FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
Edited some flight footage of the new Arrowhead. Lots of rolls(only to the right until I fix thrust angle), some loops, fast,slow, just general fun.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
to quote Monty Python, "...and now for something completely different." :ROFLMAO:

i was bored the other day and was itching to do something different. i had recently disassembled my flying mario cart and had been thinking about the 2 contra-rotating motors i had used and wanted to do something similar. i started looking around the plane room and spotted my old Delta wing that i had setup w/ twim EDF's. one of the EDF's had ate itself doing pancakes spins (ooops... :sneaky:) but other than that it was fine.

i pulled it out, ripped off the remaining EDF, patched the holes, cut a prop slot, designed and printed some motor mounts, and glued on 2 x 2204-2300kv motors! ;)

20191016_160436.jpg

testing showed that not only did it balance perfectly with a 3S-1300, but with the 30a esc (major overkill), and the opposing motors, neither was working hard at all. the maiden flight was eventless as expected except for the "Stuka" like siren that the opposing props made. i had a blast dive bombing the field each time i flew. :LOL:

i am currently using a 5x4.5 speed prop on the front motor, and a 6x4.5 on the rear. my thinking was the front was doing most of the initial work so a smaller prop would allow less load, while still getting the air moving. i went for the bigger 6" in the rear knowing that once again, most of the work had been done and it could easily handle the bigger prop. i will start playing with some different props and sizes and see what gives the best power v. efficiency. if i get crazy, i may swap the cheap HobbySky motors i am currently using for some Emax 2205-2300kv's and go from 2-1 thrust ratio up to 3-1.

if i build another, i will design and print a dual motor mount setup that has both motor mounts connected w/ with cut-out parts that include the base plates (eliminate the balsa) and will make sure that both motors are aligned perfectly straight with each other.:devilish:

laters,

me :cool:

Vimana89

Legendary member
to quote Monty Python, "...and now for something completely different." :ROFLMAO:

i was bored the other day and was itching to do something different. i had recently disassembled my flying mario cart and had been thinking about the 2 contra-rotating motors i had used and wanted to do something similar. i started looking around the plane room and spotted my old Delta wing that i had setup w/ twim EDF's. one of the EDF's had ate itself doing pancakes spins (ooops... :sneaky:) but other than that it was fine.

i pulled it out, ripped off the remaining EDF, patched the holes, cut a prop slot, designed and printed some motor mounts, and glued on 2 x 2204-2300kv motors! ;)

View attachment 145845

testing showed that not only did it balance perfectly with a 3S-1300, but with the 30a esc (major overkill), and the opposing motors, neither was working hard at all. the maiden flight was eventless as expected except for the "Stuka" like siren that the opposing props made. i had a blast dive bombing the field each time i flew. :LOL:

i am currently using a 5x4.5 speed prop on the front motor, and a 6x4.5 on the rear. my thinking was the front was doing most of the initial work so a smaller prop would allow less load, while still getting the air moving. i went for the bigger 6" in the rear knowing that once again, most of the work had been done and it could easily handle the bigger prop. i will start playing with some different props and sizes and see what gives the best power v. efficiency. if i get crazy, i may swap the cheap HobbySky motors i am currently using for some Emax 2205-2300kv's and go from 2-1 thrust ratio up to 3-1.

if i build another, i will design and print a dual motor mount setup that has both motor mounts connected w/ with cut-out parts that include the base plates (eliminate the balsa) and will make sure that both motors are aligned perfectly straight with each other.:devilish:

laters,

I remember that one when it had the twin EDF units! That was a cool idea, and I like this version a lot too. I've been curious about trying a similar contra-rotating setup on some plane or another some time, but I might make it as a high mount nacelle.

Vimana89

Legendary member
It flew awesome! But if it sits at a angle that is slightly off from level, it warps and is hard to control ultimately exploding it.
Yeah the full sheet is too big and floppy without some sort of spar or air foil that makes sense. That was a cool plane though. I might try a flat Nutball with elevons soon myself, that shape is a bit sturdier on one sheet. You could even just down size the wing to a smaller box. Either way, what's not to like about just sticking a motor on a basic geometric shape and doing science🤓👍

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i have been wanting to build a balsa pylon racer for some time. i think that time is now... :devilish:

20191101_135525.jpg

i have a F80-2500kv motor that is just looking for a home. should do nicely. battery, prop, ESC are to be determined once i get it all together and can do some testing. i'm guessing 4S, 40A, and 5x6 speed prop. cross fingers.

laters,

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Here's some video of my mini mustang!

I'm using a 2730 1500kv blue wonder with an 8x4 prop and a tiny little 300mah 2s. It flies for 3-4 minutes WOT which I use almost constantly to maintain altitude.:eek: Doing loops and rolls feels pretty sketchy with this plane, I think it lacks elevator authority. The second video was my first good landing with this plane, the first few times I tried landing it deadstick, but yesterday I found the correct approach speed!:)

Sorry about the blurry video.:oops:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
and on a completely diff note...

last fall i challenged the club members to build a flying car and then to race it for bragging rights. building a flying car was not enough for me, i had to make it something more and chose to use a crazy, counter rotating, 2 motor set-up. in the end it worked, it won the race, but died in the process.

on the last lap the prop hit the dirt and busted the prop and the motor mount that held the motors together. since then it has been sitting waiting for me to get bored enough again to pull it back out and do something with it.

well today was that day. i had been thinking about how to fix it for a few days and when stripping an old plane today, i realized i had what i needed. replace the broken twin with an old C-pack 2215-9.

20191102_170403.jpg

Mario will live to FLY AGAIN!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

the final race...

laters,