FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Wildthing

Legendary member
And the fuse plus motor mount are coming together :)
2021_0209_124234_001.JPG
2021_0209_124903_002.JPG
2021_0209_224128_001.JPG
2021_0209_224136_002.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm really impressed as I read through your posts on this! I wish I could follow along and discuss, but everything I might contribute you've already thought of. :)
One question. Your rudder is printed, I can see that. Is your motor tower made of foam? No concerns about strength, vibration, wobble?
Ask all you want and I always welcome ideas. :) The motor mount is 3 layers of foam with a 4mm cf rod epoxied in it, the rod also passes through the whole fuse so hopefully it should be strong enough .

I am hoping it stays on the ground that is why I don't really have any horizontal surfaces that could add lift. Also the motor has a 3 degree down thrust , in my mind it is to help keep the nose down whether that is the case or not we will see. :D
Yeah wow. From these angles it seems like the whole thing is in a nose-down attitude, which can't hurt. If you can get the whole thing dialed in you'll win the race. (If it's a race, and I guess the "Snow Skimmer Challenge" is for speed.) Mine was designed around different parameters - it started with a sketch 40 years ago. :D I said hey I could put a fan on a hydro and run it in the snow...

Looks like your rear sponson is cut in a V shape. Liking that. (y)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yeah wow. From these angles it seems like the whole thing is in a nose-down attitude, which can't hurt. If you can get the whole thing dialed in you'll win the race. (If it's a race, and I guess the "Snow Skimmer Challenge" is for speed.) Mine was designed around different parameters - it started with a sketch 40 years ago. :D I said hey I could put a fan on a hydro and run it in the snow...

Looks like your rear sponson is cut in a V shape. Liking that. (y)
About a 1 degree nose down in the picture but depending on hard or soft snow the back may sit lower.
The rear sponson is shaped like a V hull , I used to have a Lizard that it came off of. It had front steering plus TV, it cruised good in snow or water. This new guy might do good in water also.

About a 1 degree nose down in the picture but depending on hard or soft snow the back may sit lower.
The rear sponson is shaped like a V hull , I used to have a Lizard that it came off of. It had front steering plus TV, it cruised good in snow or water. This new guy might do good in water also.
Ripped this off the Snow Skimmer Challenge. Killer!

JennyC6

Elite member
149112836_10221782134920582_5163642088344887340_o.png

I actually flew something! YAY! Underpowered, slightly tailheavy, covering coming off as it flew, but dad gummit I had something in the air!

Currently swapping the 40LA for a 46AX as I type this, repairing the covering. Ultimately I will be putting a Saito in it but that's for the future as Idon't have one on hand that will work.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Motor is mounted @Monte.C , slight wiggle sideways with the weight so added some struts to it. Also with the hatch cut open I added a vertical support just for the heck of it so it is solid as a rock. There is a 1/8" steel rod through the rear setup for extra strength.
2021_0211_074630_001.JPG
2021_0211_081523_001.JPG
2021_0211_083355_001.JPG
2021_0211_095944_001.JPG
2021_0211_155403_001.JPG
2021_0211_155637_001.JPG
Control rods are on, pull pull setup. Hatch is complete. Other then a little velcro and programming it into the tx it is ready to test. Might be awhile though, we have been in a deepfreeze for the last week, -39C this morning :(

Motor is mounted @Monte.C , slight wiggle sideways with the weight so added some struts to it. Also with the hatch cut open I added a vertical support just for the heck of it so it is solid as a rock. There is a 1/8" steel rod through the rear setup for extra strength. View attachment 192131 View attachment 192132 View attachment 192133 View attachment 192134 View attachment 192135 View attachment 192136 Control rods are on, pull pull setup. Hatch is complete. Other then a little velcro and programming it into the tx it is ready to test. Might be awhile though, we have been in a deepfreeze for the last week, -39C this morning :(
Ridiculous weather. What, do they think this is funny? How about some reasonable temperatures? :D
Motor tower struts = good. :)
Funny, you mentioned cutting open the hatch. I got halfway through a powered glider build a while back and had to hold my attention on this snow skeeter. Never got to cutting it open yet. Heaven knows what's going on inside that fuselage by now... :LOL:
Your motor mount looks like the conning tower on a submarine!
I have high expectations for your racer there.

Juggling weather and work schedule it's hard for me to find a good day, but Saturday might be it if there's still good snow in the park. I need to do a little soldering, velcro, and plug it in. I might beat you to the field!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Ridiculous weather. What, do they think this is funny? How about some reasonable temperatures? :D
Motor tower struts = good. :)
Funny, you mentioned cutting open the hatch. I got halfway through a powered glider build a while back and had to hold my attention on this snow skeeter. Never got to cutting it open yet. Heaven knows what's going on inside that fuselage by now... :LOL:
Your motor mount looks like the conning tower on a submarine!
I have high expectations for your racer there.

Juggling weather and work schedule it's hard for me to find a good day, but Saturday might be it if there's still good snow in the park. I need to do a little soldering, velcro, and plug it in. I might beat you to the field!
Lol. I think you will beat me to the field, -20 is what they forecast for Sunday.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so i guess this is what happens when your boys get their butt handed to them in the big game, you have too many adult beverages as a result, you have access to the internet, and you have a credit card.

so glad we lost. :ROFLMAO:

20210211_165559.jpg

got 2 smart batteries with it and the first is almost charged and i can't wait. they say to run it slow for the first battery so i am going to have to be good, which i am not known for, but i will set it on 50% and just run it up and down the street. :sneaky:

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
so i guess this is what happens when your boys get their butt handed to them in the big game, you have too many adult beverages as a result, you have access to the internet, and you have a credit card.

so glad we lost. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 192152

got 2 smart batteries with it and the first is almost charged and i can't wait. they say to run it slow for the first battery so i am going to have to be good, which i am not known for, but i will set it on 50% and just run it up and down the street. :sneaky:

laters,

me :cool:
Slash? 2wd or 4wd?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
2wd. Losi 22S SCT

just did 1/2 a battery and i can tell this is gonna be fun. had it @ 50% beginner mode the whole time and it still gets up and goes.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Technically the snow racer is ready to test , just need some warmer weather, today's high was -24C :( . The setup in it should do good, Power-up Zoom 26/42 2750kv motor, 80A esc and a 6X3 TGS prop. Great power under 3S, stupid power under 4S, guess which way I will go ? :D . My only dilemma is I couldn't find a 2 channel RX, I hope a 9 channel one will work :unsure:
2021_0211_081523_001.JPG

Technically the snow racer is ready to test , just need some warmer weather, today's high was -24C :( . The setup in it should do good, Power-up Zoom 26/42 2750kv motor, 80A esc and a 6X3 TGS prop. Great power under 3S, stupid power under 4S, guess which way I will go ? :D . My only dilemma is I couldn't find a 2 channel RX, I hope a 9 channel one will work :unsure:
View attachment 192243
Oh no that's WAY too many channels. I bet it won't even get off the ground. :LOL:

Just finished mine. Almost wanted to film it running across the carpet, but my place is a mess!
This is gonna be good.