FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
my oldest and most trusted plane tried to take my finger today! :eek:

one of the first planes i bought when i started this madness was my 2M radian. it has always been rock solid. even got lost for over a month in a cotton field and still flew perfect afterward.

today i went to spin it up on launch and it threw a blade, this caused the motor to go out of balance and rip the entire nose off the pane and whack my finger in process. it did not cut it but hit it hard enough i could not feel the tip for almost 30 mins.

i was able to find all the parts and have glued back together but mostly glad i have my fingers.

pre flight is important, and we should all make sure we look at stuff, but sometime things just fail catastrophically and not much can be done. watch those fingers.

laters,

me :cool:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
my oldest and most trusted plane tried to take my finger today! :eek:

one of the first planes i bought when i started this madness was my 2M radian. it has always been rock solid. even got lost for over a month in a cotton field and still flew perfect afterward.

today i went to spin it up on launch and it threw a blade, this caused the motor to go out of balance and rip the entire nose off the pane and whack my finger in process. it did not cut it but hit it hard enough i could not feel the tip for almost 30 mins.

i was able to find all the parts and have glued back together but mostly glad i have my fingers.

pre flight is important, and we should all make sure we look at stuff, but sometime things just fail catastrophically and not much can be done. watch those fingers.

laters,

me :cool:
I hope you didn't try to glue the prop back together... :p

JennyC6

Elite member
Gonna recap the whole month so far, heh.

First multi-cylinder engine in my collection! Gonna get it running real nice and put it in a SIG 4*64 ARF. Be my biggest flyable plane and my only 60-size plane. Definitely gonna FPV 'er; that gorgeous twin burble and the buttery smooth operation almost beg for it.

Airframe, receiver, servos in the mail now. I'm fast-tracking this one. It will fly over Edgewater in August come hell or high water.

Also needs a tuneup. Since that video was recorded I have set the valves(3/4 were way off in the rhubarb and the 4th was borderline!) and ordered two new OS F's for it alongside the 14-6 prop it will swing in flight. Currently has a 12-8-3 on it. Good enough for a bench run but I'm afraid it might overrev with this prop so next time I flash this bad boy off'll be with the 14-6 on it.

This is only the second glow engine I ever bought, and it was originally purchased in 2008 or 2009. I rebuilt it recently and here it is runnin' hard, loose and clean!

Another project of mine. Engine dates back to 1940, has the world's most adorable spark plug, has contact points. Gonna put a carb on it, get it running on Ignition, feed it FAI fuel, and fly it RC. Loud boi. But not the loudest boi in my collection...

...that honor goes to this tiny little bugger. Only 0.049CID/0.8CC, yet so loud it's painful to bench run it without earpro. The glow head and carb are both cox; the former is in an adapter ring the latter is epoxied on. Swings a 6-4 prop with authority. Gonna put it in a 1/2a Kaos kit I have coming. Hopefully I will be able to fly it over Edgewater's front lawn this August!

Tronglodon

Two quick vids from today's flying, first my son getting practice on the Bixler with the buddy box.
Second the ZOHD Dart 250 flying a bit lower and faster than I have before.
Also this happened to our FT Spitfire:
IMG_20200525_102746.jpg

IMG_20200525_102730.jpg

It flew and landed like that! I think some hot glue globulation is in order.

JennyC6

Elite member
It is an opposing twin cylinder four stroke.
Most Saito twins are oddfire though, won't sound anything like this one nor run anywhere near as smoothly. Shared crankpin on most.

The smooth running of this model is why I sought it out though. I wanted that inherent balance and the much more even sound. If there was ever an engine to FPV a plane on this'd be it. You wouldn't get jello. And I likely will FPV this plane too!
Is that a 4 stroke? It sounds like a full scale engine, very throaty.
Yup. Even-fire 4-cycle boxer. It runs smooth as any electric too long as both cylinders are firing. Some of my engines shake so bad they make my phone rattle in its mount across the workbench through that huge block of hardwood and vise but this thing doesn't even make the throttle rattle open or closed!

It would be absolutely amazing in a 70" span FT Commuter but I'm gonna be putting it on a SIG 4*64 instead.