FTFC Build-Ruary Simple Cub, Simple Scout, Old Fogey, and Versa Wing by Daniel Kezar

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
This is the build thread where I, Daniel Kezar, will be posting my build progress for the Simple Cub, Simple Scout, Old Fogey, and 80% Versa Wing that i am building for the FTFC Build-Ruary Challenge.
i think i am about skill level 2(novice) for both building and flying.

I want to build the simple scout because it looks like a good 4 channel trainer.
i want to build the simple cub because i want to minwax it and put it on floats for the snow and it just looks like a good all around plane for doing bomb drops and the like.
i want to build the old fogey because i like the simpler older planes and it looks fun.
i want to build an 80% versa wing because i haven't built a wing yet and i think it will be a good challenge. 80% size bc i only have power pack b not c.

as an extra i may try to do a smaller scale baby blender because it is a cool little biplane and i loved the original blender episode. that was awesome. "a little mtn dew..." haha.
i dont know what scale to bring it down to for the power pack b so im open to suggestions. maybe 70%?

scout plans: http://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/FT_Simple_Scout_v1.0_Tiled_A-Size.pdf

cub planes: http://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/FT_Simple_Cub_v1.0_Tiled_A-Size.pdf

fogey plans: https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/FT Old Fogey details 1of4.pdf
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/FT Old Fogey Fuse Plans 2of4.pdf
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/FT Old Fogey Wing Plans 4of4.pdf

versa plans: https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/FT-Versa-plans.pdf

baby blender plans: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/Baby_Blender_Scratch_Build
i linked to the build article bc the plans arent working. if anyone can get them working or has a copy already that would be great, thanks.

i think i got it all.... anything im forgetting?

Morgan

The baby blender is already for the b pack . Scaling it down to 70%would be compatible with the f pack.☺

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
The baby blender is already for the b pack . Scaling it down to 70%would be compatible with the f pack.☺

it is? it is listed as recommended with c pack and people were saying they used bigger motors even. well that's good. now i just need to get the plans somehow. do you have them?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
ok so first things first, plans.
already have printed the scout plans and taped together.
cub plans printed out a while ago.
just printed the versa wing
cant find the tiled old fogey
baby blender plans link still broken.

well! this isnt off to a great start...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Are you Kidding, You have three builds almost ready! get them going. Look for the SPONZ index of plans if you need.

You Got this - Happy building and Good Luck to you!

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Enter in the Flite Test February build challenge.

There is a challenge on the Forum to build four Flite Test airplanes in a month. You seem like a very active builder so you should give it a shot!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Are you Kidding, You have three builds almost ready! get them going. Look for the SPONZ index of plans if you need.

You Got this - Happy building and Good Luck to you!

ALL the plans in ONE PLACE?!?! NICE!!!! thanks!
that is one of the most helpful things i have found on the forums yet!
the other really helpful thing being the list of planes by power pack compatibility.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
There is a challenge on the Forum to build four Flite Test airplanes in a month. You seem like a very active builder so you should give it a shot!

i know! this is my entry for it! normally i am not that active of a builder. this is a chance to get me motivated!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
so i had written a very long message detailing the problem i faced with my prop not fitting on my motor backwards for pusher configuration for the versa wing but then my laptop crashed like it always does at the worst times and i lost all that. basically my CCW HQ 9x4.5 prop does not fit my flitetest power pack B moto shaft backwards. it doesnt go on far enough to put on the nut. so should i use the normal tractor config (i dont want to bc pusher is more durable) or use it without the nut (it does fit on tightly) or should i drill out the hole in the prop to fit on better? thanks. i will link a video in my google drive that shows it.

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Please don't run it without the nut! Seriously, it will certainly come off and possibly hurt you or those around you (maybe). Was there a prop centering ring that came with the prop (small plastic rings that fit inside the center of the prop so that it will mount snugly on motors with different shaft diameters). If so, and you have it installed in the prop, remove it and move it to the other side of the prop. This will allow the prop to fit and by keeping the ring on the other side, ensure that the prop stays centered.

If not, you can drill out the extra plastic that is preventing it from fitting properly. Not ideal, but at least you can get the nut on.

DamoRC

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Please don't run it without the nut! Seriously, it will certainly come off and possibly hurt you or those around you (maybe). Was there a prop centering ring that came with the prop (small plastic rings that fit inside the center of the prop so that it will mount snugly on motors with different shaft diameters). If so, and you have it installed in the prop, remove it and move it to the other side of the prop. This will allow the prop to fit and by keeping the ring on the other side, ensure that the prop stays centered.

If not, you can drill out the extra plastic that is preventing it from fitting properly. Not ideal, but at least you can get the nut on.

DamoRC

i dont have any of the little fitting nut things in there. drilling sounds like a good option then. luckily i have a broken prop of the same size to try it on first.

FoamyDM

Whatever you choose be safe. :eek:

I found I loose LOTS of props in tractor setups and 1/8 as much in pusher, but for a Maiden, if it's tractor and safe is better than pusher and Scary.

Also if its ready otherwise - order the nut and maiden it another time.

either way, Congrats on finishing the build

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Whatever you choose be safe. :eek:

I found I loose LOTS of props in tractor setups and 1/8 as much in pusher, but for a Maiden, if it's tractor and safe is better than pusher and Scary.

Also if its ready otherwise - order the nut and maiden it another time.

either way, Congrats on finishing the build

oh i havnt finished the build lol. i have the plans almost finished haha. i hope to get most of the pieces cut out tonight if school doesnt get in the way. i am timelapsing it all.

i did get the prop to fit nice and tight with the nut in pusher config.
i just used an x-acto to shave the teeniest bit of plastic off then try to fit it. rinse, repeat. video here.
thanks for the concern and encouragement!

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Any progress picks? I'm excited to see!

Glad to hear about the prop. Anytime on the encouragement.

It seems for me its what helps me grab up the pieces and throw the disappointment in the garbage instead. :)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
i did get the prop to fit nice and tight with the nut in pusher config.
i just used an x-acto to shave the teeniest bit of plastic off then try to fit it. rinse, repeat. video here.
thanks for the concern and encouragement!

Great! Probably want to put a little loctite on the nut as well (not sure what way your shaft is threaded).

DamoRC

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Great! Probably want to put a little loctite on the nut as well (not sure what way your shaft is threaded).

DamoRC

i will make sure to tighten it nice and tight with my pliers. (i didnt with the ft flyer but i should have.) as for the loctite... i have been told not to use loctite in case it wears at the plastic or gets in the motor. is that a concern or should i just go for it? also i do plan on getting lock nuts in the future. i just dont go to the hardware store often because they are a ways away.

Morgan

it is? it is listed as recommended with c pack and people were saying they used bigger motors even. well that's good. now i just need to get the plans somehow. do you have them?

Could be. I thought it was for the b pack but I'll check again ☺