FT22- hand launch issue, whats worng ??

FT22- hand launch issue, whats worng ?? - Got it finally

Hi Guys, Please point out what am i doing wrong, pls see the video, http://youtu.be/qyOU9gQohEo ... I have exp with bixler2 and mini swift, but this kind of launch is new to me .. please help !!

And also it got damaged a bit , how can i repair this form board aircraft?

f22.jpg f22.jpg

Last edited:

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
With regards to repair, you can reinforce via popsicle sticks or skewers.

Launching, launch at horizon or slightly above, very light, high (1/2-3/4) throttle, smoothness is key

joshuabardwell

Mentor
With side-arm launches, it's very easy to inadvertently pull down on the wing. I prefer so-called "overhead" launches.

Hold the wing just outside the path of the prop and launch as shown in that video, and you will likely get better results. At the very least, the overhead throw gives the plane more altitude when it leaves your hand, so you have more room to correct.

Thank you guys. .. will try I got the plane repaired .. will try tomorrow if it's not windy... BTW today was so calm day barely any wind ... will that make a difference ? And if am correct to understand ... I should not throw with force? But with smooth transition ... and motor takes over ?

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I always tossed mine underhanded. Grabbed it right behind the "canopy" and tossed it so it had about a 45* angle to it. Flew great that way

offaxis

Here's what I do:
Wing Tip in my left hand. Right hand on the controls stick. Punch the throttle with my chin to 3/4-full and Whip it! Keep your arm straight and angle 45degs upwards. Like a discus toss with out spinning my body around. As soon as you get your left hand on the controller, back the throttle down to about 1/2.

Using your left hand might help counteract some torque roll. In the video it looks like the plane was not level when you released and you didn't have enough airspeed to prevent the torque roll. When you add those two together, the plane was near a knife edge and it flopped down on the ground as you tried to compensate.

Some Motivation:

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
behind canopy, so near the front ducts ? but i fear when i launch i add an inward curve to the flight path ... :(
Throttle up till you feel the plane trying to force its way out of your hand. Motor is already spinning so no torque roll. And what ever direction you point the plane it will go that way.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
behind canopy, so near the front ducts ? but i fear when i launch i add an inward curve to the flight path ... :(

It's actually a fairly safe launch for the FT-22 into high-alpha flight. The steep angle you toss it at causes the airframe to travel more horizontally at first than axially (in the direction the nose is pointing, which would be bad). doing that causes the propeller to slide past well below your hand.

If you watch the videos, the FT-22 is typically either launched this way or by side-arm launching the wingtip, so you can see how either are done.

One note about side-arm launching -- the FT-22 has plenty of power and almost no wingloading. This means it needs very little forward speed to keep it from stalling. Smooth and easy is perfect for it, just don't give it a Frisbee flick at the end of the throw. This isn't the case for larger flying wings (which are typically self-launched side-arm) and can be hard to do without the flick . . . and spin . . . and crash. easiest way to prevent the flick (again not that hard with an FT-22) is to grip it back handed. You can't flick it that way since the hand doesn't move that direction naturally.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
nope a beginner it is easier to fly in no wind or up to just a couple of mph

CrashRecovery

Mentor
That's perfect weather. I know when I put a big motor on mine if I tossed it without the motor running or too little throttle the plane would torque roll when I gave it too much. But if I kept the throttle pretty even the plane flew level

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
F22 launch? I toss mine into high alfa then gas it!

I never even tried launching from the wingtip. I hold mine behind the canopy, give it half throttle and basically let go of it.

It drops a couple of inches and the prop clears my hand by a very safe margin.

It has flown from my hand perfectly every flight. I'm wondering if it's maybe a little tail heavy? It just didn't look stable to me at all! Check your CG.

Regardless, keep trying and don't let yourself get discouraged. After you master it, you'll have that skill forever.

I never even tried launching from the wingtip. I hold mine behind the canopy, give it half throttle and basically let go of it.

It drops a couple of inches and the prop clears my hand by a very safe margin.

It has flown from my hand perfectly every flight. I'm wondering if it's maybe a little tail heavy? It just didn't look stable to me at all! Check your CG.

Regardless, keep trying and don't let yourself get discouraged. After you master it, you'll have that skill forever.

CG was a bit nose heavy but will check once more...I dont understand when u say behind canopy, wont the prop hurt your fingers? do you have a video link ? :confused:

and how much should the throws be?