FT X-29 Rudder

MrKilometer

Hi all,

I currently in the process of building the FT X-29, and I decided to add a rudder to the vertical stabilizer. I would like to do more advanced aerobatics with the airplane than what just the elevons allow, but I'm wondering what effects the rudder will have on the flight characteristics. I figure that since the wings are pretty short (combined with the tall vertical stabilizer) there will be some coupling , but if anyone who is more knowledgeable and/or has made a similar modification in the past could weigh in, that would be great.

telnar1236

Elite member
Hi all,

I currently in the process of building the FT X-29, and I decided to add a rudder to the vertical stabilizer. I would like to do more advanced aerobatics with the airplane than what just the elevons allow, but I'm wondering what effects the rudder will have on the flight characteristics. I figure that since the wings are pretty short (combined with the tall vertical stabilizer) there will be some coupling , but if anyone who is more knowledgeable and/or has made a similar modification in the past could weigh in, that would be great.
The rudder will probably work to roll the plane a bit, but I wouldn't think it would be unmanageable. Also, watch out for weakening the vertical stabilizer since it's a single layer of foam board. I wouldn't expect the X-29 (or EDFs in general) to perform particularly complex aerobatics. There is no flow from a prop over the control surfaces so a lot of rudder maneuvers don't work as well. But a rudder is still nice to have so I wouldn't avoid building one if you want it.

L Edge

Master member
If you are looking to explore and do advanced aerobatics, install servos to control your canards and that will spice up your abilities. In fact, I have used the canards as a second set of elevons. Gives a new dimension to flying the X-29. Do add the rudder.

MrKilometer

If you are looking to explore and do advanced aerobatics, install servos to control your canards and that will spice up your abilities. In fact, I have used the canards as a second set of elevons. Gives a new dimension to flying the X-29. Do add the rudder.

That sounds like fun. Where did you mount the servos for the canards?
The rudder will probably work to roll the plane a bit, but I wouldn't think it would be unmanageable. Also, watch out for weakening the vertical stabilizer since it's a single layer of foam board. I wouldn't expect the X-29 (or EDFs in general) to perform particularly complex aerobatics. There is no flow from a prop over the control surfaces so a lot of rudder maneuvers don't work as well. But a rudder is still nice to have so I wouldn't avoid building one if you want it.

Added the rudder. I actually found an X-29 model in an old version of Realflight, and the rudder doesn't do much, so I expect the same for the FT model.

L Edge

Master member
To make a set of canards is real simple.
canard.jpg

viggen.jpg

Simplest is to take a large servo arm(double sided) and hot glue it to the bottom of the canard. Make sure the servo is perpendicular to the canard. Use petroleum in the spline to prevent the glue jamming the spline. After it dries, notch a small hole in the foam at a 45 degree so you line up the servo retainer screw to drop in and tighten up the arm to the servo.

Two samples above show you can flush it to an external surface or glue the side of the servo to some surface.
Go here to see a closeup of my "udder rudder" I designed which stands up nicely to tough flying. (thread 2)
This will really improve your pitch and roll if you make it a set of elevons to do acrobatics.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ly-in-high-and-gusty-winds.70981/#post-731361

Last edited:

Gsg1216

Hi all,

Hey, this does not regard the rudder but does involve a question regarding the X-29. I have had one for years and have never gotten it to fly. I have experience throwing EDFs so I do not believe the throw is the issue. I, or someone else, would throw it, it would look promising, but then I would never get any control over the surfaces before it hit the ground. I had 100% throw on it. I use a 5 blade 70mm EDF, 60 amp esc, and a 3000mah 4s 30c. It is essentially the same set up as my Viggen that works great. Any thoughts?

MrKilometer

Is your CG at the markings on the fuselage? I've seen videos of similar situations with the X-29, and they're all related to a forward CG.

Gsg1216

Mine was a speed build so it has those little CG dots, I have launched it only with the cg directly on them. Is it slightly off? I’ve thought about making a tail heavy attempt but obviously that could also get a lot sketchier if done incorrectly

telnar1236

Elite member
Hey, this does not regard the rudder but does involve a question regarding the X-29. I have had one for years and have never gotten it to fly. I have experience throwing EDFs so I do not believe the throw is the issue. I, or someone else, would throw it, it would look promising, but then I would never get any control over the surfaces before it hit the ground. I had 100% throw on it. I use a 5 blade 70mm EDF, 60 amp esc, and a 3000mah 4s 30c. It is essentially the same set up as my Viggen that works great. Any thoughts?
The X-29 control surfaces are extremely close to the CG so not very effective. Working canards as referenced here could really help if that is the issue.

L Edge

Master member
G , Did it go like this?

As you can see, canards were too close. Had rudder which helped me save it. So install and use.

I then moved the fixed canards further up in front( distance) and adjusted the battery until I found a good CG.

Flys nice and slow when you do high alpha's.
Hope that helps.