'FTFC: FT-Build-Ruary by FoamTest - The Prototypes.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Shame about the crashes, but she looks reasonably unscathed. Congrats (I think?)

DamoRC

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Thanks damo and Daniel, for the tiny rocks that they use for the baseball field love getting into motors, but don’t like coming out...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The one-handed thing is why I continue to use my 8 yr. old helper, and just deal with what he ends up with. Mostly it works well if a bit shaky. with interesting commentary. Looked like it was a fun flier(for the 2 Seconds, Sorry about the rocks, removing the c-clip is all it takes to remove the bell. My experience is that it goes EVERYWHERE if it slips free uncontrolled, so try to do it in a bag. so you can find it after.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Thanks for the tip, I lost something out of one of the A pack 1806 motors (i think it was a spacer or something) but I can't find it anywhere. And yeah unfortunately I don't have an 8 year old, but I do occasionally have my stepdad and my girlfriend help me with filming.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
FT-Build-Ruary: Discovery Design and Build by Foam Test
discovery.jpg

Link to the forum with plans here

I choose to finish designing, and of course building, this plane because I wanted to truly design a plane. This project has forced me to finally learn CAD so I can now design other planes. Plus I wanted to see if I could complete the whole design process in a month. I also wanted a small FPV platform to fly around at the baseball field at the end of my street. The smaller it is, and the slower it flies, the larger the small field seems.

Build log
I filmed a build video and am in the process of editing it, unfortunately I can't work on it till Monday so I'll update this when it is done. (I hope a build video will suffice instead of a build log) It was a very strait forward build that can be done in an hour or two. The main difficulty was definitely setting up the servos, but it is very manageable.

Build Difficulty
difficulty.PNG
Most of the cuts on this are strait, and the fuselage in the only part with curves on it, but that is for increased durability. And uses simple FT techniques to build.

Flight video
This was of V2 ( the first one I build this month) and this was also before the wing was fixed to give it a correct angle of attack, so this one flew a bit worse than 2.1 (the one pictured above) Also can I get bonus points for designing a model and building TWO of them in the Buildruary?
Also here they all are (except for V1, but the first ever build as a chuck glider is there, it's about a year old now)
discovery2.jpg

Flight Difficulty
diff cat.PNG
I still haven't maidened V2.1 yet, but it has all of the same modifications that I did to V2, just cleaned up a bit. And in calm weather with the modifications V2 flew great and was easy to fly. Although beware of the touchy rudder, you don't want a lot of throw at all on it because it gets all of the prop-wash and makes it very sensitive. More on that in the episode on the plane later this month/early next month.

Do's
Make sure the wing and tail boom are reinforced, like the build video shows. Save your plans that you print out, this plane is fun and only takes an hour or so for the second build. Make sure you put the servos in upside down, if you don't there is not enough clearance for the prop and the push rods. Build this plane, it is a lot of fun and for $35-$40 for the electronics why not give it a try!

Don'ts
Try and put the servos in right side up (even though the plane sounds much cooler this way don't do it). Also don't confuse the wingtips, they are labeled for a reason, and are opposite if you are using a reverse rotation prop. (if the prop you are using has a "R" on it swap the wingtips) Also do not put a lot of throw on the rudder, I have said it before and I will say it again, it only needs to move the width of the foam. Don't be afraid to approach this as your first scratch build or as your first plane. She is really durable and only takes about 1/4-1/3 of a sheet of foam to build and an hour or two so go for it!

Summary
This whole process was a great learning experience and was very rewarding as a whole. I learned how to make electronic plans to share with others in this great community and was finally able to give back with one of my own designs.

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Thanks for the tip, I lost something out of one of the A pack 1806 motors (i think it was a spacer or something) but I can't find it anywhere. And yeah unfortunately I don't have an 8 year old, but I do occasionally have my stepdad and my girlfriend help me with filming.

woah! a teen that does rc AND has a girlfriend??... how is this possible? you have broken the logic.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
FT-Build-Ruary: Discovery Design and Build by Foam Test
View attachment 102589

Link to the forum with plans here

I choose to finish designing, and of course building, this plane because I wanted to truly design a plane. This project has forced me to finally learn CAD so I can now design other planes. Plus I wanted to see if I could complete the whole design process in a month. I also wanted a small FPV platform to fly around at the baseball field at the end of my street. The smaller it is, and the slower it flies, the larger the small field seems.

Build log
I filmed a build video and am in the process of editing it, unfortunately I can't work on it till Monday so I'll update this when it is done. (I hope a build video will suffice instead of a build log) It was a very strait forward build that can be done in an hour or two. The main difficulty was definitely setting up the servos, but it is very manageable.

Build Difficulty
View attachment 102590
Most of the cuts on this are strait, and the fuselage in the only part with curves on it, but that is for increased durability. And uses simple FT techniques to build.

Flight video
This was of V2 ( the first one I build this month) and this was also before the wing was fixed to give it a correct angle of attack, so this one flew a bit worse than 2.1 (the one pictured above) Also can I get bonus points for designing a model and building TWO of them in the Buildruary?
Also here they all are (except for V1, but the first ever build as a chuck glider is there, it's about a year old now)
View attachment 102592

Flight Difficulty
View attachment 102591
I still haven't maidened V2.1 yet, but it has all of the same modifications that I did to V2, just cleaned up a bit. And in calm weather with the modifications V2 flew great and was easy to fly. Although beware of the touchy rudder, you don't want a lot of throw at all on it because it gets all of the prop-wash and makes it very sensitive. More on that in the episode on the plane later this month/early next month.

Do's
Make sure the wing and tail boom are reinforced, like the build video shows. Save your plans that you print out, this plane is fun and only takes an hour or so for the second build. Make sure you put the servos in upside down, if you don't there is not enough clearance for the prop and the push rods. Build this plane, it is a lot of fun and for $35-$40 for the electronics why not give it a try!

Don'ts
Try and put the servos in right side up (even though the plane sounds much cooler this way don't do it). Also don't confuse the wingtips, they are labeled for a reason, and are opposite if you are using a reverse rotation prop. (if the prop you are using has a "R" on it swap the wingtips) Also do not put a lot of throw on the rudder, I have said it before and I will say it again, it only needs to move the width of the foam. Don't be afraid to approach this as your first scratch build or as your first plane. She is really durable and only takes about 1/4-1/3 of a sheet of foam to build and an hour or two so go for it!

Summary
This whole process was a great learning experience and was very rewarding as a whole. I learned how to make electronic plans to share with others in this great community and was finally able to give back with one of my own designs.

looks bigger in the last picture there. does it really take an hour to build? mine (although just a glider) took the whole of 10 minutes. 15 at the most. i think that you could build it in half an hour for the whole thing with electronics providing you get the servo linkages correct quickly.

i will have to build an fpv version when i get the electronics. very cool. i give you double points. lol.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Well that was my very rough estimate, I could probably do it in a half an hour if I am not filming it all. And yes having a girlfriend is awesome, and it’s even better that I got her hooked on planes and rc cars! She is truly awesome!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Well that was my very rough estimate, I could probably do it in a half an hour if I am not filming it all. And yes having a girlfriend is awesome, and it’s even better that I got her hooked on planes and rc cars! She is truly awesome!

haha! i have seen in dominic's videos! well good luck and a happy relationship! haha!

FoamyDM

Amazing job FoamTest. I built an a pack. The micro pack version is super. Try it in the gym. And see how it does. I've been looking to build an indoor gym size model for stem night. This would be great for building and then showing off the motored version. Can you build it with tape alone?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I don’t know if it can be built with tape alone but you can give it a try, also low temp hot glue is great got that kind of stuff. It doesn’t hold like hi temp but it also doesn’t burn either.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I don’t know if it can be built with tape alone but you can give it a try, also low temp hot glue is great got that kind of stuff. It doesn’t hold like hi temp but it also doesn’t burn either.

my glue got has a switch for both but i keep it on low because i am clumsy and high temp melts the foam. i only switch it to high for a big bead like when folding over a wing. it stays hot longer that way.

i dont think you could do it with just tape. tacky glue maybe. super glue maybe. not just tape.

FoamyDM

I'll build it and see what I can do... The cubs scouts are too young to safely use hot glue by themselves, and it violates safety guidelines. I'm looking to have them feel like the put it together themselves. it's possible the wings I pre-glue. That looks like the sticky wicket.

I'm excited to see what I can come up with. I'll share as always.

FoamyDM

Sorry FoamTest, I thought this was the main Build-raury thread at first, and didn't mean to post the Vampire update here.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
That’s okay lol, I thought you were trying to hijack my thread for a second though lol. And definitely let me know how it goes, if possible though post it on the thread I made for the plane, thanks for building it!