FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
:devilish:

20210621_163905.jpg
20210621_163916.jpg

ready to maiden. maybe wednesday morning before work.

laters,

me :cool:

Tench745

Master member
Those look like old designs from RCG. Under the scratch built foamy section of the forum they have a thread called 600+ free plans, and that most likely has them in it
Most likely. I already found plans similar to the eindecker and the bird dog. Not exact matches, but close. The biplane is the most intriguing to me and the most elusive. Time to do some digging over on RCgroups.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I am planning on making a book that is made to interest teens into the RC Hobby. any ideas what to make it about, or who I can interview for facts to make it more on point, etc. all help will be hapilly accepted.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Absolutely zero, we are under a heatwave unless I work a 1am to6am which is about the only time I can get my shop under 80F , during the day even with the doors closed it will easily get over 90F , it's almost touching 100F right now .

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
almost there. had planned on trying to paint some sections today but first rain in 5 months is happening so i will wait and won't complain.

20210702_150111.jpg

took time to sand some more and add some more mudd.

taped off the engine nacelles to paint inside black. can't seem to find my airbrush though... :rolleyes:

20210702_184204.jpg

and these stupid things, don't even get me started. super cool but OMG they take forever. that nose was over 1.5 hrs of glue, hold, glue, hold, glue, hold, glue, hold, glue, hold, ....you get the idea.

20210702_120459_003 (1).jpg

the front is now on it's 3rd "mud" and looking really good. canopy on it's first thick. i was a little hesitant towards all the work of spackling the plane but i think it is gonna be worth it.

20210702_191150.jpg

we will finish sanding tomorrow and fit canopy. still need to fully glue in the main wing and center the rear stab. then we go to paint shop and graphics. i want to do a "close" replica of a 355th Hog that is based here in Tucson. we are the "home" of the A-10 so i only feel it is fitting. @Rasterize has some custom stuff for me and cross fingers this should be pretty cool.

IMG_1017.jpg

laters,

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so, trying to get a bunch of guys into cheap, fpv buggy racing. this thing is $105 from banggood and is fully loaded and stupid fun. i designed and printed a FPV camera mount and guard. driving this thing is intense!

20210719_151101.jpg

20210720_175427.jpg

made a few changes to design of the protective loop and re-printing now. it will work with the buggy body installed. gonna try and hook a few more fish tomorrow morning at the field with test drives. ;)

laters,

Wildthing

Legendary member
Today I scored a nice little engine, a Super Tigre 40, well oiled but went through it and cleaned it up a bit more, it has great compression so it should run well. . Now to figure out what I am going to put it into, I am thinking of a 60" or so WS 3D plane, any suggestions or is something that size to much for this engine?

2021_0721_223253_001.JPG
2021_0721_223305_002.JPG

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Today I scored a nice little engine, a Super Tigre 40, well oiled but went through it and cleaned it up a bit more, it has great compression so it should run well. . Now to figure out what I am going to put it into, I am thinking of a 60" or so WS 3D plane, any suggestions or is something that size to much for this engine?

View attachment 204070 View attachment 204071

If you want to do actual 3D, and unless it's really lightly built, a 60" WS airframe would probably be a bit much. Usually for that kind of thing you'd use a 60 or bigger.

The original Italian made Super Tigre engines (which is I think what this is) all run really nicely. Great power too but I think it was because they used to come with a really huge muffler that had a slight tuning effect designed into it. This doesn't have it but it should perform well nonetheless. The only really bad thing I've heard about them is that they have a ring design that tends to get stuck easily if you run castor but since you have good compression this hasn't happened.

Wildthing

Legendary member
If you want to do actual 3D, and unless it's really lightly built, a 60" WS airframe would probably be a bit much. Usually for that kind of thing you'd use a 60 or bigger.

The original Italian made Super Tigre engines (which is I think what this is) all run really nicely. Great power too but I think it was because they used to come with a really huge muffler that had a slight tuning effect designed into it. This doesn't have it but it should perform well nonetheless. The only really bad thing I've heard about them is that they have a ring design that tends to get stuck easily if you run castor but since you have good compression this hasn't happened.
Thanks for the info