FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Mixed results from today's flying....
Two super flights on the Seagull Swift 40, I hope to pass my A certificate this month - fingers crossed.
A fun flight on the Rainbow Flying Wing
A great maiden on the AR Stealth Wing but the firewall broke away on the first landing....checking it there was only a hint of glue that was put on by the manufacturers. No video of this - next time I'll get some. Flew this with a dummy camera up front which I made to match exactly the weight of my action camera.
The big hit of the day was the Lidl glider conversion. flew wonderfully, well on 2S, amazingly well on 3S. If I would make another I would have used two micro servos and put them at the ends of the wings so the ailerons could be farther spaced out as the roll was very 'gentle'. On 3S it climbs vertically, on 2S if has a decent rate of climb. Inverted flight is easy too. A couple of the other members of the club had a go and they came away with a big grin and a plan to visit Lidl :) I did have hat cam on for the Lidl flights, shame it was pointing too far down and didn't catch any video of the plane flying !!
And now the downs...
The Paramotor crashed on launch and smashed :(
View attachment 132705
My 3" quadcopter acted very strange, dropped connection and ended up in the river....bye bye £200
Video from the googles as I lost the FlyWoo Ant! Hate watching this....

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just a note to say the Viggen, mentioned earlier, had its maiden today. It flew quite well! No incidents to report though it sounds like the ESC is flapping around under full throttle. A little minor surgery required!

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Built this Bloody Wonder today for a friend....
IMG_20190602_193816176.jpg

JTarmstr

Elite member
So for an upcoming project I am making (related to planes). To try a fun intro I decided to try basic hand drawn animation and its taking a fun turn, I am taking stills of irl planes and tracing them and then animating them. Its pretty fun, not entirely sure if its RC related though. :unsure:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So for an upcoming project I am making (related to planes). To try a fun intro I decided to try basic hand drawn animation and its taking a fun turn, I am taking stills of irl planes and tracing them and then animating them. Its pretty fun, not entirely sure if its RC related though. :unsure:
In this case RC stands for "Rendered Creations" :p

billybob51165

Uh me, I searched all over a field where my scratch built micro X quad went/strayed off too after the accelerometers had failed and I fought to get it back this past friday, have DVR footage from my headset but no luck finding it being that the grass is like three feet tall.
Here's the footage.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Yesterday was my first plane fly-day after the kiddos scooted to mommy's for the summer. I took out the Rebuild-Repaired FT Simple Soarer first time after the repair (boom snapped at the wing. (tape and glue for the win)) and my Storch "Trainer".
FDMStorchVidCap.PNG FDMStorchVidCap2.PNG FDMStorchVidCap3.PNG

It was low steady gentle breeze. puffy clouds, and not one person at the fields. I puttered around for about 10 min on my 2200mAh battery. then went for Batt. two. About 45s in, the motor seized... well made an errrRR sound way up there, then no prop movement but I had full control. Glided it in, but panicked at the last moment trying to turn around instead of letting it play the runway out. busted the gear out a bit. a quick repair and it will be ready again. I may need to replace the motor as now it stutters. The colors were amazing at assisting with orientation. just relaxed fun.

next up was the Ft-Simple Soarer. spent the next 30-45 mins. taking it up and gliding down. Never caught a thermal but had fun trying. :) Came down in on peice, ready for more. PSA - remember to tighten your screw mounts kiddos!

I really need to put FPV on these birds (again).

That's all for now.

Maybe later, I will tell how my Mobula7 HD flights from the week before went.. Psst - ended with a busted Mobula in the center of the road down the street. (nothing run over thankfully.) when I get the footage uploaded, I will add it here.

FoamyDM

Uh me, I searched all over a field where my scratch built micro X quad went/strayed off too after the accelerometers had failed and I fought to get it back this past friday, have DVR footage from my headset but no luck finding it being that the grass is like three feet tall.
Here's the footage.

That is a true bummer... could be nearly anywhere. If there is a next time, 2 things. Use the RSSI and video signal to triangulate it's locations. also get a good beeper. I nearly lost my gremlin in the wood from hell (I think the trees were bloodthirsty) I use the RSSI feed to get a direction, and the video when I got close to find it.

Good luck.

Vimana89

Legendary member
My scout is flying like crap still and I can't quite figure out why.I've rectified the situation with ESCs and have the right ones coming for the Dash 8 Q400. I'm stoked that my first article got featured, so more will come in the future as ,especially after I learn to edit my vids. Ipersonally find a lot of great info in the articles section,so now that I have some things of my own to share, I'm more than happy to contribute. More work on the Dash to come, and a good likelihood of a mod for the Nutball that should make it a bit more beginner friendly(a tail plane, and high mounted pusher configuration).

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I FLEW! Hit a different spot up the road from my normal area. Got the Strix Nano Goblin up for about 40 minutes of FPV. (On a single charge!) Was a bit windier than anticipated and was getting tossed around. Flipped from full manual to rate mode and was ecstatic that the PIDs were actually pretty close to right. Made the bumpy ride really smooth and relaxing. Of course my DVR had no sd card, so no footage... >sigh< The more I fly the Nano Goblin, The more I wish I had gone for the full size Goblin.....

Got RCE Mini Tricopter #2 (the beast) up for some line of sight fun. Need to get latest firmware on it, and FPV gear.

Traxxased the baseball diamond. Really loose dirt so it did not want to drive straight > 50% throttle. Need to fpv it up for next trip out.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Also, if you guys have Realflight, you can fly at our field! It is the Carl Henson field

i'll have to look at that. then fly that plane you show there.
I spent the last 1:20 minutes flying my ft simple soarer and finally killing my mini arrow. to be fair, it started off like it was punched several times in the face. the strapping tape and tongue depressor busted. it wiggles. I will now need to use the motors in my AP sea duck

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I put together parts from 3 old (really crappy) guitars
DSC_1363.JPG
20€ supermarket strat with a ibanez floyd rose from another guitar, it doesnt hold tune at all but it was a fun one day project.

I also made a video for that

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Last night after soaring & beating my arrow the final blow, I cut out an FT explorer. I will be adding a cf spar.
I also design a V-sel. (Dtfb Weasel slope soarer.) And mounted the BOT plans

IcedStorm777

would it be possible to make a super effecient EDF by putting the part (IDK what its called) that pulls energy from rotations like on a wind mill on a second fan behind the first? Then the air that the first edf is pushing through would accelarate the fan attached to the generator thing which would re-charge the battery

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
would it be possible to make a super effecient EDF by putting the part (IDK what its called) that pulls energy from rotations like on a wind mill on a second fan behind the first? Then the air that the first edf is pushing through would accelarate the fan attached to the generator thing which would re-charge the battery
You would lose efficiency because instead of the EDF working just to move the air frame through the air, it would have to drive a secondary blade.