FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

IcedStorm777

What are the most efficient plane designs if you are going for distance? i assume it would either be a glider (so you can switch between gliding and flying to save battery) or a flying wing. As far as electronics go i assume it would be a Li-on battery as it has better flight times coupled with a highly efficient setup. (AKA what are some efficient motor/ESC setups? Is it possible to have a "smart plane"? What i mean by this is hopefully a plane that #1 if signal is ever lost it will simply retrace its path and land itself. and #2 has some sort of radar or lidar on board so if an object comes at it while signal is lost (AKA a bird, a plane, BATMAN) it can sense and avoid it? What would i need for this kind of setup (arduino? GPS module?) Also as far as long range systems go (for both reciever transmitter and FPV feed) what are some options (hopefully some cheap and some REALLY long range ones? Thanks!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well you would be right, you can look at the leaderboard to see what is the hot stuff. Gliders arent used that much because they are kinda slow so peoples mostly go for fast and efficient machines like wings or the godly mini talon.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
What are the most efficient plane designs if you are going for distance? i assume it would either be a glider (so you can switch between gliding and flying to save battery) or a flying wing. As far as electronics go i assume it would be a Li-on battery as it has better flight times coupled with a highly efficient setup. (AKA what are some efficient motor/ESC setups? Is it possible to have a "smart plane"? What i mean by this is hopefully a plane that #1 if signal is ever lost it will simply retrace its path and land itself. and #2 has some sort of radar or lidar on board so if an object comes at it while signal is lost (AKA a bird, a plane, BATMAN) it can sense and avoid it? What would i need for this kind of setup (arduino? GPS module?) Also as far as long range systems go (for both reciever transmitter and FPV feed) what are some options (hopefully some cheap and some REALLY long range ones? Thanks!
I don't know much on this subject, but I know there are "return to home" protocols for when a plane loses signal it'll will return to a predetermined location, or where it was launched from? I'm sure you could choose one or the other. I personally don't think you'll need a way to sense if an object in the air is going to collide with your plane, I'd be more worried about hitting a building. You could probably set an altitude for the plane when it loses signal and starts to fly back to where it was launched. I don't know much about long range radio systems but I think you'll want to operate on 5.8ghz, correct if I'm wrong.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Inav has pretty advanced stuff now, I talk with the devs often and you can tweak the return to home behavior quite a lot. It doesnt have collision detection but it can detect when the aircraft is crashed or landed. Pretty impressive what they do really.

As for long range, do what you please but for over a few kilometers a low frequency high power system like the crossfire is good for controls and lower frequency video link too (I can get around 5km on 5.8ghz but it can be improved)

IcedStorm777

Inav has pretty advanced stuff now, I talk with the devs often and you can tweak the return to home behavior quite a lot. It doesnt have collision detection but it can detect when the aircraft is crashed or landed. Pretty impressive what they do really.

As for long range, do what you please but for over a few kilometers a low frequency high power system like the crossfire is good for controls and lower frequency video link too (I can get around 5km on 5.8ghz but it can be improved)

Could you link some of the stuff possibly as i have seen a lot of products? If i wanted to go say 10miles out would it be thousands of dollars into a Long range system? What setup would you use for the FPV platform (not what airframe but batts, ESC, motor, etc.)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I haven't done much anything RC, certainly not flying since last year but I did talk about RC today at an airfield. I drove down to look into PPG. Got to kite a wing a few times and watch some others do some flights. My son will be in town in a couple months and the plan is to get some lessons each of us.

I'm DONE piloting Grumman's. (Edited-I left out the important word, "DONE")

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Could you link some of the stuff possibly as i have seen a lot of products? If i wanted to go say 10miles out would it be thousands of dollars into a Long range system? What setup would you use for the FPV platform (not what airframe but batts, ESC, motor, etc.)

Well there is no universal answer for that, you need to decide what you want to do then pick the hardware suited for that. A crossfire system is good for range, then a matek wing FC and a well designed power system using a big li-ion pack should do the job most of the time.

JTarmstr

Elite member
The first JTD Warbird, any guesses as to what type?

DontCheckTheFileName.JPG
SrslyDontCheckIt.JPG
Build thread coming tomorrow or this evening.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
long day. woke up at 4:30 to go flying. had a blast. only 5 guys @ the field so it was turn and burn, i flew 8x's. had 2 on the Ft Edge, 2 on the Crack Yak, 2 on the Mini Arrow, and 1 a piece on the Radian and Crazy B, both FPV. by 8:00am it was beginning to get hot and we were all gone by 8:30am.

i came home and went to work immediatly on the Sig 100. i still needed to install ESC, ensure motor direction, fix the broken elevator, check CG, and build some defenses to save this old bird when it lands on our rough field. i was told today that the original owner bought the kit in 1965, and built late '60's. that makes this glider almost 50yrs old and i did not want to kill it. with that in mind i changed my motor selection to my fav red bottom 2205-2300. that chopped my thrust by 50% but still will be @ 1:1 or there about. don't need to fold the wings. :sneaky: with the 4S-2400 LiHV it needs to balance, flight time should not be a problem. my 3D printed firewall worked perfect, on it's 3rd attempt... :sneaky:, and i think i may redesign and extend even further forward to help with the CG. i also replicated the front hatch in FB. i just couldn't bring myself to drilling a hole that big in the glider to access the wires. just need to wrap up a few finishing items and she is ready. she may not be the most beautiful and graceful lady in the air but she will be funky, and i like that! ;)

20190607_120727.jpg

once i wrapped that up i moved on to the day's delivery...

20190607_182533.jpg

the build was no prob. getting the programing correct has proven difficult. i have googled and read so may diff posts, articles, blogs, videos, about this thing but NONE of them are working for my DX8. as it sits i have found a monkey-rigged Elevon setup that works, but only allows half travel of both arms and the right arm always has more travel. it would be manageable, but certainly not desirable. the other setup i can get the brakes to work, no upward movement on arms, but aileron controls are reversed. i cannot for the life of me figure it out. i will still drag out to field and see if i can find someone smarter than me, but as it sits i doubt it will fly tomorrow... :confused:

20190607_182744.jpg

bummed but hey, life will go on....

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, i never did figure out the programing on the paramotor but still took it to the field to hope for help. it stumped everyone...

so no paramotor, how about the Sig Riser 100?

being almost 50yrs old and having not flown in how long i was a little nervous and worried. i was worried had missed something as well as the old glue and wood just not having any structure. i got everything setup, battery plugged in, CG checked (had to add 2.25oz to nose), and controls. all checked good so i asked the member that gave it to me to launch.

before launching i suggested we should check throttle. thank god i did, the prop i put on was an R, not a tractor. i had installed it at the very beginning thinking the pod was in a pusher config. guy just laughed at me and and handed me back the glider.

thankfully, i did have the correct prop in the jeep so a few minutes later i took another swing.

i had been worried that the red bottom 2205 was not going to be enough. much to our surprise the glider just launched into the air. it had more than plenty power. in fact, too much and was over doing the 30A esc i had installed at the last minute due to probs with the 40A i had planned on. even with that though, it flew beautifully and required no trim at all. i did a few glides and climbs and brought it back. it landed perfect and upon inspection i was proven right, the ESC was HOT! i knew it was gonna pull too many Amps but had hoped that my throttle management would make it ok. either way, it came home safe and sound and that's all that mattered to me.

brought it home and replaced the 30A with the ESC from my new FT Edge 540 which had tried to rip its nose off today (50A ESC), and all should be good for tomorrow.

i know our fields photographer got several pics but i do not have them yet. when i do i will post. i was tickled pink today with this flight and even got a round of applause from the crowd upon landing. this is a cool glider and a new fav in the hangar.

i have re-designed the firewall i used and made it so it extends further forward (20mm) to help with the CG issues i had. hopefully i can pull some weight off the tail

i also figured out the paramotor programing so should be another fun day tomorrow at the field.

laters,

Wildthing

Legendary member
well, i never did figure out the programing on the paramotor but still took it to the field to hope for help. it stumped everyone...

so no paramotor, how about the Sig Riser 100?

being almost 50yrs old and having not flown in how long i was a little nervous and worried. i was worried had missed something as well as the old glue and wood just not having any structure. i got everything setup, battery plugged in, CG checked (had to add 2.25oz to nose), and controls. all checked good so i asked the member that gave it to me to launch.

before launching i suggested we should check throttle. thank god i did, the prop i put on was an R, not a tractor. i had installed it at the very beginning thinking the pod was in a pusher config. guy just laughed at me and and handed me back the glider.

thankfully, i did have the correct prop in the jeep so a few minutes later i took another swing.

i had been worried that the red bottom 2205 was not going to be enough. much to our surprise the glider just launched into the air. it had more than plenty power. in fact, too much and was over doing the 30A esc i had installed at the last minute due to probs with the 40A i had planned on. even with that though, it flew beautifully and required no trim at all. i did a few glides and climbs and brought it back. it landed perfect and upon inspection i was proven right, the ESC was HOT! i knew it was gonna pull too many Amps but had hoped that my throttle management would make it ok. either way, it came home safe and sound and that's all that mattered to me.

brought it home and replaced the 30A with the ESC from my new FT Edge 540 which had tried to rip its nose off today (50A ESC), and all should be good for tomorrow.

i know our fields photographer got several pics but i do not have them yet. when i do i will post. i was tickled pink today with this flight and even got a round of applause from the crowd upon landing. this is a cool glider and a new fav in the hangar.

i have re-designed the firewall i used and made it so it extends further forward (20mm) to help with the CG issues i had. hopefully i can pull some weight off the tail

i also figured out the paramotor programing so should be another fun day tomorrow at the field.

laters,

Here is a link to another guy that just did his maiden on the paramotor and he had an experienced guy beside him giving him pointers, one thing you keep hearing is power up when cornering.

https://www.rcpowers.com/post/hking-high-performance-paramotor-10152939?pid=1308772734

Vimana89

Legendary member
Dash 8 Q400 is just about impossible to make scale out of FB with the wing loading, so I decided to experiment with new single engine designs instead. Working up some sort of AET bird with the airliner fuselage. Don't know what to call it yet. I have no idea how it would fly, but the wing loading calls look good, like it can comfortably fit a 1300 mah battery without going over a 10 wingnloading coefficient.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Dash 8 Q400 is just about impossible to make scale out of FB with the wing loading, so I decided to experiment with new single engine designs instead. Working up some sort of AET bird with the airliner fuselage. Don't know what to call it yet.
I'm no good with names, but for now let's call it super cool:p

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
from today. once again big thank you to our wonderful field photographer. thank you Linda! (y)

decided why not make it "weird" day??? :unsure:

DSC00973.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

the paramotor is like advertised, unlike anything else you have flown. the flying really isn't the issue, it's the launching that is the pickle. too much throttle and you are doing loops, too little and you just hit ground. it is a very fine line.

the 50yr old flyer did awesome. the 50A ESC i installed yesterday solved the problems. flew it 2x's today without issue. she is not the greatest glider by any means, but she is cool!

the autogyro is just goofy and takes some attention. take offs are once again the issue. once the rotors get up to speed they create a nasty tilting/yaw affect to the right. it is also VERY easy at distance to loose orientation of the bank direction. i flew it 2x's as well. the second one ended with a crash due to me being way too far out and not being able to clearly see. aircraft is damaged but easily repaired. all 3 of the rotors took damage and will need to be replaced. thankfully when it was given to me, they also included an extra motor and rotors.

keep flying!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I set a new personal record this morning!

Yesterday at the end of flying a club member gifted me a crashed wing on the condition that I return the 6S motor and the 40A ESC.
The bird was a mess with the nose totally removed a crushed. The battery had tried to exit through the fuselage floor and it was a huge battery! The nose section was in about a dozen pieces with many crushed and also a few pieces or the foam missing.

After returning to the workshop I decided that I would get it ready if possible for this morning as it was forecast as an exceptional morning.
In addition I had a motor and ESC that belonged to a club member that had problems seeing the KFM wing I had built for him previously.

Anyway A reassembled the jigsaw, (NO HOT GLUE), and straightened the nose as best as I could, (I had never seen any others like this bird before. The CG point was marked so I then removed the old motor ETC and fitted the motor and ESC from the old KFM wing. The bird now balances with a 1300 3S:D. Fitted my test flying Rx to the bird and this morning went to the field for a test flight.

2 flights were achieved on the single 1300 3S and there was a roll tendency but trim managed to fix that, (only just), and it is still a fast bird but it glides seemingly forever and quite slowly! I suspect the roll tendency is due to a slight curve in the nose towards one side but then it flies and quite well so I will not mess with it further!

Here is the bird post repairs!
DSCF0030.JPG

Sorry no video of the test flights as it was a solo attendance field day!

One more flight on Wednesday and it is also given away!

Have fun!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Resetting the config on the RMRC Nano Goblin FC. (DTFC running dRonin) Somehow some of the config got wonky causing it not to fly well on the last half of the pack last time out. Going to save it this time so I don't have to remember what I did again. LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

NanoGoblinDTFc.jpg