FT wing design

GlassL

I've noticed after building both wings for the Tiny Trainer and looking at videos of other model builds that the wing are all designed with a main wing as a closed Clark Y style (cambered top and flat bottom) but the wing tip end up with an open under camber. Is this do to give the wing washout by increasing lift at the tips so in a stall the main wing section stalls first causing a nose down pitch before the tip stalls? I am use to the older balsa kit designs like the Telemaster or Kadet were you have a flat Clark Y airfoil form root to tip.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I've noticed after building both wings for the Tiny Trainer and looking at videos of other model builds that the wing are all designed with a main wing as a closed Clark Y style (cambered top and flat bottom) but the wing tip end up with an open under camber. Is this do to give the wing washout by increasing lift at the tips so in a stall the main wing section stalls first causing a nose down pitch before the tip stalls? I am use to the older balsa kit designs like the Telemaster or Kadet were you have a flat Clark Y airfoil form root to tip.
Welcome to the forums! That's exactly it, you are right. Gives a gentler tip stall in level flight. Most of the FT planes have this feature designed around a trainer experience type of flight. There is always room to extend the bottom plates out or cut the wing tips off for different styles of flying or pilot skill level. The nice thing about the Tiny Trainer is you can build a few wings to try them out and see what you like better.

GlassL

Just getting back in after about 20 year. Work and kids put it on the back burner. Built a Hobby Lobby Telemaster 40 balsa kit as my first plane. Now that I'm retired getting back in. Built a tiny trainer with a basic 4 channel radio to start. I'm very rusty and broke both prop that came in the power pack on my first 4 flights. waiting for replacements. Had to rebuilt the power pod. Also built a 40" Armin wing following Experimantal Airlines video, he makes it look easier than it is the first time but it looks like it will fly. now I need to build a Noob tube to attach it to but my DS has been out of FB lately. I used the F pack for my trainer because I later want to build a Mini Mustang. The powers a little high for the TT if you put the stick full forward.

GlassL

I am also looking to electrify my old Telemaster and I upgraded my old Thunder Tiger Cardinal 177 from a 550 brushed motor to a new brushless but I haven't flown it yet figuring I'll hone my skills on the TT before trying the Cardinal.

GlassL

The Cardinal had a 550 canned motor with 3:1 gear box and never had must power, always had to hand launch. now it taxis in the grass but I haven't put her in the air yet.

GlassL

How long have you been flying for?

How is the build coming along?

Here is my TT with both wings, only decorated the 3 channel wing.

Attachments

• 20191204_212638.jpg
    20191204_212638.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191204_214439.jpg
    20191204_214439.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
got practice building the second power pod already and am waiting on new props to try again.
This is the prop I use for my mini planes. I trimmed it to about 5 inches long, and have never broken it. I nose dived my mini scout in a brutal crash and the prop was fine! :)
32030AEE-8CEC-4E18-BC8F-528217FF206A.jpeg
6C97DCFB-EA2C-4CC6-B420-3C82394B711E.jpeg
34F51248-6F06-4397-AC9B-40D40532F6F1.jpeg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The minim planes are great if you like cuddling in small spaces but the standard size planes are where it is at. It you want a good standard size trainer the Simple Scout works well. If you are going to use the Cardinal the motor set up you have for it will work out good. Do you have a picture of the Cardinal?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I've used the 6x3 prop that came with the power pack and they break pretty easy. Interesting ideal to trim down from a larger prop.
Awhile ago I was on the FT store site and they had a sale of 6x3 props in a 2 pack for $0.15 US. I bought like 20 packs... not to long after I lost my Mini electronics in a tree lol

GlassL

The minim planes are great if you like cuddling in small spaces but the standard size planes are where it is at. It you want a good standard size trainer the Simple Scout works well. If you are going to use the Cardinal the motor set up you have for it will work out good. Do you have a picture of the Cardinal?
I am currently flying out of a local park close to home so the Mini is great. I will need a bigger field for the Cardinal 177 and the Telemaster.

Attachments

• 20191211_174907.jpg
    20191211_174907.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

GlassL

Awhile ago I was on the FT store site and they had a sale of 6x3 props in a 2 pack for $0.15 US. I bought like 20 packs... not to long after I lost my Mini electronics in a tree lol
That was a good sale I think I paid $1.63 each for the replacements and bought ten this time we'll see if that gets me broken in!