FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
@PsyBorg good, finally out of the fire and power shutoff times, we got lots of rain now and im back into building. I have 2 or 3 projects on the bench right now. My Glassrat (ridge rat copy in figerglass), scat cat 500 somebody gave me, and a couple im deciding on to build in inkscape.

Out of the bag:
IMG_20191203_075246.jpg IMG_20191203_075255.jpg IMG_20191203_075319.jpg IMG_20191203_075329.jpg

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I have been building a new flying wing and I was able to cut two wings from each blank, the result is a forward swept flying wing.
I covered it with paper and im currently trying to fix my 3d printer to make a nice pod for it, I think it should fly quite well.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Taking a break from programming my new Jumper T16 Pro TX so I broke out Lizzie, my Lizard on Skis, put a motor and rx back into her. Built her about 3 years ago, works awesome in water or fresh powder snow, hard packed snow it still does good bit way more fun on fresh snow. She has mechanical steering up front and motor is thrust vectoring so she turns on a dime, turns so good you have to be careful you don't dump her over.

2019_1209_105312_001.JPG
2019_1209_105333_002.JPG
2019_1209_105342_003.JPG
2019_1209_105349_004.JPG

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Taking a break from programming my new Jumper T16 Pro TX so I broke out Lizzie, my Lizard on Skis, put a motor and rx back into her. Built her about 3 years ago, works awesome in water or fresh powder snow, hard packed snow it still does good bit way more fun on fresh snow. She has mechanical steering up front and motor is thrust vectoring so she turns on a dime, turns so good you have to be careful you don't dump her over.

View attachment 150392 View attachment 150393 View attachment 150394 View attachment 150395
You HAVE to post a video of that, it looks incredible!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I will once it warms up a tad and the wind goes away, woke up to -20C and a 40km/h wind so I really don't want to step out of the house :D

feel for ya man. i lived at 7200ft elevation in Wyoming for most of my life. it wasn't so much the temps or lack of O2, but the wind that killed me. it is soul wrenching, no way i could deal with that now. i now live in Tucson and enjoyed a nice 68 degree day with sunshine today. yes, it will be "chilly" this saturday morning at the field but i promise it will be no where close to freezing. ;)

laters,

me :cool:

Vimana89

Legendary member
So far. I put out a new project design. The armored corvette
Love it, already on the thread for it...what intrigues me is the vertical stabilizers are all along the undersides of the wind pointing down. I'm far from an expert in aerodynamics, but it shouldn't really cause a problem as far as I can see. Other than that, a nice and straight forward tandem wing.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Love it, already on the thread for it...what intrigues me is the vertical stabilizers are all along the undersides of the wind pointing down. I'm far from an expert in aerodynamics, but it shouldn't really cause a problem as far as I can see. Other than that, a nice and straight forward tandem wing.
thanks I'm glad you saw it. I picked that one to do first as it is more like a traditional plane. the rest are more like a planker (which I am still working out how to get them balanced right). when I understand them better.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

View attachment 150392 View attachment 150393 View attachment 150394 View attachment 150395
that design kick's butt - well done

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I finished the forward swept flying wing and took it for a quick flight just before it got dark
DSC_3624.JPG
It flies really well, really aerodynamic so it picks up speed quickly and doesnt like to loose it and quite pitchy because of large control surfaces (those wings are too rigid for positive pitch feedback)
It does drift in yaw a little bit because the fin is a tad small but I can live with it, I will paint it tonight and fly it more tomorrow.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I "FIXED" my large 3D printer by hacking it with Repetier firmware rather than the stock proprietary firmware that required proprietary (JUNK) filament cartridges, and had crippled settings.

Now have FULL control of temps, and can use any filament without having to hack the chip in the cartridges any more.

WHY OH WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?

At any rate, now I can print more RC/Flying Goodness and upgrade other "junk" components that couldn't be upgraded with the stock firmware.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Wildthing

Legendary member
I "FIXED" my large 3D printer by hacking it with Repetier firmware rather than the stock proprietary firmware that required proprietary (JUNK) filament cartridges, and had crippled settings.

Now have FULL control of temps, and can use any filament without having to hack the chip in the cartridges any more.

WHY OH WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?

At any rate, now I can print more RC/Flying Goodness and upgrade other "junk" components that couldn't be upgraded with the stock firmware.

Cheers!
LitterBug

What firmware was in there?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
XYZprinting had their crippled firmware in there which forced it to use proprietary "chiped" filament cartridges. The chips could be hacked to reset the counter, but the temperature was locked down on the printer firmware restricting material choices. Support was pathetic.

Replacement firmware and instructions https://github.com/luc-github/Repetier-Firmware-4-Davinci

Never heard or seen of this type of printer before