FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
It's pretty docile and easy to fly, and looks very nice in the air. A good prototype, but needs a bit bigger control surfaces and a little more power if I want it to be as overpowered, agile, and high alpha capable as the small version.

FDS

Elite member
image.jpg
A fine illustration of why I need to not try and fly through the rugby posts with everything. Was at the other end of the pitch, parallax was my nemesis. On the plus side I was flying super smooth and controlled up to that point, which bodes well for my foray into wings.

Vimana89

Legendary member
More prop testing on the Floating Kidney design for FTFC20. This plane is very nice, like the Cadillac of Nutballs, and it glides/dead-sticks like a boss, and with the right prop, has some really solid high alpha. It's easy to fly, maneuverable,loops easy.Anyone not already in this challenge should seriously consider joining in the fun!There are so many designs to choose from and it doesn't have to be complicated to turn out awesome. This was designed as a chuck glider in 1947! Planes like the Nutball have been popular in aeromodelling longer than most people think.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

skymaster

Elite member
My first try at scratch building the corsair and it whent bad all crooked not the way it supposed to go. so as bad as it whent i will try to maiden and painted rusty . and that will be it's name. will try to rebuild but i have some plans for the present wings on the corsair that match a fantasy plane.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Another thing I wanted to share that will make a fun and easy to throw together experiment...I've been looking at reverse delta shapes a bit, and have an idea for a unique RET plane that's different from most in a major way:using anhedral rather than positive dihedral. From what I gathered, anhedral on this shape adds a lot of ground effect and some extra lift, not to mention taking away some excess stability for more maneuverability(better banking and no Dutch roll). It should otherwise serve the same function as dihedral to couple roll and yaw, as far as I know. If it sucks, Nothing lost, it's basically as easy to build as a Nutball.

Attachments

• IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
UPDATE: this flew like crap. Anhedral wing just wanted to invert and be completely unstable all the time, not just when I wanted it to. The shape will fly, but probably with normal dihedrals. That would certainly look cool, but maybe not fly so much different or unique from a Flyer or Nutball.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Those sorts of failures are a lot less annoying when you got a few good reliable planes that do fly. This baby continues to fly well,may still need a hair of subtrim and/or trim to fly perfectly straight while the stick is dead center no throws, she's very smooth already. No way to get into an unrecoverable stall, but not particularly aerobatic or overpowered. A very nice simple cruiser that banks gracefully for a RET plane and cuts a nice profile in the air. If I go too low on throttle I can get the plane into a pretty drastic and hilarious Dutch roll, but it's harmless and I can stop it at any time. Very stable and steady on moderate to higher speeds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I didn't fly today as a result of a bit confusion as to which field I was giving lessons at today and my students didn't turn up, but then it is Father's day here!

What I did do was to watch 2 planes, I gifted away last week, make their maiden flights with their new owner. A differential thrust Sea Duck, (original FT SBK), and a repaired Avios Sea Fury which had been partially melted and rebuilt with the foam out of FB scraps with the paper removed!

Both planes performed perfectly. It made all of the work worthwhile.

Have fun!

jthulin

After looking at the mocked up canopy on the Harvard, I decided that it didn’t look quite right. Reducing the height fixed that. Photos recall the evolution from first test fit to finished framework. FYI the middle assembly without cutouts weighs 13 grams, the final assembly is 4 grams!

Attachments

• 4B10B1F4-70D3-4DA6-875C-A0CF01E729F3.jpeg
    4B10B1F4-70D3-4DA6-875C-A0CF01E729F3.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 0
  • 3EFAD8FA-4389-487F-A1A4-23081DB4CA60.jpeg
    3EFAD8FA-4389-487F-A1A4-23081DB4CA60.jpeg
    923.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1E75B234-9525-495D-BC15-5DA7BE2C885F.jpeg
    1E75B234-9525-495D-BC15-5DA7BE2C885F.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 0

OliverW

Legendary member
On our way back from the best huckfest yet!!!3D Ken gave me his 120cc extreme flight slick 580!
20190831_193940.jpg

Attachments

• 20190901_090843.jpg
    20190901_090843.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0