FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

time to eat a little crow. i broke rule #1, always test before you post... :rolleyes:

i had tested the batteries and had a voltage of 4.59v so i felt ok. i plugged it in and everything was fine until i started using the servos. it lasted about 3 secs before they just started to freak out. i doubled checked them on a servo tester to confirm they weren't the problem. both checked good. tried again, same result.

turns out the 9g servos vs. the 5g's i had used on the DLG were drawing considerably more from the battery. the voltage was dropping the battery below 4v and the servos don't like that.

after some consultation, and possibility of considerable more work (which i don't want to do), it was decided to first change the batteries.

i installed 3 new Duracell's and retried.

life is good again! the new batteries are able to handle the load and all works fine. i don't need to fly far, i just need to fly. this solves that problem.

so, IF you attempt anything like this make sure you aren't using HF batteries. :ROFLMAO:

laters,

me :cool:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

time to eat a little crow. i broke rule #1, always test before you post... :rolleyes:

i had tested the batteries and had a voltage of 4.59v so i felt ok. i plugged it in and everything was fine until i started using the servos. it lasted about 3 secs before they just started to freak out. i doubled checked them on a servo tester to confirm they weren't the problem. both checked good. tried again, same result.

turns out the 9g servos vs. the 5g's i had used on the DLG were drawing considerably more from the battery. the voltage was dropping the battery below 4v and the servos don't like that.

after some consultation, and possibility of considerable more work (which i don't want to do), it was decided to first change the batteries.

i installed 3 new Duracell's and retried.

life is good again! the new batteries are able to handle the load and all works fine. i don't need to fly far, i just need to fly. this solves that problem.

so, IF you attempt anything like this make sure you aren't using HF batteries. :ROFLMAO:

laters,

I often use a 1s for those little OrangeRx’s without any issues. I can use a 150 mah 1s with two flitetest 5gram servos for over a half hour and still have over 3.80 volts left. Can’t say how long it will go, but it will go a while.

Good luck with your glider 😉.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I often use a 1s for those little OrangeRx’s without any issues. I can use a 150 mah 1s with two flitetest 5gram servos for over a half hour and still have over 3.80 volts left. Can’t say how long it will go, but it will go a while.

Good luck with your glider 😉.

very interesting. thanks for the info. I never would have guessed you could actually get it work for that long.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm starting to mess around with video editors. The first one I tired was on a recommended list I found on the internet, will probably try a few of the ones recommended to me here as well before paying for anything. This one's pretty simple and user friendly but free trial version has a watermark on the screen.

Here is my first attempt at an edited video flight compilation of several different clips. No music or text(haven't messed with that yet) but I think it came out pretty clean. It's some of the better bits of footage of the V-Sliver prototype and 1.0 versions. Let me know what you guys think!

OliverW

Legendary member
Flew all but the heavy metal which my dad flew. Got about 50 touch-and-gos with the RV4
20190713_153500.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thought of an awesome idea for my next attempt at a BAC TSR-2! Make it scale it up 3x from micro which would be a 26" wing and a fatty rear fuselage of 6" wide, and bump the motor up to 1900kv 2806. Slot the 5"prop right at the end and make a profile piece that looks like twin engine nozzles. This will be a thrust vectoring elevator that replaces any complicated split or slanted elevators and allows me to have a scale slant on the tail plane, and gives me more authority to boot. Crude sketch here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, my glider took flight. at least for a few feet until the tow plane dove hard right and broke both props and lost a power pod.

i wasn't sold on @Rasterize 's tow hook up but hey, my plane only cost $5 so why not?

in his defense we did have a nice cross wind that made things a lot harder.

DSC01421.jpg

we will try again next saturday with hopefully a little better luck.

in the mean time i did finally manage to get some quality video footage from my explore. nothing epic or earth shattering but still proof that i can capture high quality, 4K vid from the air.

20190621_154625 (1).jpg

question now is....what do i work on today?

Mountain Models DLG, my F-22, FT Legacy, or just repairs to everything else?

laters,

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
well, my glider took flight. at least for a few feet until the tow plane dove hard right and broke both props and lost a power pod.

i wasn't sold on @Rasterize 's tow hook up but hey, it wasn't my plane that was gonna die so why not?

in his defense we did have a nice cross wind that made things a lot harder.

View attachment 136082

we will try again next saturday with hopefully a little better luck.

in the mean time i did finally manage to get some quality video footage from my explore. nothing epic or earth shattering but still proof that i can capture high quality, 4K vid from the air.

View attachment 136083

question now is....what do i work on today?

Mountain Models DLG, my F-22, FT Legacy, or just repairs to everything else?

laters,

DLG

Vimana89

Legendary member
Doing some building. Here's my "V-Lancer" in pieces before assembly. Hopefully this one works out well and helps me learn to fly AET.(and by fly AET, I mean gratuitous amounts of barrel rolls!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Tronglodon

IMG_20190712_082627.jpg

My big win from the long weekend at Flite Fest was the Storch. This plane flew amazingly well, just as slow and floaty as I wanted, but could get speedy and acrobatic a bit as well. Flight times were 10 minutes plus. It also got lit up with LEDs for night flying. Since I flew out from California the Storch got left behind, gifted to someone I met that weekend on the flight line. Now that I'm back home I'm going to build another.
IMG_20190712_221335_272.jpg

The Night Sun with my 11 year old kid for size comparison.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I finished my V-Lancer air frame. No rush to install electronics because windy out, so while I've got the table dirty and foam out I'm going to start on my scaled up BAC TSR-2. I just scaled up everything and have the new measurements. Wingspan just over 24". It will be fairly large, but FT radial 2205 and gem fan 5x5.5x3 should be plenty of thrust.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
IT FINALLY ARRIVED!!!!! :p

ordered this from Horizon back on October 18th of 2018. just showed up today. :rolleyes:

this is the 2nd time i have had this issue with Horizon and as a result have not purchased anything from them since. 10 months is WAY to long to wait for anything now a days. Horizon needs to get their act together and stop this nonsense of offering planes before they have them, then dragging their feet to actually get them delivered. my V900 was almost as long of a wait. each time i would call customer service i would be promised that it would be shipping this month only to find it pushed back another. :(

anyways, at least i finally got it.

20190716_145510.jpg

maiden will happen tomorrow morning with any luck.

laters,

Vimana89

Legendary member
That one looks really cool!!
Thanks, I had one like it a little while back when messing with the first RETjet and V Sliver prototypes, and started getting used to it after a few crashes. Got reckless and flew it in heavy winds and gusts took it all the way across the highway and never to be seen. I busted off a timid barrel roll or two before that though. I've done a lot of RET planes and want to break into 3ch AET for full roll control and ailerons, so I figure with my experience now, I'm ready, and might as well do it on a familiar platform(this is basically a tailed AET Sliver with winglets in place of dihedrals). I'll call it the V-Lancer, and it will basically be a variation of my original theme.