FTCA

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
I thought it didn’t apply to private property! Where r u spose to to get the “remote I’d” junk from? I’ll put it in my plane if they give it to me for free and it doesn’t weigh an ounce🤣

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I thought it didn’t apply to private property! Where r u spose to to get the “remote I’d” junk from? I’ll put it in my plane if they give it to me for free and it doesn’t weigh an ounce🤣

none have been created yet... I don't even think the 'protocol' has been worked out yet.. at some level, I wouldn't be suprized if a technical issue ended up causing issues with the roll out with how short the time frame is.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Remember, the FAA thinks they regulate every inch of airspace from 1mm above the ground to 60,000 feet - everywhere. Until Congress gets involved and specifies that “airspace below the tallest structure over private property is private” the FAA is going to wield bureaucratic tyranny wherever it can… including your backyard.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
almost everything I have qualifies ... my FT dart is 10g over, so just needs some tweeking (or a slightly lighter battery which wouldn't be an issue, I was trying to get away with a 2s li-ion pack on it) and the Tiny Trainers are over... but everything else is under.
“Sorry officer… you mean my RemoteID stopped transmitting?”

JasonK

“Sorry officer… you mean my RemoteID stopped transmitting?”

They could still ask to the the module (which would likely have a serial number on it) and possibly ticket you for failure to keep your equipment working.

Crow929

Just a quick review. The FAA has been creating more and more regulations. Most recently they have decided that all model aircraft and drones need to have "Remote ID", which is a system that reports its (and the pilot's) location to the public. The exception is, that if you're flying at a FRIA, a designated exemption area, such as a club field.

In order for the FAA to recognize a site as a FRIA it has to be submitted through a CBO, a community based organization. The largest existing CBO is the AMA. But even as the largest, they don't quite have 200k members. That's not much lobbying power when it comes to trying to sway rulemakers. Flite Test has a large community of hobbyists, I'd say a bit larger than the AMA even. But they're not organized.

FTCA is a way to put the FT community together in a coordinated way so that we can create and maintain flying sites and through the FTCA gain FRIA exemptions.

This is not an attempt to take away from what the AMA is doing. Hopefully it will compliment their efforts.

Although, that said, I hope it does put some pressure on them. The AMA has been a monopoly for so long that as they only game in town, I think they've become a bit stagnant. Competition breeds innovation.

This post explains so much more than the recently posted video did. Thank you for the info!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
They could still ask to the the module (which would likely have a serial number on it) and possibly ticket you for failure to keep your equipment working.
More like what happens when a transponder or ADS-B is inop now. “Please exit controlled airspace, turn right heading 080, descend to 2000, radar services terminated…”

JasonK

More like what happens when a transponder or ADS-B is inop now. “Please exit controlled airspace, turn right heading 080, descend to 2000, radar services terminated…”

but operating outside controlled airspace is allowed (at least to my understanding) without ABS-B out... there is no exception here.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
If this law goes through, will it actually be enforced? I know the police around here out in the country and stuff won’t give jack crap about a little rc airplane buzzing around over private property…

CappyAmeric

Elite member
but operating outside controlled airspace is allowed (at least to my understanding) without ABS-B out... there is no exception here.

My point is, local LEOs are not in any way equipped to deal with the idiosyncrasies of FAA required equipment that will at best have a broadcast range of less than a few miles. The FAA themselves are not so equipped to deal with "intermittent equipment failures."

Even with transponders and ADS-B, the FAA allows for in-use failures without any issues.

JasonK

My point is, local LEOs are not in any way equipped to deal with the idiosyncrasies of FAA required equipment that will at best have a broadcast range of less than a few miles. The FAA themselves are not so equipped to deal with "intermittent equipment failures."

Even with transponders and ADS-B, the FAA allows for in-use failures without any issues.

miles? given the current ideas provided in the documentation (WiFi and BlueTooth) we are talking ranges possibly less then 500m or even way less then that (IIRC BlueTooth is something like 10-15m max) If we look at our current stuff, most radio link telemetry stuff is good for 300-500m unless it is specifcally designed to be a long range bi-directional data link were there is a 'bigger' TX on the receiver then most of our current stuff.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Carry one in your flight bag in case theirs is 't calibrated correctly.,..
Im not sure carrying a digital scale around is a good idea.
When the police see your scale, I doubt weight of your plane is the first thing they will question you about.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
miles? given the current ideas provided in the documentation (WiFi and BlueTooth) we are talking ranges possibly less then 500m or even way less then that (IIRC BlueTooth is something like 10-15m max) If we look at our current stuff, most radio link telemetry stuff is good for 300-500m unless it is specifcally designed to be a long range bi-directional data link were there is a 'bigger' TX on the receiver then most of our current stuff.
The specs are still in development, but most Remote ID devices will broadcast for a few miles at best, consistent with current DJI and other consumer drone technology - but you've made my point. Most Remote ID devices will have a very small radius, with no repeaters such as in use with ADS-B - hence with interference, antenna efficiency, etc, it is highly likely that no one other than you will ever see your Remote ID signal (or lack of) unless you are flying UAS in an area that is frequented by UAS pilots.

JasonK

The specs are still in development, but most Remote ID devices will broadcast for a few miles at best, consistent with current DJI and other consumer drone technology - but you've made my point. Most Remote ID devices will have a very small radius, with no repeaters such as in use with ADS-B - hence with interference, antenna efficiency, etc, it is highly likely that no one other than you will ever see your Remote ID signal (or lack of) unless you are flying UAS in an area that is frequented by UAS pilots.

yah, if they come up with something that will do miles, I would be worried about it causing receiver issues, unless it is going to use some other frequency band then what we currently use... which would mean a special dongle needed to receive it instead of trying to use the wifi/what not chip in a cellphone mobile device, which seemed like it was one of the proposals. if they use a different protocol then wifi, then a few miles might be viable... and might not.