FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sorry, I was under the impression that you edited your post to make it clean for the forums. In that case, good job!
Well, at first I did, because at first I did a reply with some swear words in it. There must have been a setting or algorithm on the comments section that deleted posts with swears because it wouldn't stick. I tried a post without the swearing, at that time figuring it would be the better approach anyway and it didn't automatically get deleted a few seconds after posting. In the end, it worked out for the best. I'm really not that angry anymore over it anyway, I just find it sort of sad and a little shocking that a person who's in some ways pretty smart, can be that stupid and derail a perfectly good discussion with petty insults for no reason.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Well, at first I did, because at first I did a reply with some swear words in it. There must have been a setting or algorithm on the comments section that deleted posts with swears because it wouldn't stick. I tried a post without the swearing, at that time figuring it would be the better approach anyway and it didn't automatically get deleted a few seconds after posting. In the end, it worked out for the best. I'm really not that angry anymore over it anyway, I just find it sort of sad and a little shocking that a person who's in some ways pretty smart, can be that stupid and derail a perfectly good discussion with petty insults for no reason.
Good that your not angry anymore!;);)

I just finished some tuning for the quad! Today I'm going out and practicing my racing!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Machined the little adapter to mount an OS 1A carb on the valiant engine. It actually has a functional airbleed unlike the dumb Soviet carb on it originally and it'll transition without dying now (which is an improvement!) It also has a much less wonky HSN, the other one having no clicker on it and often moving around in flight. I may still drill out the airbleed just a little because it still stumbles over itself just a tiny bit when transitioning.

P_20200804_155747.jpg

The new carb also gave it just a few more top end RPMS :ROFLMAO: With the old carb it topped out at 17,400. I didn't change the prop. I have no idea how in the hell it goes this fast.

P_20200804_160241.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Adding distance below the carb allows for slightly more cooling of the fuel as well as a longer distance to break into smaller more efficient combustible materials with a better air mixture. Basically in gear head terms you made the equivalent of a high rise manifold for the carb without the rise.

Get one of them venturi adapters (they look like mini EDF intakes) for the carb and that will boost performance even more. Just be careful you dont get into the machine limits for balance of the rod and piston.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Flying in CL combat these engines usually get to about that fast. Though it's with a smaller prop. Maybe I discovered a performance hack...

Another thing, is the HSN on this engine is incredibly sensitive. Like four clicks is all the difference between four stroking and it starting to die from being too lean. Both carbs did it. It's behavior I would expect if I was doing something like running it on FAI, but I was using 15%. Weird...

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Some motors need to be regulated using back pressure created at the exhaust for reliability, or emissions, or a number of reasons. Maybe the engineers decided to regulate it by starving it with air. When you made the change you fed it better and its REALLY happy. Same things happen when adding a turbo kit or blower to any internal combustion engine. More air = more power.

I would assume since this is not a high performance overly machined motor they did it to stay within mechanical limitations for longevity of the motor itself.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I've got another idea... I believe when I bought the motor the guy told me that the muffler was a semi-tuned type, but tuned pipes only become effective above a certain rpm, which maybe I was able to achieve using this new carburetor setup. Either way, I paid next to nothing for it, and don't have any particular emotional attachment to it (It's very much a one trick pony, it screams at maximum throttle but won't really do anything else happily) so if something flies out the side I won't be too sad about it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Throwing rods can be very impressive and dramatic. Motor sports are not so attractive without that happening on occasion hehe

Maybe make a butane injector system to act as nitrous and help it along if you ever get bored with it hehe.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Is it just me or are the stall characteristics of airplanes in Realflight incredibly unrealistic? I test flew a Top Flite 60 size Corsair for a friend today and when I tested the stall it would almost instantly just drop like a rock or dip a wing whenever I cut the power and slowed it down. Tried the same thing in Realflight just because why not and even when I cut the power and yanked the stick all the way back it still wouldn't stall, only mushed and lost altitude. Even ballasted the plane out to 25lbs in the simulator, still wouldn't actually stall. His plane was I believe 11 lb and it would stall sharply and spin easily. Not sure what to make of that...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Is it just me or are the stall characteristics of airplanes in Realflight incredibly unrealistic? I test flew a Top Flite 60 size Corsair for a friend today and when I tested the stall it would almost instantly just drop like a rock or dip a wing whenever I cut the power and slowed it down. Tried the same thing in Realflight just because why not and even when I cut the power and yanked the stick all the way back it still wouldn't stall, only mushed and lost altitude. Even ballasted the plane out to 25lbs in the simulator, still wouldn't actually stall. His plane was I believe 11 lb and it would stall sharply and spin easily. Not sure what to make of that...

ya i trust the physics of the flight sims about as much as i do most politicians. the sims for me are just muscle memory training, the actual flight physics are learned at the field.

just my $.02,

me :cool:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Most of the sims gimp flight parameters to make things more "friendly" then realistic. Other wise people would say the sim sucks because they lack skill just like in real flying. As was stated they are meant to get you used to the sticks and build some memory and reaction time.

Most sims let you change parameters of the aircraft some are limited others are in depth. some even let you really get into it and change weather patterns to further skill building. I played around with Reflex XTR a lot and there is some amazing things that sim can do. I found most of the planes that are in there had wonky characteristics same as the heli's.

I learned a lot about cg and balance on more then just cg. Thrust lines make a huge difference and tends to be the biggest issue on sims I have found. Makes you able to fly great at one throttle level and everything else gets crazy until you get that all dialed in.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
upgrade... :devilish:

20200907_190526.jpg

not gonna mess around this time. using a Emax 2205-2300kv w 5x7.5 prop, Formula 45 Opto-ESC, 5v-3A Micro BEC, and 4S-???

and, i will be able to ditch the 7G dead weight on the front. ;)

i was getting 82 mph on the 1806-2750kv w 5x5 prop, 12A esc, and 3S-400mah. this should push us well past the 100mph mark.

go fast. (y)

OliverW

Legendary member
upgrade... :devilish:

View attachment 178650

not gonna mess around this time. using a Emax 2205-2300kv w 5x7.5 prop, Formula 45 Opto-ESC, 5v-3A Micro BEC, and 4S-???

and, i will be able to ditch the 7G dead weight on the front. ;)

i was getting 82 mph on the 1806-2750kv w 5x5 prop, 12A esc, and 3S-400mah. this should push us well past the 100mph mark.

go fast. (y)

I wanna see video of that mustard colored missile