FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Tronglodon

Saturday is hiking day with the family and today we were lucky enough to hike by a great sloping spot that I've wanted to try. The Alula went up without a hitch. I'm no expert yet so both my landings were more like controlled crashes in the bushes in front of me. There's actually a great big spot for landing behind the ridge but today it was full of families so I wasn't going to try it.

Tronglodon

I am thinking about building a full on flight simulator (not just a desktop one). What software is better X-plane of FSX? If neither what are some really good free or low price simulators? I am hoping to be able to do multiplayer, combat, and civilian flying while still having many planes to fly. Any ideas?

Also any ideas for instrament panels, rudder pedals, and good throttle? Thanks!
That's a big project for sure, I think X Plane is better suited for something like that.

JTarmstr

Elite member
I am thinking about building a full on flight simulator (not just a desktop one). What software is better X-plane of FSX? If neither what are some really good free or low price simulators? I am hoping to be able to do multiplayer, combat, and civilian flying while still having many planes to fly. Any ideas?

Also any ideas for instrament panels, rudder pedals, and good throttle? Thanks!

You could try DCS, X-plane 11 (its rather expensive) or X-plane 10 (though I dont think its supported anymore).

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
once again no idea how old it is, and some members even questioned whether or not it was actually a "cub."

regardless, it is back in the sky!

DSC01254.jpg

flight went very well except for a weird dive tendency. power off it glided straight and level, but on certain inputs it would start to nose down. it was easily correctable but odd. after the flight the 45A esc was very warm so tonight i drilled 2 breathers in the firewall and 3D printed a scoop for the nose. we will fly it again tomorrow and see what happens. worst case i have more room on my walls for other planes...

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
once again no idea how old it is, and some members even questioned whether or not it was actually a "cub."

View attachment 133758

flight went very well except for a weird dive tendency. power off it glided straight and level, but on certain inputs it would start to nose down. it was easily correctable but odd. after the flight the 45A esc was very warm so tonight i drilled 2 breathers in the firewall and 3D printed a scoop for the nose. we will fly it again tomorrow and see what happens. worst case i have more room on my walls for other planes...

laters,

If all the control surfaces are neutral try shimming the motor up, it may have to much downward angle.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Apart from instructing, I obtained 4 older model aircraft, ( ElectraGlide, Zagi Razor, Electrafun, and a Whipit). Most are designed to use NiCad battery packs so they will be rebuilt to suit LiPos of course!

They are added to the list!

Have fun!

L Edge

Master member

View attachment 133758

laters,

Sight across the wing and see if there is any leading or trailing edge twist to the wing? Had that problem on a 180mph pylon racer.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Lost my Lidl plane to the great aircraft eating tree.
Threw stuff, poked stuff, tried climbing ( a little bit ), throwing a water bottle dragging a cord behind it to shake the tree ( it was too high up to throw to however ).
Good job it was cheap!!!

OliverW

Legendary member
My four star crashed for the final time. Part of it came off and I lost elevator. It doesn't look bad, but lots of hinges are done and the inside of the fuse is destroyed.
20190616_120218.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My four star crashed for the final time. Part of it came off and I lost elevator. It doesn't look bad, but lots of hinges are done and the inside of the fuse is destroyed. View attachment 133775
That is so easily repaired as the damage is minor in the scheme of things.

Here is a pic of mine which was just rebuild after it was given to me in pieces. It crashed because I reused the original servos and the top of the elevator servo just came off in flight.

IMG_2599.JPG

It was repaired, (WITHOUT THE PLANS) and put back in service where it suffered from a LOS event and plummeted from about 150ft up to impact on hard ground at full throttle. That crash drove the motor out through the canopy area!

Apart from the engine cowl all was rebuilt a different radio was fitted and it flies still!

Repair it! After all it has been through it deserves to live!

Have fun!

OliverW

Legendary member
That is so easily repaired as the damage is minor in the scheme of things.

Here is a pic of mine which was just rebuild after it was given to me in pieces. It crashed because I reused the original servos and the top of the elevator servo just came off in flight.

View attachment 133782

It was repaired, (WITHOUT THE PLANS) and put back in service where it suffered from a LOS event and plummeted from about 150ft up to impact on hard ground at full throttle. That crash drove the motor out through the canopy area!

Apart from the engine cowl all was rebuilt a different radio was fitted and it flies still!

Repair it! After all it has been through it deserves to live!

Have fun!
This thing was cheap, and I dont feel like rebuilding it for the 3rd time

Piotrsko

Master member
Went flying at the school down the street. Other than the FT bronco being twitchy, brought back everything totally intact. HMMM, must not be flying near ENOUGH to the edges of the sky. Going to have to fix THAT.

OliverW

Legendary member
It is your choice! May I suggest that you find someone to give it to so that they might rebuild it and enjoy it further!

That is how I got mine!

Have fun!
Yeah. I will ask around. I have another project that needs the motor, but probably everything else should be included.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
While I have little evidence of it, I spent a good deal of time and batteries, enjoying time at the flying field.
after maidening my Tony Tiger Explorer on Sat. I went back on Sunday.
Poor soldering joint cut the first flight of the day short. I learned of the great gliding the FT-Explorer can do.
Went home, fixed it and went back. Had a number of fun flights. a servo horn loosed, and caused a hard landing damaging the battery platform somewhat.

Then was setting the HS-Carrier and busted a prop. (unplanned movement during throttle up.:oops:)

Lastly onto the FT-SimpleSoarer. lots of fun. has a lockout or some such (I blame the camera direct plug-in for a brown out) and it spiraled to an unplanned landing.
Took the camera off, and sent it back up. had another control failure (lost signal?) and the plane ended up nosing in. It's probably best to rebuild this time.

Either way, it was a blast and 3 hours at the field.