FTCC'18 WWII Fieseler Fi 103R Reichenberg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks Namactual!

@agentkbl - yep - early in in the project I thought about what it would take to make that 50 Hz buzz, but then I totally forgot about it. Any thought as to how it could be done?

DamoRC

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
You could probably do that by putting a piece of paper in the tube, with some chance it might flap around making a buzz. Or go bicycle way and put a piece of card that touches slightly the blades of the edf but that will be more than 50hz.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
You could probably do that by putting a piece of paper in the tube, with some chance it might flap around making a buzz. Or go bicycle way and put a piece of card that touches slightly the blades of the edf but that will be more than 50hz.

Thanks Fluburtur - now that its going to be a tractor, maybe I could try the bicycle thing with the prop? The large hollow fuse might help with the sound!

DamoRC

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well maybe a freewheeling small prop in the pulsojet but that will add drag, otherwise it might just work.

jpot1

Elite member
DamoRC - question for you. Your build post shows the spar bring two layers of foam but the plans only call for one. Based on the size of the cutout in the fuse I’m thinking two layers is correct. Please confirm.

Building is continuing on my attempt. Have made mine fit a swappable pod.

980DF885-EB1A-4EB1-A214-199274E66D70.jpeg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice job on the pod! You build really well, clean and tidy.

My bad on the spar. It is a double layer. I'll update the plans.

DamoRC

jpot1

Elite member
Nice job on the pod! You build really well, clean and tidy.

My bad on the spar. It is a double layer. I'll update the plans.

DamoRC

Sadly I have lots of practice due to lots of crashing. Just picked up a case of foam today so fully stocked! Going to try the wings tomorrow and figure out the elevator. Thinking about two pushrods, one for each elevator half.

Your design approach to build the fuse this way has inspired me to possibly try an f-86 Sabre next.

jpot1

Elite member
A little more progress. Glued up the fuse and attached the elevator servo. I kept mine on the outside for easy access/adjustments. Dry fit everything and this thing will be my largest FT style build ever. Now I am concerned with using my C pack motor. It’s a Turnigy 2836/8 that per specs should produce about 1000g of thrust on a 10x6 prop. Do you have a weight on yours? Also where are you starting with CG on the tractor version?

04305D46-54DE-4AFB-96C0-DBE02FCABD8B.jpeg

E95FC95C-494B-434C-B58C-35ABF33956B7.jpeg

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I like what you did with the tail. In my original prototype I actually stuck two servos, one on either side, to drive the split elevator:rolleyes:

I did not take a weight of the modified plane (will do that tonight). I'll add it to the plans as well as the corrections I need to do based on your really helpful feedback and include the CG.

I flew the tractor version this weekend using an NTM 2826 1200kV motor, 9x6 prop, and a 2200mAh 3S, and she flew beautifully (sorry no vid). A very different experience from the EDF version. So you should have no problems with your proposed power setup.

DamoRC

Update Plans have been updated to include details for the Tractor version.

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
Just about done. This thing is crazy big. My final plans tweak was adding about one inch of the front fuse section where the bottom opens up. It is secured with a magnet. This enables at FT power pod to fit but then have a more finished look when closed.

89177AD0-4772-4480-988E-76417862AED3.jpeg
38BC9418-3557-4CDB-8A70-E8F7F1B25885.jpeg
0617CEB0-28B9-4CE2-BFBE-A667E4C0B4E1.jpeg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice, really nice. The power pod "hatch" is a great idea. Agreed - although she is not that wide, she is pretty long.

I'd also like to thank you for building this plane. I didn't realize how satisfying it would be to see someone else build a plane using my plans - and to do such a good job.

I hope your maiden goes well and you enjoy flying her.

DamoRC

When I went there in April for a week-long school trip, my favorite was the SBD Dauntless, my all-time favorite plane (first picture of it was blurry for a reason :black_eyed:), mostly because of that and the fact that this was the first time I had ever seen one in person.