FTFC Build-Ruary Simple Cub, Simple Scout, Old Fogey, and Versa Wing by Daniel Kezar

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
my next dilemma is do i do pusher or tractor? i thought i was going to do pusher but now i watch the build video and see they are using a 2200 or 3000 and i only have a 1000mah. will i be able to balance it out?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
my next dilemma is do i do pusher or tractor? i thought i was going to do pusher but now i watch the build video and see they are using a 2200 or 3000 and i only have a 1000mah. will i be able to balance it out?

so i have some metal shaft pieces. pretty heavy. i found that it will balance with the chunk of metal on the very nose. this is with only servos for electronics and no wing top cover things. i think if i used two chunks of that metal i could do pusher config with the battery in a position about where the CG is. i would appreciate opinions and advice. build video (all timelapse) is on the way.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
So i have decided to go with pusher. I still have to cut out the motor mount pieces (by hand) hopefully i make the lines straight-ish. the airframe is done as much as i can at this point without putting in the electronics so i am going to now move on to the simple cub.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Very Cool!
Now I get the be the obnoxious b@stard - where are your pics! We all love seeing the progress made be every FT builder!

Show us the plane
Show us the plane
Show us the plane!

paint scheme Ideas? (Flourescent orange looked great on the DamoRc's Versa wing!)

Keep at it and I hope you're having fun while not falling behind with other things

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Very Cool!
Now I get the be the obnoxious b@stard - where are your pics! We all love seeing the progress made be every FT builder!

Show us the plane
Show us the plane
Show us the plane!

paint scheme Ideas? (Flourescent orange looked great on the DamoRc's Versa wing!)

Keep at it and I hope you're having fun while not falling behind with other things

Patience Grasshopper!:cool:

DamoRC

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Very Cool!

Show us the plane
Show us the plane
Show us the plane!

haha! no pictures throughout the build. just a long time lapse. importing finished pictures now.

as for paint scheme... first i've gotta cut out the motor mount pieces and attach them and make places for electronics and get it to balance. then im gonna minwax it so it will survive the first snow landing. finally i will paint it with whatever i did on the shelf in the basement. probably high contrast. i know i have some bright red left from my rockets. i have a friend that is better at looking good than me so im gonna take a pic of all the colors of paint and she will tell me what to do with it.

as for my other activities.... a nice late night working got most of that cleared up! (stayed up till-...um....-late... last night. last i looked at the clock was 4:00)

here are the pictures:
IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG

Now proudly hanging precariously above my window by some string and the curtain rod.

IMG_1659.JPG

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
haha! no pictures throughout the build. just a long time lapse. importing finished pictures now.

as for paint scheme... first i've gotta cut out the motor mount pieces and attach them and make places for electronics and get it to balance. then im gonna minwax it so it will survive the first snow landing. finally i will paint it with whatever i did on the shelf in the basement. probably high contrast. i know i have some bright red left from my rockets. i have a friend that is better at looking good than me so im gonna take a pic of all the colors of paint and she will tell me what to do with it.

as for my other activities.... a nice late night working got most of that cleared up! (stayed up till-...um....-late... last night. last i looked at the clock was 4:00)

here are the pictures:
View attachment 102295
View attachment 102296
View attachment 102297
View attachment 102298

Now proudly hanging precariously above my window by some string and the curtain rod.

View attachment 102299

DARN IT!!!! THE THIRD ONE IS SIDEWAYS!!!!!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Don't worry - we got it!

Thank you for the pictures. That is looking fantastic! :applause:

I'm looking forward tot he next few pics of the Versa wing - with color.
technicolor.jpg

so i think i should get the electronics in there first then minwax and paint. could be another week and a half before paint. if i get really motivated i could do it before sunday and maiden it then, though. what do you think? it's looking like in the 40s and sunny with low wind. only 12 mph or so. shoot i shoot for that?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I started cutting out parts for the Simple Scout. I got both wings done and the fuselage, although i still have to draw on half of the reference lines. a bit less than 2 hours working on it tonight and the time lapse was 28 seconds. kinda made me feel like i got nothing done. haha. also listened to the end of ftp005 (speaking of that, did ft ever publish the app they said they were beta testing in that podcast?) and the start of ftp006. ah... i love the old times...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Daniel How's it coming -

Should you fully Paint, well it really depends if you think you will be able to fly. I have a hard time getting out. so for me I want it ready in case I run low on time. Unless it's a FoamyDM style crash, you should be able to finish it after the maiden.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Even though the practical approach is to prove it flies before investing the additional time in finishing and painting, I often tempt the flying gods wrath by fully finishing before the maiden - if I have the time. So if you have the time - go ahead and paint.

On the paint - I have been using the Rustoleum 2X paints from Home Despot and provided you start with a light coat and work your way to a final heavy coat (maybe 3-4 coats total) they work well and don't damage the foam. I have also notices that the paint itself does a nice job waterproofing the plane (at least against long dewy grass). So you could think about skipping the minwax.

DamoRC

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I have noticed with snow if you leave your plane outside for 15-20 minuted before you fly the snow won't melt on it. And as long as you get all of the snow of of the model before it warms up itll be just fine. That's what I did with V2 of the Discovery. Just make sure the ESC is not exposed.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Daniel How's it coming -

Should you fully Paint, well it really depends if you think you will be able to fly. I have a hard time getting out. so for me I want it ready in case I run low on time. Unless it's a FoamyDM style crash, you should be able to finish it after the maiden.

i think i am going to paint them all before flight because who knows what may happen. i may crash foamyDM style but i think i am developing my own crash style as well. i have only flown a handful of times but i think my crash style is the "straight into the ground via not responsive enough elevator with a tailwing"

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Even though the practical approach is to prove it flies before investing the additional time in finishing and painting, I often tempt the flying gods wrath by fully finishing before the maiden - if I have the time. So if you have the time - go ahead and paint.

On the paint - I have been using the Rustoleum 2X paints from Home Despot and provided you start with a light coat and work your way to a final heavy coat (maybe 3-4 coats total) they work well and don't damage the foam. I have also notices that the paint itself does a nice job waterproofing the plane (at least against long dewy grass). So you could think about skipping the minwax.

DamoRC

i don't think i am going to be putting TOO much effort into the looks. mostly functional for orientation and such. i have some rustoleum kind so that's good. bright red as well. i am not dealing with just dewy grass, though, so i think i will minwax. yesterday was about 65 degrees and today it was snowing. the problem with this weather is that the snow is wet and sticky so minwax it is. thanks for the painting tips!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I have noticed with snow if you leave your plane outside for 15-20 minuted before you fly the snow won't melt on it. And as long as you get all of the snow of of the model before it warms up itll be just fine. That's what I did with V2 of the Discovery. Just make sure the ESC is not exposed.

that is a very helpful tip. thank you. i also will tape over all the openings on the bottom on the wing before flying so no snow gets in. the paint should help as well.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
How's it going Dan?

hehe... well.... when i inevitably fail this can i just have my unfinished planes rolled over to march madness? lol. build timelapses i can post by the end of the month. also sorry i havent posted anywhere on the forum in a few days but... big presentation, midterms, ect..

i might maiden one perhaps two. will video if it happens.

the simple scout has a wing and mostly done fuselage.

versa wing still needs motor mount, electronics, and paint.