FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Gave someone some 3D printed parts at the field last night. Received a 2 channel balsa glider and an .049 motor from someone else. He says it's a Dolaire, but I can't find any reference to it anywhere online. Plan on going electric. Trying a sunnysky 2206 1900kv 3D airplane motor first.
Dolaire.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Aha.... after some more googling for .049 texaco, I found out that it is a Dallaire, not a Dolaire. :-D And based on some additional googling, it looks like I'm in the right ballpark for the electric conversion. Great thing about finding plans is I can build the missing landing gear. :-D
Screenshot from 2019-05-19 21-34-27.png

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Next Saturday my club is hosting a Glider Day at our field, with a couple high starts and at least one guy bringing a tow plane from a neighboring club. It should be a lot of fun - but I realized I didn't have a dress for the dance... err... glider ready for the event! :p

So over the weekend I pulled down a pair of swap meet 2 meter balsa gliders from the rafters and got them ready for maiden flight. One is a true glider with rudder / elevator / ailerons (run from a single servo) - no motor. The covering is in pretty good shape, but if anything happens to her I'll convert to spoilerons when I strip the wings. The other one is a hotliner that looks like it was setup with a Cox .049 from the fuel-proofing and holes on the firewall. I dug around the junk drawer and came out with a mystery brushless motor and 9x5 folding prop that looked reasonably sized. It balances nicely and throttles up without letting any smoke out, so she should be ready for a maiden flight this weekend. Might epoxy in a tow hook just in case she needs a little extra power on launch...

JTarmstr

Elite member
I decided to buy one of the FT shirts because I really liked the design on it. It arrived today, pretty cool shirt. I am also working on a design for a warbird I have been wanting to build for a while.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Shopping for parts online. 5x4 six bladed props came in, a bit of wind so may or may not test today. I re mounted my motor from the new failed V Sliver frame back to the battered prototype until I get a proper rebuild. RETjet prototype still running too, so I can test these props. I really only have spent 20 minutes on the new mini scout kit when I last worked on it, and that was enough to get a lot done. I have to paint the components and put em together and add electronics but the wing and fuselage are pretty much built and everything is popped out.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Wind still going but not terribly strong, so I took the beat up old V-Sliver prototype "Skinny Minnie" out again after swapping the motor back from the failed rebuild. I tested this sweet new six blade prop, and it has a much quieter, slightly more jet-like sound. There seems to be a slight thrust and marginal stability increase but those could be subjective. These props will be great for the Dash 8 build, and two will sound nice. I've ordered a battery and receiver for my Dash, as well as smaller batteries for other stuff. By the end of the day I'll browse the FT store and get some ESC's, firewalls, and a pair of shades😎, and probably hit up the Graupner US site for motors.

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I was gifted a Sea Duck on Sunday and today I managed to setup differential thrust for it. It has no rudder and so differential thrust is a necessity. Additionally one of the ESCs had a problem with its connector to the Rx.

It was my first differential thrust setup and all I can say is WHAT A MIND JOB!

It should be right for its maiden possibly tomorrow or on the weekend for sure. The build quality is rather poor and I am hoping I do not have to disassemble it and rebuild it properly!

Have fun!

Wildthing

Legendary member
I was gifted a Sea Duck on Sunday and today I managed to setup differential thrust for it. It has no rudder and so differential thrust is a necessity. Additionally one of the ESCs had a problem with its connector to the Rx.

It was my first differential thrust setup and all I can say is WHAT A MIND JOB!

It should be right for its maiden possibly tomorrow or on the weekend for sure. The build quality is rather poor and I am hoping I do not have to disassemble it and rebuild it properly!

Have fun!

Mixes on top of mixes. Usually I will sit down with a fresh pack of cigarettes, bottle of whiskey and fully charged batteries in the plane and tx and go at it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Mixes on top of mixes. Usually I will sit down with a fresh pack of cigarettes, bottle of whiskey and fully charged batteries in the plane and tx and go at it.
That bad🤔🤔🤔? Might have to run my Dash 8 without it at first. How hard is setting up thrust differentials with a Flysky Ia6?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That bad🤔🤔🤔? Might have to run my Dash 8 without it at first. How hard is setting up thrust differentials with a Flysky Ia6?
It must be your lucky day!

My radio is a FlySky iA6! So when you need to setup differential thrust, all you need to do is to ask for the settings and then put them in your radio! Then recalibrate the ESCs.

have fun!

Wildthing

Legendary member
I have tried the Google approach and asked Alexis to set it up for me but she told me to in kind words leave me alone. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This morning, (the first dry day in almost 2 weeks), was flying day!

So I took the Sea Duck out and maidened it, (sorry no video). I actually got in 2 flights and the differential thrust worked quite well. It is still a little non-linear in thrust but it flew quite well considering the warps and misalignment of various parts of the build.

I do like its party trick though! It can sit on the runway and do donuts without any forward movement and at quite a high rate of revolutions per second. Hopefully this weekend will be the source of the flight video, (If it is not raining that is!)

Have fun!

IcedStorm777

If i have a normal computer monitor sitting around could i get an antenna and a FPV reciever and attach them to the monitor? Would it work if i could figure out a way to supply power?