FTCA Flying Site: Holmes County RC Airpark

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I've been offered a free booth space at next week's Holmes County Down Home Street Festival. I'm planning to attend to use it as a chance to promote the hobby, the FTCA, and our field. I would love to have some other field users join me at the event.
It was a good day with quite a bit of interest, but with nowhere nearby to fly, I think it was less than effective. This year we have a flying site just up the road from where the event will be held, so I think we stand a chance of getting some more people to join us on flying days.
I participated back in 2019, here's some pictures from that event.
booth001.jpeg
booth002.jpeg
booth003.jpeg

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
We were invited to participate in the Holmes County Down Home Street Festival. So I loaded up the trailer and set up right on the corner of the event. Our booth area ended up being the very first, or last (depending on how you look at it) location. So we got double the exposure by the people who walked past to and from the rest of the event.

It was an interesting mix of visitors. Many were completely unaware of Flite Test and the flying field. But I did have one family with twin boys who were very familiar with Flite Test. There were several people who were either currently flying, or used to and were interested in getting back into it. So hopefully we'll get a few of them to join us.

booth001.jpeg
booth002.jpeg
booth003.jpeg
booth004.jpeg
booth005.jpeg
booth006.jpeg
booth007.jpeg
booth008.jpeg

Happy Cat

turns out that we have racoons at the field! I was sitting on the tail gate flying my twin Otter, when a large racoon emerged from the tree line.
He started heading straight for me at a gallop. when he was at about ten yards off the far end of the runway, I realized I could be in for a confrontation. I dive-bombed him with my plane and thank goodness he took the hint! He expedited the field in a somewhat unorderly manor!

Happy Cat

Not that I am a racoon psychologist, but my guess it that the racoon came to the correct conclusion that there might be some edibles in the truck and was so overjoyed by that concept that he neglected to ascertain whether or not the truck was inhabited. Ither way, my counterattack proved sufficient in halting his advance

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Could have been rabid too. We'll need to keep an eye on that!

Thanks for coming out and helping with the info booth! Hope you enjoyed the time there.

Bricks

Master member
turns out that we have racoons at the field! I was sitting on the tail gate flying my twin Otter, when a large racoon emerged from the tree line.
He started heading straight for me at a gallop. when he was at about ten yards off the far end of the runway, I realized I could be in for a confrontation. I dive-bombed him with my plane and thank goodness he took the hint! He expedited the field in a somewhat unorderly manor!

If it was getting towards evening not a big deal but if this happened in the middle of the day best to keep an eye out as Coon are mostly nocturnal.

Happy Cat

My fears exactly as this was around 3:00. However, I have often observed racoons ditching their nighttime routine following heavy rain fall. My hope is that this poor, misguided, quadruped was on his way to check up on the fast-drying puddles in the center of the field, and simply saw the truck as a chance for some cuisine. Also, he had a very healthy reaction to my dive bombing;). However, I also agree with Bricks, his actions do warrant some caution.

Happy Cat

well, the weather report for Saturday says Sunny, with a high near 70. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. So, I will plan to be at the field starting around Maby 9:00

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Stephen designed some stickers for our flying site. In a nod to the Edgewater Airpark and their Flite Crew I thought calling our group Swampwater was fitting.

So, if you're an FTCA member flying at the Holmes County Model Flying Field, let me know and I'll get a decal made up for you.

Swampwater Flite Crew.jpeg