FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
Motor still getting hot and cutting out early different prop same battery. I'll go back to 850 75c which has worked so far. Don't think prop choice is causing it. This is either battery choice or the motor is faulty. It does seem to have a touch of odd noise. It has run good so far till now though. Update: same story with 850. I have one spare 1806 laying around. My last attempt until I replace it I cut some venting voles for better flow to the ESC. If that doesn't fix the problem, I think I have to replace the motor.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Air holes look cool and certainly don't hurt but problem persists. It's gotta be the motor. I might have damaged in a crash, and if I recall, there was one that spun up pretty high by accident with no prop when setting up electronics. Could have been this motor and weakened it. Well, I have one more of the same exact motor lying around I'll swap and see what happens. Really want to fly a full 1300 through this plane that would be boss.

Vimana89

Legendary member
So. Second 1806 motor is doing little better. It still cuts out every few minutes of flight and it very hot to touch.It is a black motor on a black plane in 93 degree heat, that may be a part. It should have the power with 6x3 props to keep my plane airborne as it has done in the past. Maybe these 1806 motors need a smaller,lighter airframe? The Graupner 2806 1900kv performed flawlessly on the V Sliver. The 1806 on my other delta did fine today, although I'd like to try again shortly if I can and check for consistency. Maybe I need to ask around or start a thread somewhere for this motor issue.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So. Second 1806 motor is doing little better. It still cuts out every few minutes of flight and it very hot to touch.It is a black motor on a black plane in 93 degree heat, that may be a part. It should have the power with 6x3 props to keep my plane airborne as it has done in the past. Maybe these 1806 motors need a smaller,lighter airframe? The Graupner 2806 1900kv performed flawlessly on the V Sliver. The 1806 on my other delta did fine today, although I'd like to try again shortly if I can and check for consistency. Maybe I need to ask around or start a thread somewhere for this motor issue.

Yeah once ambient temperatures start rising you'll start to see some cooling issues, if you just prop down a little bit or go easier on the throttle your problem should go away.

a 5x3 two blade might work good in this scenario.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sounds like a fun time👍.That's a cool looking plane that club member has, that looks like a longer more stable long EZ.

That's a custom designed canard - and his "baby" one specifically built for a smaller 3s power system for our pylon racing. I think he's done 5 or 6 variations refining this design over the years.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Yeah once ambient temperatures start rising you'll start to see some cooling issues, if you just prop down a little bit or go easier on the throttle your problem should go away.

a 5x3 two blade might work good in this scenario.
Good call.I got plenty of those which are too anemic for most of my planes, but the tailed Nutball needs very little thrust to fly well, so should be fine. It's a bigger bird than mighty mini size, with a big round heavily dihedraled, draggy wing. I took the AET delta out again, same motor, and it was quite hot when done, but went through a whole 850 no hiccups. Thinking size and drag plays a part. I think I'll use 2205 or 2806 for this size range from now on, as the Sliver worked great. I'll try smaller, lighter planes with the 1806 from now on probably.

Vimana89

Legendary member
That's a custom designed canard - and his "baby" one specifically built for a smaller 3s power system for our pylon racing. I think he's done 5 or 6 variations refining this design over the years.
That's awesome. I figured it might be a custom design. I love the shape and overall profile, the long fuselage and the high mounted canards. Great design. I know that feeling when a custom plane is a winner and can only get better over time and adjustment. I have a few working ones, but only one so far past the prototype stage and performing exceptionally well. I read an article recently about modern jets with "supermaneuverability" doing crowd pleasers at air shows beyond loops and rolls. I looked at every move on the list,"Pugachev's Cobra" etc. and they were all high alpha maneuvers I'd done just messing around on my little foamy V Sliver, so it can't be a half bad design😎.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
More overheating problems, even the AET plane. It's these 1806 radials going to start another thread. Something with the way they relate to other electronics I'm using, or maybe I'm putting them on mid sized planes that have more demanding needs? I swapped my 2205 radial onto the AET bird and will test shortly when I get a chance, but I doubt I'll have issues.

Wildthing

Legendary member
More overheating problems, even the AET plane. It's these 1806 radials going to start another thread. Something with the way they relate to other electronics I'm using, or maybe I'm putting them on mid sized planes that have more demanding needs? I swapped my 2205 radial onto the AET bird and will test shortly when I get a chance, but I doubt I'll have issues.
How many amps and watts is it pulling with the setup you are running?

Vimana89

Legendary member
How many amps and watts is it pulling with the setup you are running?
Not sure, to be honest. Haven't really taught myself how to measure all that. I think A small tool may have come with one of my higher end batteries at one point for measuring something or other. not sure I kept it. What I do know is, I'm running a FT radial 1806, 11.1v 3s 850 mAh battery. Think they are 45c, and used 75c before as well. I'm running a 12A ESC on those setups. Both are(were) on planes that could be considered mid sized, and I think that could be the biggest problem. The TNB has a good amount of lift but a lot of drag, and the AET delta is more the opposite, and both seem to be too big and demanding platforms.

Vimana89

Legendary member
What I can tell you about the handling and performance with the 1806, It felt like a rally car trying to run on a dirt bike motor. It needed a bit of a shove at launch not to dip, and the thrust stream was too weak to contribute much to the already modest elevator authority. It was struggling around with no power to spare. This vid from this morning is after bumping up to a 2205 Radial and 20A ESC. I start off kind of timid, but after gunning the throttle a bit at the 2:05 mark, things get good. The plane no longer gets too hot to function, but it sure is much spicier! There's power to spare, more climb authority, etc. I unintentionally did a strange Immelmann-like roll at around 3:10.

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Put a few flights on my 450 Airwolf Sunday evening. Great flying little heli!

Attachments

• 2575A519-2640-4D52-B3B1-A69174519633.jpeg
    2575A519-2640-4D52-B3B1-A69174519633.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 024DA583-947F-4B95-AE90-F4504EA8571A.jpeg
    024DA583-947F-4B95-AE90-F4504EA8571A.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ADB0DDFA-A7A9-4C3D-BF48-9E9D5B7CB137.jpeg
    ADB0DDFA-A7A9-4C3D-BF48-9E9D5B7CB137.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
Not sure, to be honest. Haven't really taught myself how to measure all that. I think A small tool may have come with one of my higher end batteries at one point for measuring something or other. not sure I kept it. What I do know is, I'm running a FT radial 1806, 11.1v 3s 850 mAh battery. Think they are 45c, and used 75c before as well. I'm running a 12A ESC on those setups. Both are(were) on planes that could be considered mid sized, and I think that could be the biggest problem. The TNB has a good amount of lift but a lot of drag, and the AET delta is more the opposite, and both seem to be too big and demanding platforms.

You need to invest in one of these, I think anyone in this hobby should have one.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-hk-010-wattmeter-voltage-analyzer.html

It sounds like you need to step up your power setup a bit. For me a medium aircraft means nothing, what it weighs is a whole other thing. If you know roughly how many oz of thrust your setup is suppose to give you and your plane weighs twice as much it isn't going to fly good. ;)

Vimana89

Legendary member
You need to invest in one of these, I think anyone in this hobby should have one.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-hk-010-wattmeter-voltage-analyzer.html

It sounds like you need to step up your power setup a bit. For me a medium aircraft means nothing, what it weighs is a whole other thing. If you know roughly how many oz of thrust your setup is suppose to give you and your plane weighs twice as much it isn't going to fly good. ;)
I'll have to pick one up. I think the things I saw that came with a battery looked more like this https://www.banggood.com/Lipo-Batte...mpaign=pa-us-toys-rcparts-pc&cur_warehouse=CN

which I don't think has all the proper functions. I would say fully loaded, the plane could not have been much more than 11 ounces. The thrust setup you see now in the above video, after upping to 2205, is where it should be and it did a whole 850 on that no problems. I'll try some more tomorrow morning and feel how hot it is right after it lands, but 2205 is plenty of motor for this setup, so if that starts overheating I know something else is very wrong.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'll have to pick one up. I think the things I saw that came with a battery looked more like this https://www.banggood.com/Lipo-Batte...mpaign=pa-us-toys-rcparts-pc&cur_warehouse=CN

which I don't think has all the proper functions. I would say fully loaded, the plane could not have been much more than 11 ounces. The thrust setup you see now in the above video, after upping to 2205, is where it should be and it did a whole 850 on that no problems. I'll try some more tomorrow morning and feel how hot it is right after it lands, but 2205 is plenty of motor for this setup, so if that starts overheating I know something else is very wrong.

That little tester is great for out in the field to quickly test the battery, I have two of them. The gauge I showed you tells you what that motor/prop combination is pulling period which you can do at home before you even leave the house . .

Vimana89

Legendary member
That little tester is great for out in the field to quickly test the battery, I have two of them. The gauge I showed you tells you what that motor/prop combination is pulling period which you can do at home before you even leave the house . .
I plan to do a bit of shopping soon for another batch of RC parts and supplies to maintain and expand my fleet, so I'll make sure to pick it up. For now, the simple solution of using a bigger motor worked. My 2205 and 2806 handle my planes just fine.

Hoomi

Master member
I glued the weapons pylons onto the 64mm A-10 this evening, and painted the foam surfaces where the bombs & missiles had been cut away. I have small rare-earth magnets glued in both the pylons and the weapons, if I want to attach them for either display or even flight.