FTCC'18 WWII Fieseler Fi 103R Reichenberg

jpot1

Elite member
Been a while since I updated this project. Finalized the plans and built this version from those plans.

Now that its done (I will add a build post soon), I think I am going to pull the EDF and make her a tractor. She looks pretty good and flies okay but the push over phenomenon is always a worry.

DamoRC

Any progress on converting to a tractor? Also plans? Would love to try building this to try out your fuse approach.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Sorry jpot - been out of town with work so not much done this week. I am hoping to start the tractor conversion today. There are a couple of things I need to add to add to the plans for the EDF version, then I'll post them - maybe by tonight.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Plans And Updates

These are the current versions of the plans.

Rev 6 includes motor mounts and specs for a tractor (puller) version. The zipped file contains:

(1) Tiled PDF
(2) Full PDF
(3) The DoubleCAD .2CD file
(4) The Sketchup File
(5) The dxf file

View attachment Reichenberg Rev 6 (+Tractor).zip

DamoRC

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Build Post

This is the build of the EDF version of the Reichenberg. At the end of this post I also describe how to do the tractor version. I did not get great pictures of all of the steps and will keep the text pretty brief. If you have any questions please just post them.

The pulse jet and fuselage parts are assembled in the same way. Each of these parts is cut and scored per the plans. The score cuts are widened by running a blunt BBQ skewer along the score. These parts all have a section at the end where the foam is removed so just the outer layer of paper remains (on the RHS of this pic)
1 - a cut and scored part.JPG

Open up the scores and add a little gorilla glue (GG). I use a piece of foam to "scrape" the GG into the score cut. This results in the sections being pretty rigid. When done, add hot glue to the paper portion at the end and fold the piece around.
2 - gg and hg ready.JPG

All of the pieces have optional frames which you can cut. When you have hot glued the part, use the frame to ensure the shape is symmetrical. The frame will hold the piece in this shape while the GG dries.
3 - set up in frame.JPG

When all of your pieces are cut, glued and framed, you will have a forest of parts (won't be winning any prizes for low part count on this build)
4 - too many parts.jpg

When the GG is set, just hot glue each section together to build the fuse and pulse jet. Note: don't add the rear cone to the fuse until after the tailfeathers are installed and the wing is installed into the fuse. This will give you a chance to make sure that the wing and tail feathers are square.
5 - basic assembly.JPG

Note that there are no sub-structural pieces in the design, the GG reinforced parts are strong enough.
6 - no sub structure.JPG

The horizontal stablizer is reinforced by cutting a pocket for a thin strip of paint stirring stick to be glued in. Then add some tape.
7 - reinforce HS.JPG

A wire frame rod for the split elevators. A servo control arm is glued to the center of the rod. The rod shape is provided in the plans. The rod is then hinged with tape to the horizontal stabilizer. The elevator is fit up to the horizontal stabilizer and the shape of the rod marked on the elevator. Score cut these marks and widen a little so that the rod can fit into the elevator. Glue the rod in place and reinforce with some tape.
8 - elevator assembly.JPG

Install the HS / Elevator into the rear fuse cone as marked on the plans. You will need to cut a slot so that the servo control arm glued to the rod will pass through the piece. Once installed, cut the split elevators so that they are free to move.
9 - HS installation.JPG

I inserted a control rod with a modified Z bend into the servo control arm glued onto the rod. Then insert the other end of the rod through a linkage stopped on the servo. A couple of pieces of foam are needed to glue the servo in place so that the servo can move the elevator without interference.
10 - elevator servo.JPG

The EDF is simply glued into the first section of the pulse jet. You will need to add a slot to the second section as a relief for the EDF wires. When the first and second sections are joined, don't forget to seal this slot (I used foam and hot glue for this)
11 EDF install 1.JPG
12 EDF Install 2.JPG

Then assemble the pulse jet pieces by hot gluing each section together. Take care to use sufficient glue to seal each piece as this is your thrust tube.

13 PJ  Assembly.JPG

The wings are FT style, flat bottomed wings. The aileron servos are pocketed into the lower wing surface. Strips of paint stirrer are used to reinforce the wing and the joint between the two wing halves. Once the wing halves are joined install into the fuse. Now you can add your rear fuse cone section making sure that the wing and horizontal stabilizer are parallel.

14 Wing panels.JPG
15 wing spars.JPG
16 wing spar attached.JPG
17 pocket for servo.JPG
17 wing spar wood.JPG
18 wing profile.JPG
19 wing cross spar.JPG
20 wing install and tail.JPG

The canopy assembly is pretty straight forward. You will need to bevel the rear contact surfaces to have them join properly. You will also need to bevel the surfaces that glue to the fuse so that the canopy sits flush on the fuse. The plans provide markings to help you position the canopy properly.
21 rear of canopy.JPG
22 finished canopy.JPG
23 installed canopy.JPG

You will need to add a small hole for the EDF wires to enter the fuse.
24 hole for edf wires.JPG

Attach the vertical stabilizer to the pulsjet and then glue the piece onto the fuse (EDF holder onto the canopy, vertical stabilizer into the fuse using the tabs marked on the plans).
25 pj installed.JPG

Mark the hatch per the plans and cut out. The GG makes the piece rigid so no other reinforcement for the hatch is needed. Use short lengths of BBQ skewer at the front and small magnets at the back to allow for opening and closing of the hatch. Note The hatch position is the same for the EDF and Tractor versions of the plane.
26 mark hatch.JPG
27 cut hatch.JPG

The bottom of the plane was painted sky blue and the top of the plane painted green.
28 blue below.JPG
29 green above.JPG

Finished build before maiden.
40 - Final at the field.JPG

Tractor conversion

The following describes the conversion from EDF to Tractor. Obviously, if you are building the tractor version you can skip the EDF and nose removal steps.:rolleyes: (Note Plans are not yet updated for the tractor version)

I first removed the EDF by cutting the first section off the pulse jet. Then I removed the first three sections of the fuse.
30 - Remove EDF.JPG
31 - Remove nose.JPG

The third section of the fuse is split into two at approx the 1 inch mark.
31a- remove an inch from nose.JPG

These are the parts for the motor mount, and the motor mount assembled. I then glued a 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch piece of 1/8th ply to the mount (sorry no pic). The part was reinforced using extreme packing tape to hold the ply mount to the foam.
32 - Motor Mount Parts.JPG
33 assembled motor mount.JPG

The mount is then inserted and hot glued into the fuse section.
35 insert motor mount.JPG

The motor can then be screwed onto the ply. I used some thin washers to give it a little "down and right".
36 install motor.JPG

I noted that the remaining small ring from the fuse section will fit over the motor itself (although it makes the motor mount inaccessible).
37 extra inch fits.JPG

The fuse section with motor mount is then glued onto the fuse and a 9 x 6 APC prop installed.
38 reassembled.JPG

For a nicer finish, I removed the prop, glued on the small ring, then re-installed the prop.
39 reassembled with extra inch.JPG

DamoRC

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
These are the current versions of the plans.

Rev 5 is the final EDF version. The zipped file contains:

(1) Tiled PDF
(2) Full PDF
(3) The DoubleCAD .2CD file
(4) The Sketchup File.

View attachment 95690

DamoRC

Thank you for doing this so quickly. Plans look very easy to follow. What changes were you thinking for a tractor setup?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thank you for doing this so quickly. Plans look very easy to follow. What changes were you thinking for a tractor setup?

You're welcome. The only changes I see are (1) the front two fuse pieces will not be used (2) the third fuse piece may be a little shorter (3)design a motor mount to fit in the third fuse piece and (4) the hatch may be relocated depending on how she balances.

I am going to fit an NTM 2826 1200kV motor, equivalent to a C-pack motor and plan to run on 3S / 2200mAh.

DamoRC

jpot1

Elite member

Got it, makes sense. Printed out the pulse jet to see if I could get my sections to look as nice as yours. Plans are great as the first two pieces went together nicely!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow. You move fast. Are you doing the gorilla glue reinforcement of the score cuts? Probably not needed for the pulsejet but I would highly recomend it for the fuse. Check out the Ohka build if you want to see how I use GG to reinforce the sections.

DamoRC

jpot1

Elite member
Which do you think would be the easier conversion and plane to fly on a 3S 2200 - this or the Ohka? I think the Ohka may be an easy pusher conversion. Thoughts?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I think the Reichenberg may be easier. You would have to extend the rear of the Ohka to mount a pusher and then it might be pretty tough to balance.

DamoRC

jpot1

Elite member
Just added the build pics including the EDF to Tractor conversion to the Build Post

DamoRC

Looks great. What is the approximate diameter of the piece you cut in two? I’m trying to see if I can fit a swappable pod that I have shortened. Started cutting tonight to try out things on the pulse jet. This thing is going to be huge! Going to be a long project with all of the cuts and templates to hold everything. That being said, plans are very well laid out.
A9DED8E8-7DFC-44DA-96FB-B11DF01CD4A1.jpeg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks! Yep - its pretty long (55 inches). It's really cool to see someone else try the build.

The third section in the fuse (piece I spliced to add the motor mount) is ~1.25 inches inner diameter at the front and ~3.25 inches inner diameter at the rear. Folded, it is 2.5 inches long.

Hope that helps!

DamoRC

jpot1

Elite member
Question. I am starting with section F4 so I can fit an FT power pod that is shorter in length. Do you think it matters if the motor is centered in the fuse? I’m guessing no as many of the ft builds have the motor mounted higher.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Question. I am starting with section F4 so I can fit an FT power pod that is shorter in length. Do you think it matters if the motor is centered in the fuse? I’m guessing no as many of the ft builds have the motor mounted higher.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Really nice work on the pulse jet!

DamoRC

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
so have you done any thinking on how to make this thing buzz? 'cause that's vital to the pulsejet!
it'd be cool to have that little bit of extra scale factor.