FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

bwarz

Master member
I maidened the UMX Mosquito and UMX Habu today! The Mosquito I flew in our backyard and honestly it needed more room, but it did fly nice. The Habu I took to my field at about sunset and man, that thing is EPIC!! I ran three packs through it, and by the end it was barely visible. 😁 I also flew the spacewalker and PT-17 in our backyard.
View attachment 171465 View attachment 171466
I pretty much learned to fly on my PT17. Love flying it, not loving what it's looking like these days :ROFLMAO: Ordered a new wing set and decals from my LHS - just waiting to be picked up!

JennyC6

Elite member
IMG_20200610_213231.jpg

Simple Scout GP has a fuel system now! Tank is pretty much ideally positioned; centerline is in line with the spraybar on the horizontal axis and the CG of the fuel tank is also right on the CG of the aircraft. I had to basically totally remove that portion of the main spar, so the fuel tank is also part of the structure of the aircraft. Doubt itt'l be a problem on such a light plane....even if it will be a bit overweight. Used a square DuBro 4oz for it; should give me plenty of time aloft. Certainly much better than the 4-7 minutes they say you get on a 1300mAh lipo.

Fun fact: that FS-26 is 3/5ths of the total AUW recommended for the Simple Scout. I'm probably gonna be about 250-300 grams overweight.

I also have access to Maker Foam now. Roomie wanted to build a Simple Scout as well and my LHS only had the Maker Foam variant in stock. I'll be taking some of the scraps from that build to do some testing with regard to fuel and exhaust residue resistance, mostly so I can guage the feasibility of further nitro conversions once everything's moved to the makerfoam. Should probably also grab the MS P-47 while it's still in the brown stuff...LHS has one of those in stock too. And the MS Spit in brown foamboard.
It would make a good trainer - it flies so slow and stable! The UMX bipes are really awesome - they fly so well.
I have pondered the UMX Stearman a time or three, but two major issues keep me from buying one.

1: I fly Futaba, but the UMX ultra-micros have a DSMx AIO board that marries ESC, Receiver, elevator servo, rudder servo to one PCB with proprietary servo connectors running to the ailerons. It's a right pain in the -beep- to fly one off another protocol and I'm not about to buy a Spektrum radio for one plane.

2: 80 gram planes and wind do not get along very well. I'd basically be able to fly it only in gyms most of the yaer; Tennessee isn't known for wind but it's rarely still enough for such a light plane. I regularly fly in 5-10mph winds; my balsa birds don't seem to care about this but ultra-micro foamies will object heavily.

Last edited:

"Corpse"

Legendary member
IMG_20200610_213231.jpg

Simple Scout GP has a fuel system now! Tank is pretty much ideally positioned; centerline is in line with the spraybar on the horizontal axis and the CG of the fuel tank is also right on the CG of the aircraft. I had to basically totally remove that portion of the main spar, so the fuel tank is also part of the structure of the aircraft. Doubt itt'l be a problem on such a light plane....even if it will be a bit overweight. Used a square DuBro 4oz for it; should give me plenty of time aloft. Certainly much better than the 4-7 minutes they say you get on a 1300mAh lipo.

Fun fact: that FS-26 is 3/5ths of the total AUW recommended for the Simple Scout. I'm probably gonna be about 250-300 grams overweight.

I also have access to Maker Foam now. Roomie wanted to build a Simple Scout as well and my LHS only had the Maker Foam variant in stock. I'll be taking some of the scraps from that build to do some testing with regard to fuel and exhaust residue resistance, mostly so I can guage the feasibility of further nitro conversions once everything's moved to the makerfoam. Should probably also grab the MS P-47 while it's still in the brown stuff...LHS has one of those in stock too. And the MS Spit in brown foamboard.

I have pondered the UMX Stearman a time or three, but two major issues keep me from buying one.

1: I fly Futaba, but the UMX ultra-micros have a DSMx AIO board that marries ESC, Receiver, elevator servo, rudder servo to one PCB with proprietary servo connectors running to the ailerons. It's a right pain in the -beep- to fly one off another protocol and I'm not about to buy a Spektrum radio for one plane.

2: 80 gram planes and wind do not get along very well. I'd basically be able to fly it only in gyms most of the yaer; Tennessee isn't known for wind but it's rarely still enough for such a light plane. I regularly fly in 5-10mph winds; my balsa birds don't seem to care about this but ultra-micro foamies will object heavily.
I wonder if you could lengthen the wings and the tail to decrease the wing loading. Maybe you should try it if it doesn't do well. I want to see that thing fly!

chronix

Had to re solder my tail motor and replace some linkages. Had to swap the connectors on the tail motor twice to get it to spin right! Sorry I don't have a completed pic but it looks like my friggin profile pic😜

(pic descriptions above picture I'm weird)

I don't like the way this tail boom replacement goes, you have almost zero spare room to feed wires
IMG_20200610_224822.jpg

This is after solder and heatshrink. I shan't dare share pics of the solder job. Suffice it to say a new motor is on the way. But it works i have proof but it's ugly proof lol
IMG_20200610_224756.jpg

Motor installed in the housing
IMG_20200610_225445.jpg

Knick I had to cover up
IMG_20200610_214826.jpg

The main gear has a few damaged teeth but I'm leaving it I have a replacement for when it gets worse.