FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
only flew 2x today. one with the new crak yak and the other the fpv arrow. the rest of the day i helped others fly fpv by spotting or spent my time at our new 1/24th scale crawler course. it's still in development but getting pretty fun.

after all that i took my 1/12 scale barrage out that i had recently modified and came to the conclusion it was way too tall and way to top heavy. i did some searching for axel mods and stuff like that but came up empty. i decided to pul the wheel off and see what i could do. big limiting factor is the axel length, cant really get much more without replacing it. i did not want to go that far or spend the money so i kept thinking. i then realized if i just flipped the tires i would gain almost 2" in total width.

20201227_185642.jpg

now i just needed to design a new hub. got the calipers out, did some sketching, then went to tinkercad and made this...

20201227_185520.jpg

the large disc at bottom will mate up against inside of the wheel and will be drilled out for the 5 hub bolts. should work like a charm, cross fingers. we will know in 30 mins. god i love my 3D printer. :devilish:

laters,

me :cool:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey I tried. You can always change the jug for newer and "upgrade" long as stroke matches a jug and piston swap isn't a hard task. Maybe even come up with a stroker version like on small block motors (283 ci turns into a 327 really easy) and make it more torque at less rpm but stay cooler longer.

JennyC6

Elite member
Hey I tried. You can always change the jug for newer and "upgrade" long as stroke matches a jug and piston swap isn't a hard task. Maybe even come up with a stroker version like on small block motors (283 ci turns into a 327 really easy) and make it more torque at less rpm but stay cooler longer.
Possibly! If the OD of that liner was the same as the ID of the case I might just buy it and put it in anyway. After all I'm not running it on a plane that truly needs the power the -P generated over standard(1500g total weight).

I have mulled over that sort of stuff with Saitos. Pretty much how Saito derives so many engines anyway; they only have a few cases and get 3-4 different displacements out of that case by varying bore and stroke just like GM, Ford, Chrysler all did with their smallblocks.

And seriously. I do appreciate you guys trying to find me a sleeve. <3 I don't mean to come off dismissive or anything

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
All good.. just tryin ta flex my inner gear head since I cant work on real cars anymore hehe.

Stay tuned Next week modding a hair dryer into a blower for your chain saw motors!!!

JennyC6

Elite member
All good.. just tryin ta flex my inner gear head since I cant work on real cars anymore hehe.
Heh heh. I will try to clean that cylinder up a bit. Got an old brake cylinder hone that'll fit in there, wrap the stones in emery cloth and just sorta ever-so-gingerly hand turn it in there, see what comes off. Gotta be super careful because even one thou off on an engine this small makes a huge difference, but we will see how it cleans up.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Good luck with that mate. Be interesting to see how that handles the torque. I have never had any luck with the nylon / plastic hubs even on the OG black foot back in the 80's

we will see. so far it looks good. the fit is perfect and tight.

20201229_173100.jpg

the rim is held on with the nut and 5 mounting screws.

20201229_173116.jpg

i really did not extend anything so i hope that it will at least be "stock" strength. it definitely made the stance a lot better.

20201229_173140.jpg

gonna take it out tomorrow and see what happens. also built a new wooden bridge for the 24th scale course. other than being cold, should be a good morning.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
we will see. so far it looks good. the fit is perfect and tight.

View attachment 187418

the rim is held on with the nut and 5 mounting screws.

View attachment 187419

i really did not extend anything so i hope that it will at least be "stock" strength. it definitely made the stance a lot better.

View attachment 187420

gonna take it out tomorrow and see what happens. also built a new wooden bridge for the 24th scale course. other than being cold, should be a good morning.

What 3d printer do you have?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well the hub extenders seem to be working. put 2 batteries through them today still in 1 piece. it was cold so performance wasn't at it's best but i'm happy so far. still can't seem to climb this bloody dirt hill we have and i am getting a little sick of it. thought the new tires would take care of that but no go. still just digging holes. guess it's time for a motor upgrade so i ordered a monster today that will work with stock tranny and esc. need to design a new cover for trans but hoping my google-fu will find one first.

in the mean time i decided to add some lights. designed and printed a 4 LED light bar for front bumper. FPV is gonna be fun tonight and it's just getting dark. :devilish:

20201230_174519.jpg

out driving,

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
well the hub extenders seem to be working. put 2 batteries through them today still in 1 piece. it was cold so performance wasn't at it's best but i'm happy so far. still can't seem to climb this bloody dirt hill we have and i am getting a little sick of it. thought the new tires would take care of that but no go. still just digging holes. guess it's time for a motor upgrade so i ordered a monster today that will work with stock tranny and esc. need to design a new cover for trans but hoping my google-fu will find one first.

in the mean time i decided to add some lights. designed and printed a 4 LED light bar for front bumper. FPV is gonna be fun tonight and it's just getting dark. :devilish:

View attachment 187526

out driving,

How are the wheels attached to the chassis? Is there a ball bearing or does it just sit directly on the axle?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
How are the wheels attached to the chassis? Is there a ball bearing or does it just sit directly on the axle?

there is a bearing on each axel and a pin that passes through axel to make wheel locked to it.

lights were a disaster. WAY too much glare and bad angle. it was blinding. i covered the light bar with black tape and that helped a lot but still not what i was wanting. just did a re-design and gave each LED some down angle and some spread. we will try again in 30 mins.

laters,

JennyC6

Elite member
there is a bearing on each axel and a pin that passes through axel to make wheel locked to it.

lights were a disaster. WAY too much glare and bad angle. it was blinding. i covered the light bar with black tape and that helped a lot but still not what i was wanting. just did a re-design and gave each LED some down angle and some spread. we will try again in 30 mins.

laters,

I'm diggin' the roll hoop you made for the antenna! I always try to keep my surface FPV gear below something like the bodyshell or roll cage or whatnot to protect it as well, but I'm usually using what the car already has.

Worked out killer in my Scorp XXL; replace helmet detail with camera put VTx just behind everything sits under the sturdy cage the car already had.

I need to figure out some mounts like yours for some of my other cars. I want to FPV my Mad Crusher GP. That would be an amazingly fun setup but there's just nowhere on the truck to mount a camera right now.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i will send you the .stl file and you can modify as needed if you want.

spent last night and today putting the new servo upgrade into the sxc24. last night i just kinda "winged it" and put it in. it was amazing the diff. today i pulled it all back apart and did it right. 3D printed some correct spacers, used the correct control horn, and it is even better. it is laughing at things it used to struggle with and climbing things it never could. hopefully at some point i will get my aluminum steering linkage to make it even better.

you can use stock servo tray but it is tight and needs some mods along with some spacers.

20201231_140530.jpg

this is the EMAX ES08MA II servo.

part of the mod requires that you "steal" the rear hinge screws for the body for the new servo mounts screw. the old ones are too short for new servo, and old servo mounts are too short for body hinge. to solve problem, which actually makes life easier, find a some old control line wire and just bend and cut. it's not gonna fall out but is also much easier to pull if you want to remove the body.

20201231_145617.jpg

tomorrow i am having another sxc24 owner over and we are going to have our first crawl. i have a huge river rock drainage in my front yard and it is perfect for these guys. gonna be fun.

laters,

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member
i will send you the .stl file and you can modify as needed if you want.
Whoo~. All the more reason to get my printer running consistently. Will have to tweak it a bit...mmnn, I'm using it on nitro cars too so itt'l be interesting to see how I can adjust it for vibration damping. Rob parts from dead CD players for isomounts maybe. Hmm.