FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

MacandRita

Tonight I shifted the control wires out 2 holes on the servo arms so I could get the recommended throws for my simple cub. Then I programmed the failsafe and set up the dual rates and expos. Had to trim the elevator to allow full throw on the rudder. My power meter turned up in the mail today so will solder connectors on and check amp draw to make sure the esc will handle the motor prop combination before I commit to a maiden flight hopefully Sunday.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Tonight I shifted the control wires out 2 holes on the servo arms so I could get the recommended throws for my simple cub. Then I programmed the failsafe and set up the dual rates and expos. Had to trim the elevator to allow full throw on the rudder. My power meter turned up in the mail today so will solder connectors on and check amp draw to make sure the esc will handle the motor prop combination before I commit to a maiden flight hopefully Sunday.

What is the BEC amp rating on the esc and how many servos will you be running?

MacandRita

What is the BEC amp rating on the esc and how many servos will you be running?
Hi Wildthing,
BEC is 2 amp and will just be running 2 9g servos initially in 3 channel mode. Looking to add ailerons at a later date. Motor is a D2836/8 1100kv with a 10/4.5 slowfly prop and specs were 18 amp draw. I am using a 30 amp plush esc and others have suggested I may need a 40 amp esc so I bought an inline power meter to check actual amp draw and will do a timed bench test with prop on to get an approx safe flite time. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hi Wildthing,
BEC is 2 amp and will just be running 2 9g servos initially in 3 channel mode. Looking to add ailerons at a later date. Motor is a D2836/8 1100kv with a 10/4.5 slowfly prop and specs were 18 amp draw. I am using a 30 amp plush esc and others have suggested I may need a 40 amp esc so I bought an inline power meter to check actual amp draw and will do a timed bench test with prop on to get an approx safe flite time. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

With only 2 servos you will be fine. The bec and esc amp rating are totally separate so you don't combine the 2.

Ihichi Bolls

Went to the park to fly the Gremlin a bit and ended up trying to teach 3 very excited boys and their sister how to fly.

A bent prop, cut velcro battery strap and a dead microswift camera later the older boy managed a few short flights til he paniced and went full throttle and froze so I couldnt move the stick down.

Ended up disarming at about 40-50 ft right over a big oak to watch it pinball off every branch on the way down

MacandRita

Wired up the power meter and bench tested the power train. Full noise it was pulling 25 amps and had some heat in the esc. Still able to hold but hot. No issue at lesser throttle so reset the top end point on the TX throttle channel back to 70%. The human hand clamp was suggesting this would be more than enough thrust for this plane and I don't want to cook the esc on my maiden. Going to practise taxiing up and down the driveway before maiden tomorrow. These little motors can sure move some air.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Just got home from flying the L-39 and the Diamond. It was gusting to around 15, but both those planes are so locked in you could hardly notice.

OliverW

Legendary member
Disassembling the mxs... never seen a wing destroyed quite like this..
20191009_163534.jpg
20191009_163534.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
Finished this bird up. CG is good. Gonna maiden it tomorrow. View attachment 145307
At first I didn't know quite what I was looking at. Now THAT's a proper flyer for any occasion(except wind), and crashes won't feel so salty. You need to make yourself a delta or two as well. Your old wombat, your FTFC20, or you can join me and @Grifflyer and make an Arrowhead, the new model has no more tip stall/roll issues and looks extra sick. There's always the old V Sliver if you want snap RET turns and crazy high alpha, or there's the classic FT delta.

OliverW

Legendary member
At first I didn't know quite what I was looking at. Now THAT's a proper flyer for any occasion(except wind), and crashes won't feel so salty. You need to make yourself a delta or two as well. Your old wombat, your FTFC20, or you can join me and @Grifflyer and make an Arrowhead, the new model has no more tip stall/roll issues and looks extra sick. There's always the old V Sliver if you want snap RET turns and crazy high alpha, or there's the classic FT delta.
I am hoping for some force one plan time tomorrow...

Vimana89

Legendary member
I am hoping for some force one plan time tomorrow...
Sounds awesome. Know how I said it was neat for having AET instead of elevons? It required that before mixing, but will just be more work and weight and less efficient. Definitely just do elevons instead on it because its a tailless design. Other than that, it's a really nice straight-forward prop in slot. It should fly a bit like my Vulcan, which is really smooth and easy.