different are they? Which would you reccomend? Any other ideas? I cant seem to find either of them for spektrum only frsky, any help?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Gonna finally build that mini scout kit I had laying around a while. Got enough spare stuff and a radial 1806.

JennyC6

Elite member
The one that says you agree to follow all the laws and regulations regarding the hobby.

Like the FAA reg thats says if you make ANY money with rc you MUST fly under part 107 rules.

I suggest you as well as everyone else read the newest laws set into action may 18th. They have temp suspended CBO's until they can come up with rules for what qualifies as a cbo. Until then the AMA can not be used to guide what you do to side step or bypass any of the new rulings.
All the more reason to buy up 10 or 15 acres of farmland to live on. No need to be beholden to that BS when you own enough land to fly over your own backyard.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Today I got my first Sea Duck! An original FT kit that was assembled roughly. The plane is fully fitted out and apart from a little delamination of the FB in places and a lack of the float bracing.

Sadly now I have to get rid of even more planes to make room. 5 given away just waiting on people to collect them!

Have fun!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
All the more reason to buy up 10 or 15 acres of farmland to live on. No need to be beholden to that BS when you own enough land to fly over your own backyard.

That still wont exempt you from the laws should they come across you flying illegally.

Risking up to $28000 in fines and possible jail time over a toy is kind of mental to my way of thinking.

JennyC6

Elite member
That still wont exempt you from the laws should they come across you flying illegally.

Risking up to $28000 in fines and possible jail time over a toy is kind of mental to my way of thinking.
And they never will. The only way you ever get smacked with those sorts of laws is if you annoy someone else to the point they make a call. The FAA doesnt patrol the land looking for people flying p107 without p107 paperwork. They arent even patrolling youtube looking for it. You're just fine if you have enough land of your own to fly over and dont have neighbors right next door.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Rock on mate. You do what you feel you need to do.

Ill add you to the list of selfish people that only care about themselves and not how that way of thinking is why all this legislation is invading and killing the hobby for all the others that can and do consider the hobby and others participating in it.

Everyone say thank you mate....

JennyC6

Elite member
Rock on mate. You do what you feel you need to do.

Ill add you to the list of selfish people that only care about themselves and not how that way of thinking is why all this legislation is invading and killing the hobby for all the others that can and do consider the hobby and others participating in it.

Everyone say thank you mate....
If I put any effort into caring what people on the internet thought of me I would have been committed years ago. Really doesnt matter one iota to me if you like me or not.

What does matter to me is people supporting asinine decisions that directly hinder my life made by people who have no clue what they're legislating over. I refuse to support, defend such laws. And some of the nicest people to ever walk this earth have disregarded stupid laws. In the right circumstances it can literally change entire nations.

I'm also not the problem. The problem is idiots who fly race drones recklessly in public spaces where they put bystanders at risk and violate people's right to privacy, not people who fly nitro fixed wing over their own rural property well over a quarter mile from the nearest human being. I'm not putting anyone at risk by flying over my own land. What is putting people at risk is drone pilots in busy public spaces and overflying active 1:1 runways, and that is why the FAA is clamping down on RC.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I agree that is part if the problem. As well as poor marketing and promotion of the hobby.

I to am not happy with what is happening with for profit driven legislation pushing us a side. I have spoke my peace and disagreement but as new laws become set I am activly trying to stay up to date and follow best I can.

I have nothing agaist you personally as I dont know you.

Why I am discussing this with you is you brought up doing something that breaks rules and I replied with information people may not know or understand because its so new.

After your replies with questions the discussion has evolved to why you are preaching civil disobediance in a place trying to promote and move the hobby forward. A place where young minds and possibly not so well up to date adults can see you not doing good by the hobby with your choices.

Yes you may be able to fly unhindered in a wide open space with no issues but the 12 year old inner city, or suburban teenagers see this and think their circumstances allow them to disobey laws thus perpetuating the very problem we are discussing.

Vimana89

Legendary member
New V-Sliver flew like garbage😕. Mostly trouble with how the linkages and servos were placed, combined with a couple other factors of build slop and small changes that didn't really enhance the design. Back to the drawing board, going to keep things simpler and almost identical to the prototype. I will probably finish up the mini Scout first though, and put the motor back on the beat up prototype V-Sliver for now. Today I should be ordering parts for the Dash 8 project.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Super afternoon of flying, four long flights with the mini-arrow. Was enjoying one of those flights so much I took the battery down to 4% oops!!!
Two fully FPV flights on the Phenix 60 which I managed to stall at one point and went into a nasty spin, just succeeded in pulling out of it.
One flight on the Seagull Swift 40 trainer plane. This big model (for me) takes more forward planning of control inputs.
Home without any repairs to do....win!!!!