1570114884728.png

Attachments

• 1570114806773.png
    1570114806773.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Video Footage

Raw Clip 1: couple flights after maiden, test plane's looping capability((y))

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here is my third official entry for FTFC20! I chose this particular plane for several reasons, both as an FTFC20 entry and just as a project in general that checks a lot of categories that I want to improve/expand in. This is also inspired by two FT forum members in particular; @Hai-Lee, who casually suggested a "semi scale build such as an Avro Vulcan" as an option, when I was looking for advice on some stuff and mentioned wanting to try a wider/high aspect delta build, and also by @BATTLEAXE and his awesome F-22 project (which got me feeling like a prop-in-slot/semi scale jet build of some kind or another).

Giving it some further thought, I realized this was the perfect project for several reasons. I wanted to try a wider aspect delta, and I've mentioned my interest in Cold War jets before, so building one was a long time coming. I also wanted to take another shot at building and flying a plane with elevons, so I can round out my 3ch experience before beginning to work with 4ch builds. To top it all off, the Vulcan has been done several times in Balsa, so it makes a valid FTFC20 entry.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks for the mention buddy. Do you have a certain model or 3 view you are going to base this Avro from? Did you know that Avro is a Canadian company? Just a little patriotic pride there lol! Had to do it

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thanks for the mention buddy. Do you have a certain model or 3 view you are going to base this Avro from? Did you know that Avro is a Canadian company? Just a little patriotic pride there lol! Had to do it
I do, in fact, know Avro is a Canadian company(y). They made the Arrow prototype and the Avro Car. I've looked at Cold War Jets enough to know mostly what's from where. I am submitting the balsa model from Outerzone, but since I'm adapting this to foam and prop in slot, I'm really going sort of freestyle here. The Outerzone one goes a straight triangle delta, which is super simplified. The original Vulcan wing has a little too much compound looking stuff going on at the front for me to trust it without an airfoil and more experience in aerodynamics. My shape is a compromise in between. Some people do profile, others do a nice molded EDF with all the bells and whistles. My simple box fuselage with a couple curves is also a good compromise. I'll post pics and catch up to speed on the build process, I already have the air frame somewhat far along.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I do, in fact, know Avro is a Canadian company(y). They made the Arrow prototype and the Avro Car. I've looked at Cold War Jets enough to know mostly what's from where. I am submitting the balsa model from Outerzone, but since I'm adapting this to foam and prop in slot, I'm really going sort of freestyle here. The Outerzone one goes a straight triangle delta, which is super simplified. The original Vulcan wing has a little too much compound looking stuff going on at the front for me to trust it without an airfoil and more experience in aerodynamics. My shape is a compromise in between. Some people do profile, others do a nice molded EDF with all the bells and whistles. My simple box fuselage with a couple curves is also a good compromise. I'll post pics and catch up to speed on the build process, I already have the air frame somewhat far along.
Right on buddy, can't wait to see the process. You definitely have lots of experience with the deltas so this will be a refreshing showcase outside the box kinda build. I am cheering for you and your Avro bro. And it should be fun to fly as well

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've had trouble with elevons so far, but got enough flight experience with them to get past it here with this build most likely. Other than that, very straight forward.

Vimana89

Legendary member
So last night around 7:45 is I started building with some graph paper templates and a sheet of foam with a wing I had drawn the nigh before last. I built until about 10:45-11ish.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
The fuselage is a basic A fold job with a single curved plate at the nose. This is set up for an 1806 motor and 5" prop, which will be plenty of power for this light little 30" Vulcan. I played it by ear on reinforcing the bottom. At first I was going to put two skewer bits by the slot, but not very strong or attractive, so I started by glueing some simple foam board strips.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
I then added these cross pieces for extra reinforcement and to look somewhat like the intakes on the real thing. The pieces are different color because it's just a prototype and I'm not concerned with aesthetic symmetry, plus it's kinda cool for orientation. I put on the curved nose plate and sanded the bevels. My bevels are crude because I was getting the last bits of life out of a dulling blade. It's double beveled because I botched something at first, but like the double bevel now for lightness.

Attachments

• IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
Avro is most certainly NOT a Canadian company. Hawker Siddeley Group bought the Victory Aircraft company in Canada and re-named it Avro Canada Limited. The excellent Avro Canada Arrow delta was one of theirs. The Vulcan is resolutely British!

Martin

Vimana89

Legendary member
Mounted motor, reinforced hinges with glue, and started on linkages. What I've noticed already with 5" prop and the elevons as I have them, there will be no real prop wash, but the plane should still work well if everything else is done right.