FTCC'18 WWII Supermarine Spiteful MK XIV "A Spitfire Too Far"

For my entry into the FTCC'18 ww2 build off I have selected the Supermarine Spiteful. I haven't really thought too much about the actual build yet as I am going to wait for the final set of guidelines to be decided upon. I figured I should just claim this bird before anyone else does.

The Supermarine Spiteful was meant to be a successor to the Spitfire. With the Spitfires wing limiting its speed the Spiteful had a completely redesigned wing to allow for higher speeds. The Spiteful was successful and was ordered into production but very few were ever made and none of them ever entered service. Success with modern jet fighters of the time such as the Meteor and the Vampire left no need for the Spiteful as Jet powered planes were the obvious answer for high speed fighters. The Spiteful MK XIV, which I have chosen to model, was based on the fuselage of a MK XIV Spitfire but had a completely different wing and some slightly different tail feathers as well as inward folding retracts instead of the Spitfires outward folding retracts which gave the Spiteful better ground handling. Here are some pictures:
mk14.jpg spiteful.jpg 300px-Supermarine_Spiteful.svg.png

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard! :applause:

With lots of foam board designs of various Spitfires out there you should have an easy time pulling ideas and pieces/parts of proven things together (if you choose to work up from existing research) to really push the envelope on performance, scale, or ease of build (if you choose something like one of those to be a focus). Or of course you can go the opposite direction and make the primary focus on learning new skills yourself and start from a blank sheet - I'm exited to see this progress either way! :)

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Yep I briefly looked for one but the only two I saw were eflite and fms replacements that both cost $15 so if anyone has found a more reasonably price five blade prop please share!
This one is still $15, but you would get a scale spinner with it: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/duraflytm-5-blade-propeller-spinner-set-for-mk-24-spitfire.html. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. The 5 blade for my big Sea Fury had to be special order from Varioprop in Germany. That was quite a bit more pricey. Unfortunately, 5 blades are just hard to come by.. Awesome project, and will look forward to your build!

This one is still $15, but you would get a scale spinner with it: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/duraflytm-5-blade-propeller-spinner-set-for-mk-24-spitfire.html. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. The 5 blade for my big Sea Fury had to be special order from Varioprop in Germany. That was quite a bit more pricey. Unfortunately, 5 blades are just hard to come by.. Awesome project, and will look forward to your build!

I saw that too and its probably the best deal I'm going to find but I would hate to break a $15 prop. If I remember reading correctly though some Spiteful's had four blade props but the five blade looks so much better in my opinion.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nothin in the rulebook says you cant build and test on 3 or 4 blade props and save the 5 blade for the special unveiling of the final build.

Nothin in the rulebook says you cant build and test on 3 or 4 blade props and save the 5 blade for the special unveiling of the final build.

That's probably what I am going to do. I'm not sure if anyone has had a good experience 3d printing props but I might have to try that too.

Michael9865

Elite member
Last edited:
Check out Christoph Laimer. He 3D printed 2 and 3 bladed props and spinners for each. He posts his 3d-Files to: https://www.makesea.com/makesea/1gt

The Prop and spinner is here:
https://www.makesea.com/mashmarket?...4_resetCur=true&p_r_p_564233524_tag=propeller

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv3hNzy4n-onHRorHGK0_ig

I just started messing around in Fusion 360 and I think I could make a 5 blade prop and custom spinner work. Assuming I can print them right. I might try and make them in ABS and then put them in acetone vapor to smooth them out.

Sir Fly

Yep I briefly looked for one but the only two I saw were eflite and fms replacements that both cost $15 so if anyone has found a more reasonably price five blade prop please share!

I believe I saw on the Wikipedia page for this bird that it originally had a 4 blade prop, and later the 5 blade prop was added. You could always say that it's an early version, but the 5 blade prop would add to the uniqueness and probably score you some points with the judges! ;)

I believe I saw on the Wikipedia page for this bird that it originally had a 4 blade prop, and later the 5 blade prop was added. You could always say that it's an early version, but the 5 blade prop would add to the uniqueness and probably score you some points with the judges! ;)

I remember reading that too and 4 blades are much easier to come by but if I am going to print one I will just go with a 5.

Sir Fly

I remember reading that too and 4 blades are much easier to come by but if I am going to print one I will just go with a 5.

Gotcha. Instead of ABS, I would suggest a more flexible filament. That way, it will be harder to damage the props. Also, the spinner will be less likely to break up because the flexible filament will absorb the vibrations. I'm not sure if there are any out there that react to acetone shooting though...

Gotcha. Instead of ABS, I would suggest a more flexible filament. That way, it will be harder to damage the props. Also, the spinner will be less likely to break up because the flexible filament will absorb the vibrations. I'm not sure if there are any out there that react to acetone shooting though...

Ideally I won't be breaking the prop but the way I am designing it right now each blade is a separate part and they will all be screwed into the spinner so that I can replace a single blade and then they will be able to fit on my print bed. However after the acetone it might be hard to balance.

Sir Fly

Ideally I won't be breaking the prop but the way I am designing it right now each blade is a separate part and they will all be screwed into the spinner so that I can replace a single blade and then they will be able to fit on my print bed. However after the acetone it might be hard to balance.

Okay cool! Hadn't thought of that!

I've started drawing up some plans and its coming along pretty well. I have it at ~1/10th scale right now which gives me a 43" wingspan a 40" length and the fuselage is about 4" wide compared to the normal FT 2 3/8" wide. I am still going to make it compatible with the powerpod though.

I think I am going to go with a more scale looking speed build. If the guidelines stay the same and we have to use Flite Test power packs it might be pretty limited on the C-pack in the speed department however. I could also just throw a 4s in with the c-pack but we will see. I also plan to model several different printable pieces to add that much extra detail. I've started a little bit of a laundry list with what I want to see in my build/plans below. If there is anything you think I should do let me know!

Nerdnic style Speedwing
tail feathers with airfoils maybe?
scale cockpit with clear canopy
5 blade prop
split flaps
landing lights possibly?
optional removable wing
printed exhaust pipes
printed 20mm hispano cannons
removable fixed landing gear
removable hatch to access electronics
hard points for scale 1000lb bombs
shoot down lots of messerschmitts

Last edited:
I haven't updated in a few days but I have been making progress! The plans are almost completed and I hope to build a prototype in the next few days. Hopefully I will have my needle cutter running soon and I can use that to cut out my prototype!