FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
what a rabbit hole this rc truck thing has become. only flew 2 times today, spent the rest w the trucks. :sneaky:

ran 2 batteries through my 22S short course and just had a heck of a time keeping it straight. it is only 2WD so it has always been a hand full but today it was just all over the place. we lined up for a 3 lap race of the oval and i got LAPPED!

so, obviously we cannot allow that. first thing i can address is tires. got these originally for my 1/10 scale crawler but think i may try on the front. it widens the stance and adds just a bit of height. hopes are it will help hold that front end in line without the back spinning around. if not, they will go on the crawler. i am printing new adapters for that as we speak...

20210228_152300.jpg

at this point i will soon be at 4 trucks and a buggy so i am thinking about getting a surface DX5 so i can run them all on 1 controller. dragging all these out everyday is getting a little stupid. if i do, i will get a Spektrum SR6299 AVC receiver with it so i can put it in the 22S and steal it's RX for the crawler. i think a little traction control may help make the 2WD truck much more user friendly on the loose stuff.

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
what a rabbit hole this rc truck thing has become. only flew 2 times today, spent the rest w the trucks. :sneaky:

ran 2 batteries through my 22S short course and just had a heck of a time keeping it straight. it is only 2WD so it has always been a hand full but today it was just all over the place. we lined up for a 3 lap race of the oval and i got LAPPED!

so, obviously we cannot allow that. first thing i can address is tires. got these originally for my 1/10 scale crawler but think i may try on the front. it widens the stance and adds just a bit of height. hopes are it will help hold that front end in line without the back spinning around. if not, they will go on the crawler. i am printing new adapters for that as we speak...

View attachment 193953

at this point i will soon be at 4 trucks and a buggy so i am thinking about getting a surface DX5 so i can run them all on 1 controller. dragging all these out everyday is getting a little stupid. if i do, i will get a Spektrum SR6299 AVC receiver with it so i can put it in the 22S and steal it's RX for the crawler. i think a little traction control may help make the 2WD truck much more user friendly on the loose stuff.

laters,

Try some softer compound tires, made a huge difference on my Slash 2wd.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
PSA: Mud bad. You don't wanna know what the underside of the fuselage and wing looks like.

PXL_20210302_213121041.jpg

It's just the constant struggle of having a field situated smack dab in the middle of a floodplain. 20 minutes of rain is all it takes for the ground to be uncomfortably soggy. We had two days of rain PLUS runoff from a foot of snowfall melting. This is the first day I've come by where the road has been drivable. And of course I'm flying. I didn't bring a quart of fuel and drive half an hour for nothing now.

The runway looks dry. It isn't. Sure, the geomat might be but as soon as you hit it all the water underneath comes straight up through it and coats your plane...

PXL_20210302_202328850.jpg

The flying abruptly ended when the engine sucked in a piece of Indiana corn and died on climbout. The engine and plane were fine but my boots weren't after the very muddy walk to go get them. I drove home barefoot. I think I'll wait until it's warmer to do crap like that...

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PSA: Mud bad. You don't wanna know what the underside of the fuselage and wing looks like.

View attachment 194154

It's just the constant struggle of having a field situated smack dab in the middle of a floodplain. 20 minutes of rain is all it takes for the ground to be uncomfortably soggy. We had two days of rain PLUS runoff from a foot of snowfall melting. This is the first day I've come by where the road has been drivable. And of course I'm flying. I didn't bring a quart of fuel and drive half an hour for nothing now.

The runway looks dry. It isn't. Sure, the geomat might be but as soon as you hit it all the water underneath comes straight up through it and coats your plane...

View attachment 194156

The flying abruptly ended when the engine sucked in a piece of Indiana corn and died on climbout. The engine and plane were fine but my boots weren't after the very muddy walk to go get them. I drove home barefoot. I think I'll wait until it's warmer to do crap like that...

THIS is one of the reasons I swap to gaming and now guitar building over winter. I dont mind the cold but the stress on batteries and all the clean up of EVERYTHING each day you go out in the muck gets old fast. Specially if yer a grumpy old man like me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
new wheels on both and new axle extensions on the crawler.

20210305_190041.jpg

new rim lock wheels for the crawler are awesome. old wheels and tires weighed 98g, new 185g! i also gained width and height. new wheels rub on the old body so i am currently designing a new cage frame for it that i will 3D print. haven't finalized my ideas yet but pretty close.

20210305_183622.jpg

20210305_185352.jpg

new wheels on short course meant i had to trim the body. pretty happy with the results. will test tomorrow and adjust if needed.

20210305_191144.jpg

oh ya, and i also plan to fly tomorrow. :sneaky:

laters,

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
new wheels on both and new axle extensions on the crawler.

View attachment 194390

new rim lock wheels for the crawler are awesome. old wheels and tires weighed 98g, new 185g! i also gained width and height. new wheels rub on the old body so i am currently designing a new cage frame for it that i will 3D print. haven't finalized my ideas yet but pretty close.

View attachment 194395

View attachment 194393

new wheels on short course meant i had to trim the body. pretty happy with the results. will test tomorrow and adjust if needed.

View attachment 194394

oh ya, and i also plan to fly tomorrow. :sneaky:

laters,

I'm thinking I should probably start getting into trucks, I found the perfect spot to run them yesterday.

Timmy

Legendary member
I finnaly got to flying the gunjet on 4s! woo! its crazy fun and handles the wind like a boss! My new favorite plane. The sound is great too. I gotta find a lighter battery though. I'm using a 2200 4s instaed of a 1300 4s. Still flew though and I could take off form grass. I also crashed on landing. I poster about that in my crash log. 10/10 great plane @Grifflyer !

I finnaly got to flying the gunjet on 4s! woo! its crazy fun and handles the wind like a boss! My new favorite plane. The sound is great too. I gotta find a lighter battery though. I'm using a 2200 4s instaed of a 1300 4s. Still flew though and I could take off form grass. I also crashed on landing. I poster about that in my crash log. 10/10 great plane @Grifflyer !
(y)
So much for slow & graceful. Looks like you changed you mind! :D

I changed my mind about the Beech 18.
Thing is, you can build a really small true-to-scale model of something, but if it's small enough then it'll have to go crazy fast to get any reasonable flight characteristics. So to optimize it for a more gentle flyer I maximized wing surface, etc. But it became more like a WW2 bomber, which I've already built & flown.

Now I'm about to start my A-10. I did enlarge the wing a bit, but it still looks like an A-10 for sure. As small as I can get it using "normal" electronics. (Without getting into micro components and a 1S battery.)
Sorry no pics to post - I'm about to cut out paper templates. Yay! Here we go with the next project.

Timmy

Legendary member
Theres a sweet point for a plane getting beat up. You need it to beat up enough for you to not care as much if it crashes, but not so beat up that it flies bad. Ya know? I think I've hit that sweet spot with the grunjet, and that means I'm gonna have lots fun with it :devilish:

Theres a sweet point for a plane getting beat up. You need it to beat up enough for you to not care as much if it crashes, but not so beat up that it flies bad. Ya know? I think I've hit that sweet spot with the grunjet, and that means I'm gonna have lots fun with it :devilish:
That's funny! Now it's broken-in. ;)