FTFC´18 WWII Lippisch P13a designed by Dr. Looping Looie

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Well, it took flight.
Its capeble of super impressive 3D maneuvers and has the most awesome STOL-capebilities ever:D;):p

Heres the maiden video:

nothing bad happened to the plane, next attempt will follow in a few minutes.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
LOL! That's a killer STOL distance! :applause: If it did it 3 times in a row it must be some sort of feature, not a bug :)

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Oh man, totally forgot plans. These are just the wings, control surfaces and nozzle. I includet optional reference lines if you want to build it with FT-control surfaces. You have to mirror the winghalf and check that both pictures are similar scale or your fin would have a different size.
Screenshot_2018-01-03-09-42-00.png
Screenshot_2018-01-03-09-42-40.png

Todays weather is really bad, so I want to use the time to create real computer plans, build a trailer for the plane and add nose weight.
Hope to get it in the air in time.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Finisched trailer
Its made out of wood and nails and has steerable nose wheel.
I hope to do a ground takeoff with this, it would probably be easyer to get it fly straight because the reaction time is shorter.
Screenshot_2018-01-09-11-25-04.png

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Still waiting for better weather.
Using the trailer to take off shpuld work, but my runway is to small to do it. Also one servo is going crazy, try to fix some things and get it fly soon.
Here are a few more pics that look really scale, check them out:
Screenshot_2018-01-15-19-56-44.png
Screenshot_2018-01-20-09-18-44.png
Screenshot_2018-01-20-09-18-55.png
Screenshot_2018-01-20-09-19-04.png
That is a Kettenkrad build out of Lego. It is RC and has full drive funktions and is able to pull the trailer with the plane. And of the plane doesnt fly, it still should get a prize for the best unnessecery details.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Yes, I gave it another try, but one servo was going crazy and the EDF beeped like crazy, so it has no sucsessful flight jet. But once the weather turns good, Ill bring it to my flying club and maiden it there, because the lokation is just much better. The CG should be right at the leading edge of the canopy, but I might test it out a little more. Just dont go behind the canopy or it will do backflips. The choice of a 30mm version is great, it should be much more durable for the size and be more handy, too. If I had the experience of now, I would go with this setup, too. But there are a few things to consider: 1.: The 50mm EDF fitted almost perfectly in mine, It had just the right size to fit in the belly and had the right fsa for the nose cone, so you might make jour airframe a little bigger. 2.: Dont use a high thrust EDF which needs a big battery, theres not much space and it would be a good I dea to keep the plane as light as possible. Also place your EDF and your srvos as much forword as possible or you get problems with your CG. 3.: Always check where you could place a hatch or your electronics, there is really not much space.
Also, I love your plans and I will probably also build a 30mm version. If the big EDF version doesnt work, Ill install a mighty mini powerpod and make it prop-driven. For all the functions I planned for this one theres not much space, so If you want to include bombdrops, retractable skid or airbrakes, you need to build a 90mm version or something this size.
You also forgot the skid in your plans. I hope to be able to create plans myself soon and then Ill upload all the parts necessary to build one.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I purposefully didn't add the skid... partly because I didn't have a Great picture for quick and easy plans and because I have little faith in the EDF (only produces 100g of thrust.) I will skid and rebuild after a short flight.

I figured I would throw a skid together after the plan is assembled and fit it to the bottom... so do you just fold over meet the back edges and glue ? Also did you duct to the rear opening?

It is unclear why you added the tapered stiffener piece mid wing, can you explain?
I will ultimately figure it out... or bust it trying. and Thanks for the CG location discussion.

Here are some build pics from last night... I worked on three different planes last night. I couldn't help myself with this.

cut out with 3/4 sheet of Foam Board
1 CutOut.JPG
1a Cutout.JPG
Great Glorious beveling. I think next time I will use the iron.
3 BevelCarving.JPG
Most of the parts formed and ready for assembly. I will rough in the ducting and EDF placement and close it up
4 ReadyforPlaneAssembly.JPG

So far - It looks promising.

Attachments

• 2 RemovalReady.JPG
    2 RemovalReady.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
It looks like a plane

Made more progress, a couple nights ago... a lot of shaving and fitting. I think I'm ready
you be the judge. I have to glue, add servos, and make a hatch, for electronics. Rain is coming I'm hoping for some Sunday afternoon maidens!

Duct build-out
5 exhaust duct.JPG
7 pre-wingclosure.JPG

Cockpit fin
6 topfin cockpit.JPG

wing closed
8 wing closed.JPG

Intake
9 intake.JPG

Dry-fit and Shaving - Looks ready to glue
10 dryfit and shave.JPG

Last edited:

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Update!
It flew! And then crashed.
Because it was way too tailheavy, and I couldnt move stuff forward or add trimm weight. So I took the EDF out and replaced it with an F-pack. This has many advantages like lower weight, smaller battery pack and space because theres no thrust tube needed. But it looks a little ugly. Thats how Ive done it:
IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

It woks well, has almost perfekt CG and is very lite.
Then I took it out and made a quick Test flight, which was BEAUTIFUL! It Gas a super wide speed range and looks Just amazing in the air. But in the second flight, where I took a video of, I lost control on one of the elevon servos. Then it crashed nose first into the ground.
The second flight was not as nice as the first one, but here it is:
And thats the crash result:
IMAG0106.jpg
IMAG0107.jpg

I think that can be done very easily. First thing I need to do is exchange the servos against more reliable ones.
What are your thoughts?

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Wow! I Changed the servo and repaired it.
IMAG0109.jpg

It doesnt look that bad for such a crash. And it flew amazing! Im charging the battery right now and then take a video. It looks awesome in the air and flyes very relaxing. Im not doing full throttle because I have to change thrust angle first. And its quiet and very effizient

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
This is really nice!
I have been thinking about that recently, it is the first time in like 70 years (or in ever in some cases) that most of those planes have flown, and for some there is even more aircrafts flying now than there was originals!

Of course it isn't originals but I bet the peoples who designed them back on the days didn't think some nerds would dig the internet to find every last bit on information there is on them and then make them fly.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Excellent work - and a great example of perserverance. When I heard the sound of that crash in post #72 I thought it was wrecked.

Are you thinking of ever returning to the EDF version?

DamoRC

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
So Ive done a little bit more flying and found out some more Things. First of all, it doesnt stall. It was fully controllable even on full up-elevator. On full throttle, it will heavily go up because of the drag created by the fin. But in a bank n yank turn, you can make fast and smooth turns by using full throttle. I will try to mix some down-elevator to the throttle so that it flyes straight at full speed. Speaking of speed, I really like the speed of this thing. It looks scale and smooth, and just right. Im not using full throttle that much, but i'll try the mixing and tell you how fast it really is at full throttle. In real life, it looks even cooler than in the video, because it looked very far away in the video. I love its look in the air because it looks so scale. The see-through cockpit does a phenomenal job at this point. And because of the fin, you can easily tell top from bottom. One Thing it doesnt like is wind. The huge fin acts like a sail, which isnt good in crosswind. In the next flights, I'll try out some aerobatics and check out high rates.
Also stay tuned for more updates and upgrades coming in the future.