FTCT20 Avro Vulcan designed by Vimana89

Vimana89

Legendary member
Time for maiden. Crossing my fingers this breaks the bad pattern with elevons.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Left my headband for camera at home when walking across the street to maiden. Decided to go for it anyway and record later(if I still had a whole plane). Sad I didn't bring it now, but that will be fixed soon!! Was weird launching a plane by the wing to avoid my hand getting chewed up, and the launch felt weird but once I let go she rocketed off and when I got her stable the rest was history-soon as she touched the sky she wasn't my crude prototype anymore, but Vulcan, god of fire.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Footage coming soon! I recorded the second flight. Best maiden I've had, best flying plane right off the bat. I'm no longer afraid of elevons.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I did not get footage of the first maiden since I forgot my headband to mount my camera. However, the maiden went extremely well, and this plane pleasantly surprised me. I didn't doubt that the Vulcan was a good design, but I doubted my ability to build and fly it right the first try. I am no longer intimidated by elevons, and this opens up a whole new world to me! I did go and grab my camera for the subsequent test flights after maiden. An edited compilation will be up, but there is a small uncut clip of a full flight from launch to landing where I test loops. That's up in the video section.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I reminds me of a slotted Ft-Delta
great and fast work.
Thanks, in some ways it's very similar and nearly as easy to build, but the nose, cockpit, and false intakes(really just reinforcements) are definitely semi-scale looking and recognizable as a Vulcan. I chose a folded box fuselage with nose curves as a middle ground between a lot of builds I've seen that either go all out with molding and curves, or just go completely minimal and do a profile build. I plan to go with white FB for a more scale looking color next time, and hide all the electronics, and also go with a B fold and paper edges instead of A fold and exposed core. I may get the cockpit even more scale looking. Otherwise, the functional aspect is all taken care of(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I maidened and tested my Arrowhead tailed delta this morning, and have also been working on the '39 build, but the next thing I will do when I get a chance to fly is test the Vulcan's roll capability. I feel confident enough rolling a plane now, though I am not particularly skilled at it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Just got a chance to try a couple rolls with this plane. Everything checks out. My technique needs work, but the the plane rolled just fine. Compilation coming with second flight after maiden +loop and roll tests.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Working on tidying up the plane and editing footage. Going to through-wire the servo cables and make a better front hatch and cockpit.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Before and after tidying up. No more servo cables on top of wings, less exposed electronics. cockpit still isnt't 100% how I'd probably want it but good and easy to improve in the future. Gotta edit current footage and take some new video too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Nice!! have you tried making the fuse a B-fold yet? Or are you gonna build the Charlie first?
Gonna try Charlie, may or may not make it a B fold in the release. B fold is cleaner, but harder to get those curved portions to set right. This will take some more experimentation. I can at least make the portions of plans for the wing and VS for now.