FTCC'18 WWII Fieseler Fi 103R Reichenberg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
This will be an EDF version of the Fieseler Fi 103R Reichenberg, aka, the manned version of the V-1 bomber. Although it made it through to testing, it never became operational.

Build Instructions

Plans

Goal for me is to turn around three view to plans to foam prototype as quickly as possible, then refine the details.

reichenberg3.jpg

DamoRC

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Initial Design in Sketchup

(1) Import the three view and scale roughly to size. Planning on using a 70mm EDF so I scaled this section appropriately which resulted in a wingspan of approx 37 inches.

1 - initial scale to EDF.jpg
2 - resulting wingspan.jpg

(2) Did a quick check on the alignment of the threeview. Although this didn't really matter for this design, you should check the sizes and square up the sections to make the process easier. You can see that the profile image should be aligned better with the planform.

3 - slight offset - okay.jpg

(3) Half-planform (will be center plate running down the fuse). I tend to work on just one side of the plane, and the copy and paste these pieces to generate a symmetrical piece

4 - plan half.jpg

(4) Half-profile - this is a weakness in this early design as the profile is not symmetrical top and bottom - but it simplifies the plan so I will leave it as is for now.

5 - profile half.jpg

(5) For the half-planform and half-profile pieces I used a bezier curve drawing tool. But these curves will not be amenable to fabricating in foamboard, so I marked out sections and then replaced the curves with straight lines, trying to maintain the illusion of curvature.

7 - replace bezier with straight.jpg

(6) Having copied the half-planform to a full-piece, I now add circles to the planform at the section lines.

9 - added circles.jpg

(7) Now, join the points withing each circle structure to each other to create surfaces between the circles. Here I am only adding the surfaces to one quadrant of the circles. When this piece is paneled, I can copy it three times to create the whole fuse.

10 - added panels to circles.jpg
11 - filled out fuse.jpg

(8) The pulse jet is created using the same methods described in steps 1 - 7

12 - pulsejet plan.jpg
13 - pulsejet circles.jpg
14 - pulsejet added panels.jpg
15 - pulsejet fille out.jpg

(9) Then position the pulsejet over the fuse

17 set position of pulse jet - 2.jpg

(10) Rough in the supports to mount the pulsejet to the fuse.

19 - place PJ support in position.jpg

(11) The support for the pulsjet interfaces with the canopy, so I rough in and finish the canopy first.

20 - roughing in canopy.jpg
21 - finishing canopy.jpg

(12) Then I can finish the forward support. The rear support / vertical stablizer / rudder will be a single piece of foam (at least that's the plan)

22 - completing the canopy and PJ support.jpg

(13) Create the planforms for the horizontal stabilizer and wing. I'll make the wing an FT style, flat-bottomed wing. The horizontal stabilizer will be a single thickness of foam.

24 Wing planform.jpg

And that's it pretty much done...at least for a first draft. Time to unfold, print, and assemble a prototype.

25 - mostly done.jpg

DamoRC

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Nicely done! I always wanted to see one of those manned V1, this thing will go crazy fast looking at it.

Here is your invitation to the FT discord server, please join so we can coordinate the squadrons and talk and stuff

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
We currently are like 4 or 5 including RockyBoy. It allows us to talk about small stuff without cluttering the forum and get help/ideas faster. He will probably add the link in the main post too.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I see discord as more of a 'I've got a few minutes and want to taunt my fellow builders in real time' while the forums are much better for sharing content, progress, issues, solutions, and non-real time taunting of fellow builders. :p

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Some progress.

I unfolded the parts in Sketchup

26 - unfolded.jpg

Then I exported them as .dxf files, opened them in DoubleCAD, and printed them as .pdf files (tiled).

First prototype build - starting with the pulsejet.

The individual component plans and corresponding parts.

1-PJ Components.JPG

A close up of one of the parts.

2- close up one component.JPG

Stacked the parts to see how they look.

3 - fitment of PJ.jpg

DamoRC

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice work so far. I like the added stuff you did to show the design process on the computer. That almost looks like this old dog could probably learn it.

If this ever fails to fly as a plane you could always leave it vertical as is and make a decent rendition of a multi stage heavy lift rocket.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks!

That almost looks like this old dog could probably learn it.

I'm sure you would have no problems with it!

So repeating the process for the fuse sections leads to this (fuse sections just sitting on top of each other, pulse jet is glued up and finished)

4 - fitment of fuse.JPG

and install the EDF.

5 - EDF installed and fuse parts.JPG

Not the fastest way to build but I like the "roundy-ness" of the result.

DamoRC

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
This sure does look very nice! Wish there was a way to unfold weird shapes in fusion 360, maybe im missing something.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wish there was a way to unfold weird shapes in fusion 360

Sorry - I have never used Fusion 360 so I can't help you there. I'm sure someone else here is using it and can help.

So fuse is glued up - I should just fill it with hydrogen and call it a Zeppelin!

6 - Fuse assembled.JPG

Close up of the canopy just sitting on the fuse - it's a bit rough (some tweaks to the plan are needed) but the fitment / interface to the fuse is good.

7 - close up of canopy offered up.JPG

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
A little more progress.

Pulsejet front support added and glued along with the canopy. As with the canopy, the plans for this part need a little tweaking but its close.

8-close up of PJ support.jpg

Added vertical stabilizer - for this prototype build there will be no rudder. Pulsejet is just sitting on the front and rear mounts right now. Will need to reinforce the VS and consider a double layer piece for the next build.

9-fuse and PJ and Tail side view.jpg

10-fuse and PJ and Tail quarter view.jpg

Horizontal stablizer and elevator next and then some wings!

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Very cool! What size EDF and battery?

Thanks!

In using the same setup as I use for the Diamond, 70mm EDF, 4s 2200mAh.

I am trying to keep as light as possible, targeting same as the Diamond at approx 2lbs.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
It's amost exactly 1/6 scale. I scaled it around the EDF unit. I can probably go 90% of the current size and still get the EDF in. But I'll see what the AUW ends up at and how she flies before re-scaling.

DamoRC