FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

JennyC6

Elite member
Man that think looks like it could tear it up. Well it is tearing it up, but you know what I mean!
IT does. I absolutely love the thing. Got some Proline Badlands on the rear instead of kit-supplied and a Kyosho KE-25 drinking down Sidewinder 20% car fuel like it's goin' out of style. Just the perfect amount of power, grip. Handles like an absolute dream really.

Car can be built electric too, if you find an untouched kit. Parts in box for both. I highly suggest you get one at some point!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Did some RC stuff. Donuts are fun! Had to put my front yard back in my front yard after I was done lol

Nothin better sounding then a land based nitro motor with a tuned pipe. I REALLY need to get mine back to drivable. That thing would squat n run in a gravel parking lot like a drift car in a pit after I put the wider aluminum control arms on it and did the sway bars some justice. I have an OFNA Racing 3.2 in it with a 3 speed tranny and its insane how fast that thing gets. I barely have time to get into third before I lose sight of it and it aint small at 1/8th scale.

these are the tires I run. The green rims are stock nitro rc junk but good for short grass. The road tires are Venom racing and they are made from the same compound as the firestone firehawks I believe. GREAT traction on the road or paved lots. then the monster ones I forget who made those but that's what is usually on it for all terrain running when I have no clue where I will be at for the day.
tires.JPG

JennyC6

Elite member
Nothin better sounding then a land based nitro motor with a tuned pipe. I REALLY need to get mine back to drivable. That thing would squat n run in a gravel parking lot like a drift car in a pit after I put the wider aluminum control arms on it and did the sway bars some justice. I have an OFNA Racing 3.2 in it with a 3 speed tranny and its insane how fast that thing gets. I barely have time to get into third before I lose sight of it and it aint small at 1/8th scale.

these are the tires I run. The green rims are stock nitro rc junk but good for short grass. The road tires are Venom racing and they are made from the same compound as the firestone firehawks I believe. GREAT traction on the road or paved lots. then the monster ones I forget who made those but that's what is usually on it for all terrain running when I have no clue where I will be at for the day.
View attachment 188162
heh, should get some video of that bad boy up here. And they really do sound lovely...like little F1 cars. Idle's a bit high on my Scorp but eh, clutch still disengages.

Beat that thing to within an inch of its life for a good 45 minutes or so. Put a full 500cc pit bottle through it. Gotta love Kyosho reliability too; it drove back and died at my feet due to fuel starvation when I was done! No real fuss to start it up either, just a few pulls and the KE-25 was roarin' to go.

Just wish I could find my FPV goggle charger. The car has a full 5.8ghz system in it and I wanted to drive from in the cage but no batt in the gogs = no FPV fun.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@JennyC6 Oh I went whole hog on mine. I put the gear drive in it so I wasnt out there yanking a tiny rope to start the darn thing in cold weather. I have a motorized starter and bar set up like starting a nitro heli.

I bought it as an all up kit from Nitro RC. Broke the motor in properly and it STILL ate a wrist pin. Found out those economy grade ASP motors had a really bad habit of doing that no matter how ya treat em. Got the OFNA (and its a 2.8 not 3.2. the 3.2 is the bhp rating). Then after running it between snow storms out on the street I did a nice run went to turn around and managed to get into the wet grass where it proceeded to lose signal after it went behind the maintenance guys metal shed at the edge of the parking lot and all that was heard was PANG!!! It broke the screws holding the steering knuckle and shattered the upper adjusters on the front end. It hit that shed hard enough to shear off the corner stud and push the lower corner of the shed in a good foot or more in a nice triangle shape.

I decided to go with the aluminum upgrade but they didnt have a truggy set and the monster truck ones happened to for sale and less then replacing one side with the stock nylon / plastic upper and lowers. So the Franken Truck has evolved. Then I found quads after wearing out the nylon bushings and managing to crack two. I got a set of stainless replacements but man removing the nylon ones , filing the holes to insert the steel ones by hand really sucked. I got one side done and its been sitting since I started flying.

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

JennyC6

Elite member
@JennyC6 Oh I went whole hog on mine. I put the gear drive in it so I wasnt out there yanking a tiny rope to start the darn thing in cold weather. I have a motorized starter and bar set up like starting a nitro heli.
Heh. I just use the pull starter as extra incentive to keep my engines in tip top condition. They don't fuss at me if they're happy, and if they're unhappy, they fuss like there's no tomorrow.

If it won't start up in just a handful of pulls I suss out why.

I bought it as an all up kit from Nitro RC. Broke the motor in properly and it STILL ate a wrist pin. Found out those economy grade ASP motors had a really bad habit of doing that no matter how ya treat em. Got the OFNA (and its a 2.8 not 3.2. the 3.2 is the bhp rating). Then after running it between snow storms out on the street I did a nice run went to turn around and managed to get into the wet grass where it proceeded to lose signal after it went behind the maintenance guys metal shed at the edge of the parking lot and all that was heard was PANG!!! It broke the screws holding the steering knuckle and shattered the upper adjusters on the front end. It hit that shed hard enough to shear off the corner stud and push the lower corner of the shed in a good foot or more in a nice triangle shape.

I decided to go with the aluminum upgrade but they didnt have a truggy set and the monster truck ones happened to for sale and less then replacing one side with the stock nylon / plastic upper and lowers. So the Franken Truck has evolved. Then I found quads after wearing out the nylon bushings and managing to crack two. I got a set of stainless replacements but man removing the nylon ones , filing the holes to insert the steel ones by hand really sucked. I got one side done and its been sitting since I started flying.
Heh. Be awesome if you had that running and could make it to FPVFest 2021. The golfers are gonna HATE ME after that event 'cause the badlands on my Scorpion are going to make an absolute mess of the putting greens. That car goes everywhere sideways and it is just too damn much fun to drift it around all the time not to! I bet with the right tires you could be there tandem drifting right there with me! Almost wonder if those street tires would do...grippy enough to control slippy enough to get some good powerslides going.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sadly there is no nitro allowed at Flite Fests... air, land, or sea... Other wise it would have gone with me and I would have had more incentive to get it back into running condition to be able to rip with Alex and Austin when they were doing the Drive On thing.

JennyC6

Elite member
Sadly there is no nitro allowed at Flite Fests... air, land, or sea... Other wise it would have gone with me and I would have had more incentive to get it back into running condition to be able to rip with Alex and Austin when they were doing the Drive On thing.
FPVFest isn't Flite Fest. IT's a gig RMRC puts on at Edgewater the month after Flite Fest and nitro is allowed there. I went in 2019 and had an absolute blast; even remaidened a very old balsa trainer powered by an OS 40FP that I unsiezed in the saturday gaggle. Made the RMRC guys eyes open up a bit when I started it too; glow driver on, just a wee kiss of the electric finger, and off it went purrling like a sewing machine. Hella fun. And now I've got some FPV stuff running and ready, surface and air alike!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Man.. thats twice this week I got got by my old mind seeing what it is used to not actually what was written... Did not catch the FPV part.. my mind saw Fest and immediately reverted to Flite Fest. Time to up the font size I guess. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JennyC6

Elite member
I'd be much more impressed if it started first flip of a human finger (or chicken stick). Had a couple 049's do that but invariably backwards
It probably would have but I didn't want to take any chances with an engine I had revived just a few weeks prior from being totally locked up. It kicked pretty much the instant it rolled past TDC.

If the dates on my YT channel are anything to go by, unsiezed on Jul 9, running Jul 10, first flight in my ownership over Edgewater on Aug 3.

I do have engines that will one-flip from time to time. My H-40P when it's in a good mood?

My FS-70 Surpass does it every. single. Time. Prime it heavy, roll it past TDC to near BDC, attach glow, whap prop backwards, and off it goes. Which is good because my starter can't turn this beast over at all!

Bricks

Master member
A little FYI when running 4 strokes double lock nut the prop, if they get to running a little lean can backfire and throw the prop, learned the hard way.

JennyC6

Elite member
A little FYI when running 4 strokes double lock nut the prop, if they get to running a little lean can backfire and throw the prop, learned the hard way.
I've had them spit the prop when double nutted. They're real bad about doing it when they're being run up with the glow driver attached; ignition timing advances way too far and they kick backwards when the throttle opens up.

Piotrsko

Master member
As I learned in my Ranger EV conversion: you can't beat brushed DC for instant cheap massive start torque. In 4low 2nd gear, I suprised many a Tesla off the line. Like a bug, that only lasts until the other side of the intersection or 5,000 rpm motor redline whichever is first. My motor tends to explode above that, his motors shouldn't.