FTFC´18 WWII Arado Ar 555-3 designed by Zephyr1

Zephyr1

Elite member
The Arado Ar 555-3 is a variation of the Ar 555, but with one engine instead of six. The proposed wingspan was anywhere from 69 to 103 feet. And because I'll be using a single engine, I'm going to lowball it and make give it a wingspan of 72 inches, which should give a 70mm edf the proper size dimension. This is what I've sketched up so far, I'm probably not going to work too much for a little while, but winter break is coming up soon. But it will get done, I've really like this design for a while.

http://www.luft46.com/arado/are555s.html

arado.gif

arado.PNG

Beta Plans: These are barebones, if anyone attempts this please ask questions!
View attachment Spars.pdf
View attachment Arado wing 2 mk2.pdf
View attachment Stabilizers.pdf
View attachment Arado wing 1 mk2.pdf
View attachment Wintips.pdf

Attachments

• arado spars.pdf
    4.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard the challenge with entry two!

At a 6 foot wingspan this is going to be a monster! :applause:

Zephyr1

Elite member
Awesome! I'm very excited for it! I do have a question for some of you though, and that is the powerplant. I'm planning on using a 70mm edf, but I'm not sure how to optimize it for a larger bomber aircraft (# of blades, esc..), albeit one with a lot of wing. Any suggestions?

Zephyr1

Elite member
Arado555wing1.JPG

I was planning on waiting until December but I had some time this weekend, this wing has since been glued together

Zephyr1

Elite member
I'm going to use two metal geared 9g servos for the elevators and regular plastic geared 9g for the other control surfaces. Overall, I'm expecting the weight to be around 1800g but i'm not sure how accurate of an estimate that is. The retracts are definitely going to add some weight. Wing2.JPG

Zephyr1

Elite member
Ok, do the second wing has been cutout, as have the spars. I'll assemble it after I"m done with finals this week.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Finals ended! And i have time now! so expect alot more on this soon. The wooden reinforcement will be used for the retracts I am going to screw in (stealing Ben's idea on the F-4)
Aradocomb.JPG
aradoenforced.JPG

Zephyr1

Elite member
As promised, I would get to work on this, and it's pretty nearly done, minus the nose and engine mounted. The pushrods are connected, I'm gonna be using elevons but with two surfaces on each side. I've also installed a bomb release. I'm very excited!
agear.JPG
Fold.JPG
NGear.JPG
Nearly.JPG

Zephyr1

Elite member
Arado.JPG

Guys, I think i'm close to maiden. I need to do more to secure the EDF but that's just about it.
P.S. that's a ruler on the wing for scale.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Holy crap this went together fast, I couldn't even subscribe to the thread before you were ready to maiden it! Good job!

Zephyr1

Elite member
So I have some good and bad news. I maidened it! And it flew amazing! It couldn't take off of the grass, so i hand launched it. But about a minute and a half into the flight, one half of the elevons disconnected and it crashed. I've recovered it and the nose area, next to the front wheel is pretty structurally unsound. As of now I'm torn between trying to repair it and building a new one. I'll see how it goes tomorrow, but it will fly again!

p.s. The video quality isn't that great, should i post it or no?

Man, that looks great!
I´d prefer to post the vid, it can´t be so bad.
So long as you can see the plane it´s good.

I wish you good luck, well done!
Jetcrafter2000

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yes post the video!! We want to see this fly!! :applause:

And also, I can't give you credit for flight in the contest scoring until we see video. :)

Zephyr1

Elite member
I'm sorry I couldn't post it, it's really bad. The airplane had to be scrapped; i didn't think it was salvageable. The good news is that I built a new and improved version of it yesterday, and have a much better video now!

p.s thanks to my younger sisters for helping