FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
Only went and passed my A certificate for fixed wings!!! Yay!!!!!
Had to check what that entails. Found the BMFA thing that gives a rundown of everything required for your particular certificate. Very nice! Gives me an idea of areas to improve on and ways to challenge myself. I'm sure I can do that list, but how cleanly and precisely is the question...

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Had to check what that entails. Found the BMFA thing that gives a rundown of everything required for your particular certificate. Very nice! Gives me an idea of areas to improve on and ways to challenge myself. I'm sure I can do that list, but how cleanly and precisely is the question...
It's mostly about showing control and decision making. The motor out was especially hard today as it was very gusty. Making judgment of the approach and energy management a really difficult process.
And my terrible memory for extremely dull rules and regulations made the question and answers painful! !!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, for anyone crazy enough, here's how you get the"V certificate😉" for fixed wing:1.)execute a full turn while maintaining a high angle of attack throughout the turn. 2.) scrape a bush or low object with your elevator and then pull up and continue forward on a steep climb.3.) execute a "flop" landing.

Vimana89

Legendary member
It's mostly about showing control and decision making. The motor out was especially hard today as it was very gusty. Making judgment of the approach and energy management a really difficult process.
And my terrible memory for extremely dull rules and regulations made the question and answers painful! !!
The motor out would not be hard with a floaty,glidey plane, unless of course there's wind like you had. I could do it with the Sliver, but would have to be pretty deliberate with my trajectory and elevator, because she glides somewhat but can't really maintain a preferable angle of attack on landing approach without power.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The motor out would not be hard with a floaty,glidey plane, unless of course there's wind like you had. I could do it with the Sliver, but would have to be pretty deliberate with my trajectory and elevator, because she glides somewhat but can't really maintain a preferable angle of attack on landing approach without power.
Remember, your plane has to be over a kilogramme in weight and must have an undercarriage. Light, floaty planes don't qualify! Lol

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I went flying today. I flew my bloody brit a few times and broke 2 props, but when I replaced the prop the second time I went for a 10 inch prop which was a great decision! The plane flew much faster and had more thrust, and it didn’t have more torque like I expected. I also tried to train my dad on another plane that I built but the tail broke off on landing so now I can make a dedicated trainer for him.

shadeyB

Legendary member
Took my FT Corsair, Edge 540 and my Sukoi SU-34 out today :)
awesome day flying High Alpha with the Sukoi and learning to Hurricane - hover my Edge :) Getting the hang of it now
Tested my new small camera out also however i forgot to hook and loop the edge & Corsair so only footage of ma crazy fast sukoi
IMG_1962.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here is a recorded flight of the new Sliver. There was some moderate wind with stiff gusts that made slow high alpha sketchy, so I didn't do too much of that in this video.

Here's one of the last ever flights of the beat up prototype. This is all the high alpha stuff!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Took my FT Corsair, Edge 540 and my Sukoi SU-34 out today :)
awesome day flying High Alpha with the Sukoi and learning to Hurricane - hover my Edge :) Getting the hang of it now
Tested my new small camera out also however i forgot to hook and loop the edge & Corsair so only footage of ma crazy fast sukoi
View attachment 134317
The SU-34 flies great! High alpha wing rock can get intense in the wind. The dihedral tips and super slender wing of my own plane can make it pretty drastic in windy conditions.

shadeyB

Legendary member
The SU-34 flies great! High alpha wing rock can get intense in the wind. The dihedral tips and super slender wing of my own plane can make it pretty drastic in windy conditions.

Love it :) going to activate my Canards on the SU to draw air flow over the top & maybe open up the spoilerons to help the tail

Vimana89

Legendary member
Waiting for this windy streak to end. Looks like I'll have time this morning to fly the Sliver and if I'm lucky test out my FPV quad. The tailed AET slender delta build is coming up soon, and then I'm gonna do something basic and straight wing before heading into new territory. I think I may revive my tandem wing plane idea, with a straight rear pusher and nice fancy airliner nose.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This weekend was beautiful so I flew a lot. I also cut out all of my FDM-BoT. And began glueing I realized I need to get it taped. Which means I need to decide.
Also flew my sailfly+X quad. Into a mailbox. Just a prop broke.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I continued my BoT building. mostly it was taping the foam. Last night I decided on Color Scheme. Big thanks to @TexMechsRobot for sharing his build information.
Part of what draws me to the BoT is the orange creamsicle look.
images

I will be adding red to the the ends. Wing tips, rudder, and nose tip.
but for now, from the top, I am making it like you see. orange horiz. stab and black underside. except one wing underside will have nose to tip Black and white stripes