FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Tench745

Master member
Applied markings to the Small Spirit today
IMG_1080.JPG

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
So a friend of mine (@mrjdstewart) wanted to build a FT Bronco but did not care for tiling a bazillion pages together and wanted an easier way to do the planes. So we came up with this:
1558946688303.png

All the FT bronco plans laid out into four 20X30 inch boxes outlined with a dashed line. The printer on a 24X126 inch sheet.
I'll be interested in hearing how this goes....

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Setting up Edgewater, gearing up for Flite Fest 2019, doing much larger builds and still updating older models to v2 to work woth new FT branded electronics.

It always slows this time of year

Tench745

Master member
I also tested my head-mount camera rig today. Nothing particularly new, but thought I'd share.
It's just a head band with another strap over the top. A piece of aluminum with a hole in it mounts to the over-head strap. a 1/4-20 socket-head bolt and wingnut hold on anything that can mount to a tripod.
IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1083.JPG

Tronglodon

Today I verified that my Cub is indeed cursed, and will sadly never get to wear its floats for real. I see a yellow Scout in my future.
IMG_20190526_200409.jpg

Tronglodon

For real though, I took a good load of planes to the park with my son, daughter and brother this morning. Little girl watched She-Ra on the iPad while my son flew his Tiny Trainer over and over and over... The Cub had a short, eventful, underpowered flight, I think maybe an esc calibration issue with a new receiver. I decided it was cursed and moved on to the maiden flight of my FT Spitfire. The Spitfire has a Matek f411 board in it for stabilization. It felt weird flying in horizon mode, I've never used gyros before, but it was a successful flight. A few more flights with a bit of computer tweaking and it's feeling really good. For the rest of the day I've got plans for a Storch printed out to take the place of the Cub.
IMG_20190527_072058.jpg

Tronglodon

That is a very good looking build (y), what is wrong with it?
Three mysterious crashes with a suspect Orange receiver, then a funny flight today with a new receiver. Through the course of all that it's gotten more banged out of shape than I'd prefer. I've applied generous glue globulation, including gluing the power pod in. It might fly again, but I think I'll set it aside for now.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Hm, I have read that putting a popsicle stick under the leading edge of the wing to increase the angle of incidence makes the simple cub fly better.

Tronglodon

Hm, I have read that putting a popsicle stick under the leading edge of the wing to increase the angle of incidence makes the simple cub fly better.
I built it in three channel configuration first with a Spektrum receiver and it flew wonderfully. When I converted it to four channel I put in an Orange receiver which I assume was cursed, because that's when my troubles began. I had one great flight in high afternoon winds, but after that I had one mysterious lockout after another. I love the Simple Cub design, I'll probably build another one someday, it's just unfortunate that this one seems to be haunted now.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I built it in three channel configuration first with a Spektrum receiver and it flew wonderfully. When I converted it to four channel I put in an Orange receiver which I assume was cursed, because that's when my troubles began. I had one great flight in high afternoon winds, but after that I had one mysterious lockout after another. I love the Simple Cub design, I'll probably build another one someday, it's just unfortunate that this one seems to be haunted now.
You need to ensure that your Rx antenna/s are clear of all other wires and metal obstructions.

What you can a "Lockout" could in fact be a Loss of Signal, (LOS). Sadly suffering a LOS is common on Rxs that have either a single antenna or a pair of antenna that are short and difficult to get clear of the planes internal wiring!

As you mention the curse started when you changed Rxs I suspect the new Rx and/or its antenna arrangement is the source of your supposed curse!

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
got my cruiser back into flying shape. i got it when i was still pretty new at this stuff and never got it working right. flew it 3 times, crashed 3 times. after that it became a wall flower. decided to pull it back down and take another swing. pretty happy with how it came out. kinda funny going back to an old project like this, reminds you just how much you have learned and how much better of a builder/flyer you are than before.

20190527_140152.jpg

it will re-maiden this wednesday. cant wait.

laters,

me :cool:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Got my electronics for the Dash 8 coming in the mail. I'm a hands on, pencil and paper kind of guy, I'm no good with rendering programs and can only visualize so many angles in my head at once, so I'm going to have to mock up a quick build or two of each main part and see if it comes out the way I want it. So I've got myself some tequila and I'm working out the fuselage.