FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
@Rasterize gave me a big roll of paper on saturday. kinda funny to see what it's actually going to be size wise. you can talk about 250% scale all you want, but until you actually see it... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

20191103_162447.jpg

20191103_155328.jpg

stay tuned...

laters,

me :cool:

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
oh, and i also did this today... ;)

20191103_153736.jpg

may need to rethink my motor choice, didn't think it was this small. also had to order servos, the smallest i had weren't small enough. however, i really enjoyed working with the wood and sanding and shaping the wing and tail surfaces. now i just gotta learn how to fiberglass. :unsure:

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
If you are talking fiberglassing the above plane it will get way to heavy, I would finish it the way it is to keep as light as possible.

i am worried that the wood will not last without some protection. i fly off a dirt field and afraid landing will kill it over time. i'm new at this balsa built speed thing so any input would be appreciated. i don think weight will be an issue and all of the hand built pylon racers of this size that i have seen have all been glassed.

thanks,

Wildthing

Legendary member
i am worried that the wood will not last without some protection. i fly off a dirt field and afraid landing will kill it over time. i'm new at this balsa built speed thing so any input would be appreciated. i don think weight will be an issue and all of the hand built pylon racers of this size that i have seen have all been glassed.

thanks,

How about iron on covering?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
oh, and i also did this today... ;)

View attachment 147085

may need to rethink my motor choice, didn't think it was this small. also had to order servos, the smallest i had weren't small enough. however, i really enjoyed working with the wood and sanding and shaping the wing and tail surfaces. now i just gotta learn how to fiberglass. :unsure:

laters,

Sooo does that monster edf get top mounted or bottom as It does not look like it has a home inside that air frame? o_O

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Sooo does that monster edf get top mounted or bottom as It does not look like it has a home inside that air frame? o_O

nope, no EDF on this. i had that out to show someone what an EDF looked like. i will probably end up putting that on a wing, fabbing some landing gear, and letting it rip. although its a 70mm it's only rated for 3S and is heavy for it's thrust output. i have a 70mm 12 blade that uses 4S that makes this look like a baby.

good to see you back.

laters,

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thank you sir. I just had to poke ya a bit as its interesting and I am clueless to post something about a balsa build made for speed. I zeroed in on the edf and saw my chance so I took it.:)

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
The guys on the inav telegram group came accross something juicy, long range peoples will enjoy it!
photo_2019-11-04_13-26-16.jpg
1.3ghz 600mw vtx and module format vrx with nice antennas, I will certainly put that on my LR glider.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well I think it is ready for it’s maiden. Swapped out a 40A esc to 50A to give me a little more nose weight. 1800 3S battery , esc and rx is all I can get into the bay 😃 . Took that spinner and modified the base and mid parts then added a skirt to somewhat hide the motor, married them and printed out a one piece design. I am torn on the looks of it but it does look better then with the motor showing. Suppose to go up to +1C today but it has also started raining/snowing so freezing rain always makes for fun slippery roads.

2019_1108_072554_001.JPG
2019_1108_072559_002.JPG
2019_1108_072610_003.JPG
2019_1108_072641_004.JPG
2019_1108_072659_005.JPG

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I got some more info about the new matek 1.3ghz system
"The VTX will be $35 and the VRX will be $40. It’s about 800mW power output. VTX has a built in mic! Will be available mid Nov."

Thats nice stuff