FTCA Flying Site: Holmes County RC Airpark

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Welcome!

If you've found your way here from the sign at the flying site, please feel free to introduce yourself.

(Not likely at the moment since there is no sign yet.)

If you're here by way of the internet, well, you can introduce yourself too!

The location is on Long Round Bay Road in Bonifay FL.

https://goo.gl/maps/BYCQdkFgjbrsrLDr7

The Holmes County RC Airpark was approved by the Holmes County Board of Commissioners in November of 2021. We're currently working to get the field opened to the public. The runway needs grading, and the road needs to be reestablished. Hopefully both of those items will be taken care of this weekend.

This post will be edited to reflect the current field situation. With luck, updates will start soon.

***UPDATE!!!***

Field will unofficially open on Friday December 24th, 2021.

Come on out and get a Christmas Eve Day flight or two in.

image.png

flying site.jpg
on the map.jpg

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Is the "FRIA" regulation in affect? You know, the one that says only community-based organizations can apply for a FRIA.

couldn't be... unless something changed resently, the FAA is still working out how they are going to approve CBOs, and that has to come before they could do FRIAs. IIRC FRIAs also come on line at the same time as as Remote ID which is 2? years out as of today (it was to be 3 years from approval, but approval took so long they cut it to 2.5 years some time this year when it got approved).

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Welcome!

If you've found your way here from the sign at the flying site, please feel free to introduce yourself.

(Not likely at the moment since there is no sign yet.)

If you're here by way of the internet, well, you can introduce yourself too!

The location is on Long Round Bay Road in Bonifay FL.

https://goo.gl/maps/BYCQdkFgjbrsrLDr7

The Holmes County RC Airpark was approved by the Holmes County Board of Commissioners in November of 2021. We're currently working to get the field opened to the public. The runway needs grading, and the road needs to be reestablished. Hopefully both of those items will be taken care of this weekend.

This post will be edited to reflect the current field situation. With luck, updates will start soon.

View attachment 213235
Cool!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Perfect!

So, right now, we need to get the entrance figured out. As it is, the gate is a bear to work with, it swings out and tries to hit your car if you park too close. I want to move the gate further in, and open up a parking area for non FTCA members.

This area needs to be fenced in. I've seen too many clubs that don't secure their field, and are constantly dealing with people coming in at night and driving on the runway, doing donuts and other destructive activities.

I'll have to get permission to do this, but I am sure I can work something out with the county.

We'll need to build up some tables too. I'd like to put up a small fence to designate the runway side parking from the pit area. We'll need to get some sort of pilot stations added too.

I'm working on signage at the moment. And waiting to hear from the county what they plan to do with regulating use hours. Most parks are technically sunrise to sunset. But of course we'd want to have after hours access for night flying.

The good news is I'm heading there soon to work with the road grader operator for cutting the runway.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Bad news is, they did not grade the runway yesterday. Good news is, they'll be doing it on Monday.

I'll be heading back over today to move the stakes for the grader. I made the original runway too large. Since they'll be removing the grass and leaving just dirt, I'll need to put down some grass seed to prevent erosion. As I mentioned to someone else, at this point it's all coming out of my pocket, so I have to work within my budget.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Put together a FB group for the field.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/196859945978426/about

One of my complaints about "traditional" fields is that they can be intimidating for people who want to learn more about flying there, but don't know anyone associated with the field. My thought is to have this forum, and a Facebook group where they can introduce themselves, ask questions, and get information in a more comfortable format.

Links to this thread and the Facebook page will be on the sign at the field so it's easier for people to find and get the information they need.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Bad news is, they did not grade the runway yesterday. Good news is, they'll be doing it on Monday.

I'll be heading back over today to move the stakes for the grader. I made the original runway too large. Since they'll be removing the grass and leaving just dirt, I'll need to put down some grass seed to prevent erosion. As I mentioned to someone else, at this point it's all coming out of my pocket, so I have to work within my budget.

Look into Zoysia grass mate. It is like what they use on putting greens. It stays short, needs VERY little care and propagates well. Its also used on the sides of hiways in some states to prevent erosion and cut maintenance costs.

Something like the Zoysia Zeon blend I think would be perfect for a run way. Dig down about a foot below the runway area put in about 4 inches of clay for water retention, bring back to grade with fine topsoil and plant that Zoysia. Best runway EVER. Then all you do is hit it with a reel mower every other flying session and you will have the perfect runway.