FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Wildthing

Legendary member
As I learned in my Ranger EV conversion: you can't beat brushed DC for instant cheap massive start torque. In 4low 2nd gear, I suprised many a Tesla off the line. Like a bug, that only lasts until the other side of the intersection or 5,000 rpm motor redline whichever is first. My motor tends to explode above that, his motors shouldn't.
Well I upgraded my Slash to brushless, torque is simply amazing from start to even at 30mph or higher, I had to install wheelie bars just to help keep the nose down . In 3 years or more I have never had to service the motor, can't say the same for the brushed ones. I have about 6 different brushed motors that will never be going back in .

Bricks

Master member
MMMmmm what did I do RC today, happen to see a moving sale in market place had some RC planes and other stuff. Close by so what the hey, took a short drive and came back with these. I needed these like a need another hole in my head I offered him $100 I about fell over he excepted it for 6 planes and a bunch of miscellanies stuff
P1000474.JPG
P1000471.JPG
P1000474.JPG
P1000476.JPG
P1000479.JPG
P1000480-001.JPG

JennyC6

Elite member
ooohhh that Kadet is worth more than you paid for the whole lot. And I'm also diggin' the spacewalker and the navy blue bipe that's got a Saito poked out the cowl!

Half tempted to do a Kadet build myself, with a 4-cycle, specifically for training peeps or just buddyboxing in general. Kinda want to have something on hand at Edgewater I can let someone fly if they wanna try glow and a buddyboxed 4-cycle Kadet fits the bill nicely!

Bricks

Master member
They all had batteries in them even the 2 foamies a little TLC and change out receivers as they are 72mhz, might as well say they are all plug and play except the biplane. The throttle servo has not been set up yet it is there just not finished. If I had to guess besides the foamies I would about bet they were never flown and if so very very little. The Citabria does not have a scratch on it, kind of sad it has a glow a nice four stoke would be nice, I have a Saito to fit if I get ambitious and change it out.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
MMMmmm what did I do RC today, happen to see a moving sale in market place had some RC planes and other stuff. Close by so what the hey, took a short drive and came back with these. I needed these like a need another hole in my head I offered him $100 I about fell over he excepted it for 6 planes and a bunch of miscellanies stuff View attachment 189033 View attachment 189032 View attachment 189033 View attachment 189034 View attachment 189035 View attachment 189036
Dude send some my way hehe

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
MMMmmm what did I do RC today, happen to see a moving sale in market place had some RC planes and other stuff. Close by so what the hey, took a short drive and came back with these. I needed these like a need another hole in my head I offered him $100 I about fell over he excepted it for 6 planes and a bunch of miscellanies stuff View attachment 189033 View attachment 189032 View attachment 189033 View attachment 189034 View attachment 189035 View attachment 189036
Oh man, what a steal! That’s amazing - I paid more for that for just my hurricane... :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well I upgraded my Slash to brushless, torque is simply amazing from start to even at 30mph or higher, I had to install wheelie bars just to help keep the nose down . In 3 years or more I have never had to service the motor, can't say the same for the brushed ones. I have about 6 different brushed motors that will never be going back in .
I also upgraded my slash to brushless, and it made a huge difference. For crawlers brushed is better from what I can tell, it’s better for low end torque. You can get sensored brushless motors though which are pretty good, although I think they are used more in rock racers vs crawlers. I mean, who’s trying to go fast with a crawler anyways? :LOL:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I also upgraded my slash to brushless, and it made a huge difference. For crawlers brushed is better from what I can tell, it’s better for low end torque. You can get sensored brushless motors though which are pretty good, although I think they are used more in rock racers vs crawlers. I mean, who’s trying to go fast with a crawler anyways? :LOL:
me i would

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
4 of us from field grouped up and placed a big order from value hobby. luv the place, hate the shipping costs. with all 4 of us we got it down to an acceptable number. so, i ended up ordering the su-27, the p-40, and sbach kits.

started on the su-27 this morning. kit was cheap-ish but certainly not bad. had much worse from banggood. so far i am pretty happy with it. a friend already had bought the sbach kit and i was shocked by how good it was, so who knows...

20210115_181802.jpg

running a SunnySky 2306-1900kv w/ 6x4.5 prop, 45A ESC, and a 4S-something? should be good for 1,300+ g thrust. i still have to do some detail work, servo and control surface setup, so i'm not holding my breath for tomorrow but still happy.

laters,

me :cool:

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
4 of us from field grouped up and placed a big order from value hobby. luv the place, hate the shipping costs. with all 4 of us we got it down to an acceptable number. so, i ended up ordering the su-27, the p-40, and sbach kits.

started on the su-27 this morning. kit was cheap-ish but certainly not bad. had much worse from banggood. so far i am pretty happy with it. a friend already had bought the sbach kit and i was shocked by how good it was, so who knows...

View attachment 189345

running a SunnySky 2306-1900kv w/ 6x4.5 prop, 45A ESC, and a 4S-something? should be good for 1,300+ g thrust. i still have to do some detail work and servo and control surface setup so i'm not holding my breath for tomorrow but still happy.

laters,

Mind was ballistic with 1100g of thrust! I need to buy a new motor

Vimana89

Legendary member
Nothing much going on lately. Today I realized I need some new cameras, because mine seems to have been a lemon from the beginning and doesn't charge right. Can't get any good flight footage until I get new cameras, have been having bad luck and not much inspiration with builds: However, I've got some ideas brewing for the coming months to expand and grow and make the hobby interesting for me again.

My next project to warm up and shake the rust off will just be taking my Vulcan(which is still around and flying good), and make that rudder go live and convert it to 4ch. I've got a decent fleet at the moment, just flew my KFM tandem nubetube the other day and that went great. I think I'll start the new year just getting back into the groove of flying and learning new things, making the most out of the planes I have and assess what I really want going forward.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Mind was ballistic with 1100g of thrust! I need to buy a new motor

where did you set the CG? their number seems really far back. i was expecting it to be about 2" forward of what they say. as it is now, without a battery, it's almost perfect. doesn't bode well for what's gonna happen when i do put a battery in it. :LOL:

thanks,

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Got around to running this beast finally...

I take no responsibility for the stand. I didn't mount it. You can see it shaking around everywhere at idle (it sounds like it's knocking but that's just the clamp handle vibrating around everywhere!) Also always wear gloves during winter when your hands are going to be behind the engine as 100 mph wind chill when it's already 18 degrees will quickly make your hands unable to feel anything. The other guy in the video is who owns it. He's going to put it on a Top Flite 60 size Corsair...