FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

OliverW

Legendary member
gonna be a hell of a friday, 3 Deamon's to fly. 82 mph up to 120 mph hopefully between the group. :cool:

View attachment 163221

can't wait! i have flown the middle weight before, the other 2 will be maindens. :love:

laters,

me :cool:

p.s. - Josh from JH Aerospace (@FAI-F1D ) has been awesome. i completely screwed up my first wing and control horns on the micro and he sent a complete new wing and horns no issues. thank you soooooo much! (y)

laters,

Also, how do you calculate how fast your plane is going to go?

OliverW

Legendary member
New plane done 🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• 20200325_222046.jpg
    20200325_222046.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

bracesport

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - this is a very nice build - I have been waiting to see some of your 'very' custom ideas in play and this is it! I can see heaps of your innovations with construction and reinforcement in this one - brilliant!

High Salute Sir! :D

Its getting down to the nitty gritty around here hobby wise, finishing up some projects. Anything worth doing is worth over doing at this point. So this is what I was up to today...

Stay healthy and stay safe

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Have you seen the new demon prototype? It has a 9.5" wingspan 😈😈

no i haven't. thanks for the heads up.

Also, how do you calculate how fast your plane is going to go?

i plug the numbers into ecalc. it's usually pretty accurate. i need to get a speed gun but haven't. i have ridden, driven, and flown many fast things at this point in my life and i feel i'm a pretty good judge.

ecalc calculated my foam deamon to hit 99mph in level flight. I can tell you today from it's maiden, it did not make that number. I have no proof but based upon the 82mph predicted for the mini, which i believe, this was not much faster. made an awesome noise, but not really faster.

i was hoping to maiden the micro today but it continues to fight me. at this point i need to just chill and take a breathe. it is telling me it's not ready to fly. if i force the issue, bad things are destine to happen.

time to charge batteries for tomorrow.

be safe guys.

laters,

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Just finished my latest build, the Aeronaut. A 2m sailplane designed by me. This is my second sailplane design and weighs in at 491g, almost 100g less than my last one. It is 4ch running off a 1300mah 3s. I made plans for it if anyone's interested, it would be nice to have a beta builder or two since I haven't tested them.

293452_05fab273da506228d4eef8896d4b8810.jpg

293454_6b6733b09525a6cdfd5f7903e84923a8.jpg

Honestly I think it's too pretty to fly but I guess I'll have to eventually.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Just finished my latest build, the Aeronaut. A 2m sailplane designed by me. This is my second sailplane design and weighs in at 491g, almost 100g less than my last one. It is 4ch running off a 1300mah 3s. I made plans for it if anyone's interested, it would be nice to have a beta builder or two since I haven't tested them.

293452_05fab273da506228d4eef8896d4b8810.jpg

293454_6b6733b09525a6cdfd5f7903e84923a8.jpg

Honestly I think it's too pretty to fly but I guess I'll have to eventually.

beta builder ? :unsure:

let me know. i have currently nothing but time and lot's of foam.

how are you launching it?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i am going stir crazy and for some reason have had a hard time working on the planes. seems i want to do something different.

so...when a mom said her kid wanted to build a farris wheel and needed help, i was more than happy to help. :cool:

he had plans out of a book they had bought at the book fair. it looked pretty cool and i was all in. plans used bbq skewers, popsicle sticks, plastic straws, and a 9v battery w a brushed motor. pretty sure this was made for me! :ROFLMAO:

I let him do 95% of the build himself and he was TICKLED PINK with the outcome. :)

IMG_7064.jpg

IMG_7065.jpg

it works, but spins a little fast and obviously has a few issues.

as soon as they left, i jumped on the computer and started work @Tinkercad.com

first job was to solve the error in bbq skewer alignment on the center hub. a few minutes later i had this...

20200402_160727.jpg

next issue was the hub for the outer span of the octagon wheel. a little geometry later we knew our angles needs and made this...

20200331_194055.jpg

we then plugged that into Simply3D and loaded into the printer. now we have these...

20200402_160214.jpg

these were printed @ med grade and 25% infill. plan is to print the rest of the parts, do a mock build up, make adjustments if needed, and reprint at more infill if needed. i think we will be fine... ;)

keep building,

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
beta builder ? :unsure:

let me know. i have currently nothing but time and lot's of foam.

how are you launching it?

I built mine for sloping, I just throw it over the cliff by hand. There's a bit of extra room in the fuse even with the big 6ch Rx I'm using, if you were clever you could fit one of the FT glider tows in it and bungee launch it, just beef up the spar a bit.