FTFC'18 Arvo 707 designed by Userofmuchtape&glue

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
My entry is the Arvo 707 at a 1/20 scale.

avro-707_1.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Avro 707

Design and development

The 707 was a "proof-of-concept" delta design that was principally the work of Stuart D. Davies, Avro chief designer. The diminutive experimental aircraft initially incorporated a wing with about 50° sweep, without a horizontal tail on a fin with trailing edge sweep.
The trailing edge of the wing carried two pairs of control surfaces: inboard elevators and outboard ailerons. Retractable airbrakes were provided above and below the wings.
The prototypes were ordered by the Ministry of Supply to Specification E.15/48. The aircraft were produced quickly using a few components from other aircraft including the first prototype using a Gloster Meteor canopy.
The 707 programme provided valuable insights into the Vulcan's flight characteristics, most of the information coming from the second and third prototypes which flew before the Vulcan.
All 707s were powered by a single Rolls-Royce Derwent centrifugal turbojet. The air intake on the first prototype and later 707B was located on the upper rear fuselage. Five 707s were built altogether.

So now I am drawing it out in Cad, looking at the tiny wing tips they look to small and it may stall so I stretched the back of the wing out to give it nicer tips. Aww I wish the Vulcan was valid as it looks so much better! :black_eyed:

Attachments

• Arvo 707 test.pdf
    111.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Do both.

A profile fuselage to check it flies and is strong enough to survive a few landings and the profile to fit after the design flies to hide the electrics and keep them totally dry.

Have fun!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thanks Hai-lee, I did that actually!

So I printed the plans wrong and way to small but I built it anyway as a chuck glider. It glides great and is very stable!

IMG_2287.JPG IMG_2292.JPG IMG_2290.JPG IMG_2291.JPG IMG_2293.JPG IMG_2296.JPG IMG_2295.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thanks! Further testing reveals that the rudder is too small as per my worries, so that will be enlarged.

Built light out of depron it would be a great indoor flyer!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Wow, it looks like this is coming together fast! Also, did you check tip stalls on the glider?

Userofmuchtape&glue

It did not seem to stall, and if it did it was straight forward. it was really windy so I could not really tell, but it did do this weird tuck under roll which I am hoping to be caused by the small rudder.

Will build a bigger one in a few days, for the 1306 motor.

Userofmuchtape&glue

So printed out plans at 4x4 and that got them to 500mm if I remember right (It was only 2 hours ago I measured, going at this rate I won't be able to remember my own name at 50!)

I will let the pictures tell the story.

IMG_2310.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The 1st phase deadline is 12/31/17 - more details and inof in the first post on the challenge thread. All planes started during phase 1 are eligable for phase 2 even if they didnt get a flight video in by the end of the year.