FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
So I've got myself some tequila and I'm working out the fuselage.

we should be friends. :LOL:

one of my favorite shirts...

20190527_191130.jpg

actually more of a spiced rum guy, but do like my tequila and i love being in mexico!

laters,

me :cool:

Vimana89

Legendary member
So I'm stoked at how this fuse is turning out. It might not look like much to all you pro builders, but I don't do full boxes well or often yet. I thought I'd have to mock up a couple builds before I'd get it right since I don't do cad but it came out exactly like I envisioned it in my mind. This is still a prototype piece of a prototype plane build, but it really does look like a simplified Dash 8 fuse. I'm leaving the top open until I build and install everything else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Today I finally completed the build and paint of a Viggen for a member of the local RC model aircraft club. Delivery day is tomorrow. He can do his own setup!!

View attachment 132278

Have fun!
Delivery done!

Someone else wants one now:rolleyes:
Definitely my least favourite build so far. I may have to alter the design internally so that the EDF Etc can be retro fitted rather being glued in at an early stage of construction. Just need to work out how to do it without adding weight:unsure:.

Back to the work bench:(.

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
kinda of a mixed bag today.

we will start with the Cruiser. i really had high hopes for this guy. my mini-cruiser is one of my favorites, but like any twin it is twice as complicated. my first couple attempts at taxiing were sketchy. the thrust diff was working but the plane was almost uncontrollable. finally got some what comfortable and decided to try and fly. first attempt ended with a nose over and broken prop. thankfully i had a spare in the jeep. second attempt it took off, dove right, had zero aileron control, and nosed into the runway.it acted like it was tail heavy. luckily no damage so i ripped some weight off the tail and line up again. third attempt i started on high rates and got into the air but it was not fun. i still had almost no aileron control and it still seemed to be tail heavy despite the fact that based upon the CG that FT posted i was way nose heavy. it also seemed that my left motor was pulling more than the right. i was very careful when doing the setup to make sure that both motors and esc's were calibrated. thankfully i was able to use the thrust diff to control the flight and after 2 mins of terror i landed with out issue. guess i need to look at my esc/motor calibration again to solve thrust issues. i also am going to go to 8" props and chop the landing gear to make it shorter and better able to deal with the taxiing. i think they are just to long and wire not strong enough. hopefully shortening the length with help.

now to the Edge 540. it definitely has plenty of power but the weight i think is limiting on it's 3D capabilities. it rolls beautifully, and can knife edge all day long, but it had some troubles with flat spins, and snap turns (didn't want to snap over). the thing is a rocket ship and looks beautiful but still needs some work. another member maidened his edge today as well but with a much smaller setup and it was much tamer, slower, and 3D capable. mine in comparison is like a red bull air racer. i think i will make some mechanical adjustments to the control horns and see if i can get a little more action.

best flight of the day was 20 mins of FPV glider action. stuck a camera on the tail of my Radian and have to say, i really like flying that way. nice calm, easy, beautiful view, only trick is keeping your accent smooth. you have no visual ref, all you see is blue when going up and you can find yourself in all sort of weird situations. once off power and gliding though, sublime.

laters,

Vimana89

Legendary member
Looked on the articles page,surprised to see a pic of a familiar plane... saw my intro to slender deltas published👍. Wasn't sure it would be up to snuff. Next time I write an article I will probably have some editing skills under my belt and more pics to make it a bit more lively, but I'm glad to get something out there. Also, it's sounding like I should be pretty happy with my decision to use small diameter props on my Dash 8, less chance of landing brutalities and shorter gear.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Delivery done!

Someone else wants one now:rolleyes:
Definitely my least favourite build so far. I may have to alter the design internally so that the EDF Etc can be retro fitted rather being glued in at an early stage of construction. Just need to work out how to do it without adding weight:unsure:.

Back to the work bench:(.

Have fun!
I haven't built any EDF planes yet but I've watched the Viggen build video to see how it was done. I did notice how it was just sort of shoved into that bracket with some glue early on. Are there some better methods? Let us know what you come up with!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I haven't built any EDF planes yet but I've watched the Viggen build video to see how it was done. I did notice how it was just sort of shoved into that bracket with some glue early on. Are there some better methods? Let us know what you come up with!
My current train of thought is to leave the tail end of the fuselage effectively an open hole and have the EDF unit on a power pod that slides in from the rear, is keyed internally, and secured with either a skewer or tape/Velcro. I am waiting for the next owner to supply the EDF unit he wishes to use.

If it is a large unit I may have to raise the location of the EDF unit and even adjust the thrust line. Also if the powerpod adds too much weight I may have to slide the EDF location further forward for balance reasons!

So by removing the powerpod I can then get access to the internal area for the changing of servos/routing the leads, as well as any other devices I decide to fit. No more burying the wiring in the fin support as the build progresses. Of course the powerpod being out of the plane will make working on it and the EDF unit far easier!

The use of CF tube in the wing really locked it down and now the wing no longer flaps in the tight turns.

Have fun!

Tench745

Master member
kinda of a mixed bag today.

we will start with the Cruiser. i really had high hopes for this guy. my mini-cruiser is one of my favorites, but like any twin it is twice as complicated. my first couple attempts at taxiing were sketchy. the thrust diff was working but the plane was almost uncontrollable. finally got some what comfortable and decided to try and fly. first attempt ended with a nose over and broken prop. thankfully i had a spare in the jeep. second attempt it took off, dove right, had zero aileron control, and nosed into the runway.it acted like it was tail heavy. luckily no damage so i ripped some weight off the tail and line up again. third attempt i started on high rates and got into the air but it was not fun. i still had almost no aileron control and it still seemed to be tail heavy despite the fact that based upon the CG that FT posted i was way nose heavy. it also seemed that my left motor was pulling more than the right. i was very careful when doing the setup to make sure that both motors and esc's were calibrated. thankfully i was able to use the thrust diff to control the flight and after 2 mins of terror i landed with out issue. guess i need to look at my esc/motor calibration again to solve thrust issues. i also am going to go to 8" props and chop the landing gear to make it shorter and better able to deal with the taxiing. i think they are just to long and wire not strong enough. hopefully shortening the length with help.

now to the Edge 540. it definitely has plenty of power but the weight i think is limiting on it's 3D capabilities. it rolls beautifully, and can knife edge all day long, but it had some troubles with flat spins, and snap turns (didn't want to snap over). the thing is a rocket ship and looks beautiful but still needs some work. another member maidened his edge today as well but with a much smaller setup and it was much tamer, slower, and 3D capable. mine in comparison is like a red bull air racer. i think i will make some mechanical adjustments to the control horns and see if i can get a little more action.

best flight of the day was 20 mins of FPV glider action. stuck a camera on the tail of my Radian and have to say, i really like flying that way. nice calm, easy, beautiful view, only trick is keeping your accent smooth. you have no visual ref, all you see is blue when going up and you can find yourself in all sort of weird situations. once off power and gliding though, sublime.

laters,

Quick thought, are your motors on the cruiser spinning the same direction, or opposite one another?
If they're spinning the same way that may account for some of your limited aileron control.
If not... I got nothin...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Quick thought, are your motors on the cruiser spinning the same direction, or opposite one another?
If they're spinning the same way that may account for some of your limited aileron control.
If not... I got nothin...

nope counter rotating, should be no torque affects. i think it all lies in the ESC/Motor calibration and getting them to be identical. i haven't torn into it yet but will tomorrow and hopefully find something.

laters,

Tronglodon

Got a few flights in at the end of the day. The wind never really died down, but the Spitfire dealt with it nicely. My kid even put up his Tiny Trainer for a few dramatic flights. I brought along the Cursed Cub but left it in the car. When we came back the front wing skewer had been ripped out by the rubber bands. Either rubber bands or ghosts, it's hard to say.
IMG_20190529_194756_690.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
I tested my V-Sliver with 5x4x6 and 5.5x5x3 props back to back, and noticed a substantial increase in thrust and some increase in battery efficiency with 5.5x5x3, although the six blade props run very quiet and look extremely cool. The six blades do the job, but I have a lot more thrust and high alpha authority as well as top speed with the three blade and greater pitch. I believe the 5x4x6 will be just right with the Dash on 1806 twin motors, the 5.5x5 would probably be overkill for that.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
I got out and flew my mmArrow for the third time, but this go around the crash was really bad.:(

View attachment 132039 View attachment 132040

I crashed in the grass but my battery is a little crumpled, it didn't get hot or anything. So should I get rid of it or is it safe to use?

Well I glued my mmArrow back together yesterday, and flew it today.

The other times I flew it I used the overhead launch technique, but today I used a discus launch technique, this went very well and launching at a slow speed definitely helped because I didn't crash once, emptied both my batteries, and managed to land right next to myself!! :D

Tronglodon

The curse seems to have lifted from the Cursed Cub! I think when the wing broke off the other day it let all the evil spirits out. Three great flights today, with two perfect landings. Okay, one wheel fell off on one of those perfect landings but that doesn't count. The Cursed Cub is looking a bit worse for wear but still flies well. It's amazing what these foam board planes can put up with. The power pod is now glued in, and overall the thing is now more hot glue than foam.
IMG_20190601_085816.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Mixed results from today's flying....
Two super flights on the Seagull Swift 40, I hope to pass my A certificate this month - fingers crossed.
A fun flight on the Rainbow Flying Wing
A great maiden on the AR Stealth Wing but the firewall broke away on the first landing....checking it there was only a hint of glue that was put on by the manufacturers. No video of this - next time I'll get some. Flew this with a dummy camera up front which I made to match exactly the weight of my action camera.
The big hit of the day was the Lidl glider conversion. flew wonderfully, well on 2S, amazingly well on 3S. If I would make another I would have used two micro servos and put them at the ends of the wings so the ailerons could be farther spaced out as the roll was very 'gentle'. On 3S it climbs vertically, on 2S if has a decent rate of climb. Inverted flight is easy too. A couple of the other members of the club had a go and they came away with a big grin and a plan to visit Lidl :) I did have hat cam on for the Lidl flights, shame it was pointing too far down and didn't catch any video of the plane flying !!
And now the downs...
The Paramotor crashed on launch and smashed :(
IMG_20190601_184754547.jpg
My 3" quadcopter acted very strange, dropped connection and ended up in the river....bye bye £200

Last edited: