FT270 Chase Quad Frame dimensions

febeks

Hi there,

I really like the FT270 Chase Quad Frame mostly because of its place for battery on the top of its body and also because it has a place for gimball or other camera at the front.

It is going to be my first build and it has to be rock solid (I want to fly also long range)! My question is where can I find some information about this frame? I was unable to find anything about it.

The reason I need dimensions is that I want to put in there KISS FC v2 along with Mr Steele PDB . And because mr steele said and its also written in description, this PDB was specifically designed for our ImpulseRC Alien, which made me wonder, if it will fit in the FT270 frame.

Other than that, I want to put in the frame:

• TBS UNIFY PRO 5G8 HV
    TBS UNIFY HV / FrSky RX Mounting Board
    TBS CROSSFIRE micro receiver V2
    TBS CORE PNP PRO + TBS CORE PNP PRO GPS/Compass Unit

and for engines, ETHIX Mr Steele SILK Motor V2.

Questions:

Are the holes on the frame compatible with engines holes?
Will the KISS FC v2 + PDB fit in there on top of each other?
Will the other "long range" equipment fit in there somewhere?

Thank you all for help!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hello and Welcome to Flite Test mate.

This is an ambitious build for a first timer. I can answer a few of your questions as I have built a few myself. Yes the motors will bolt right up. There has been a standard format for mounting holes used now for a while. Obviously matching the proper motor sizes to the proper frame range is important but for now the choice you have made is fine.

I recently rebuilt my Alien and upgraded to the Steele pdb and have just looked at the FT 270 frame. I do believe that the Steele PDB will easily fit as it simply slides over the standard 30 mm spaced stand offs for that quad. There looks to be plenty of room to fit between the upper frame stand offs as Steeles pdb is more rectangular then standard square pdbs.

As for the TBS gps unit. I think there may be better smaller solutions since the gear you choose requires a separate additional power unit that would just be way more weight added. either go all tbs and match the system or go with a different setup if you are bound to have and use the Steele pdb. I used the pnp50 on my Alien when I first built it. Its a decent filter but that is some seriously heavy gear by todays standards which is why I went with the Steele to replace it and shed some weight.

Lastly Ill touch on that whole long range thing. Personally I think that's a REALLY bad idea out of the gate. I would suggest a few months of normal range flying so you learn your build inside out and can keep control under any conditions. Long range loss of control is the biggest problem our hobby faces because people toss a phantom in the air and rely on GPS and RTN functions they never set up properly. The build you are planning is a powerful heavy build and can cause serious damage or even potentially kill some one if it were to get away from you.

You in the end have to make that decision and live with any repercussions. To me its not worth it just cause all the "cool" kids are doing it. I think this type of flying will further put our hobby under government control and seriously raises the chances of their nightmare scenarios coming true.

febeks

Thank you for information and suggestions.

Even though it is going to be my first build, I am IT guy and I kinda know what I do in this kind of hobby, but thank you for pointing that out, its always good to think twice before doing something.

Talking about the gear, what would you suggest to use instead of the TBS GPS? I mean, I want to have TBS Core Pro PNP with all those features and I dont want to buy cheaper version with less features and then upgrade to something better, also more expensive. I am a man of self confidence, I do it once and "forever" :D Hope you know what I mean.

Talking about flying and learning how to handle critical situations, you are right. But to build that drone, it will take couple months for me since I got a lots of IT projects going on and quads are reaally just a hobby for me, but I do own a pretty damn fast drone which requires some skills to fly..Im learning, but by the time I will build my first quad, I should be fine flying it long range.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
The Kiss fc & Steele pdb will fit no problem. I think that TBS Core is more designed for flying wings and larger quad platforms. It looks like fairly old tech. I’m not a Kiss guy, but I’d expect there are better and smaller OSD and GPS options.

As far as long range, I somewhat agree with Psyborg. When first learning to fly, you’re going to want to keep the quad fairly close. These miniquads are extremely different from the computer-assisted flight of a DJI drone. You’re fully engaged on the sticks and every input has a direct result. That being said, there’s nothing wrong with starting out with crossfire early on. It’s just overkill (and more expensive). Remember, always safety first. Don’t fly over people.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have no idea on any particular GPS gear. I have just seen other people here doing builds and they have shown some very small and capable units for what they do. I have no plans to bother with any of that as I crash a lot and that just means its that much further to walk and probably even harder to find hehe.

Maybe take a peek at Painless360's site. I am sure he has reviewed and made set up videos for a lot of that tech by now.

febeks

I have no idea on any particular GPS gear. I have just seen other people here doing builds and they have shown some very small and capable units for what they do. I have no plans to bother with any of that as I crash a lot and that just means its that much further to walk and probably even harder to find hehe.

Maybe take a peek at Painless360's site. I am sure he has reviewed and made set up videos for a lot of that tech by now.

Alright, I am going to tak e look.

Btw, since you have that frame, would you send me a picture with some general measurements of that frame? I mean like length of the arms, space between all of the arms, body size and sizes of the space for the PCB's and how long is the space for battery?

Thank you a lot.

cnc_dave

just my 2 bits. still pretty much new to this stuff. sort of of been heading the direction you want to go and totally no experience with the tbs stuff. that said.
the tbs core thing does (to me) look like sort of old tech. recently upgraded my 250 size quad with a matek f405 ctr fc. its a all in one (pdb & FC), with current sensor and on board OSD, purchased from race day quads for $40. it has 5 uarts, i have inav firmware loaded on it with $20 gps module. doing everhting that tbs gear does
long story short, check out some the youtube stuff on inav.
and check this guy out, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAcd4GwUCtL-BLF3Kw0tdZA
i wouldn't recommend this guys style for everyone, he's got some serious ca honey's. he use's tbs crossfire i believe.
i'm traveling far enough with frsky x-sr
again, i'm not as experienced as french or psyborg, just looks like an expensive road you are heading down