FTFC'18 WWII Blohm and Voss P.170 designed by Willsonman and Mid7night

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
All the videos I've seen of these things make it seem like the design is a little bit wobbly. Over corrections in the roll axis is what it looks like.

Wondering if that has anything to do with a ton of the weight being at the wingtips? If it were me, I'd think about putting batteries parallel with and inside the wing toward the center of the plane.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Doing some further digging around... I think I would like to use this motor. Using a 9x9 prop, I should get around 700W per motor... That should get me into the 2KW club. :cool: Keeping to 60A ESCs should be fine and keep the cost down. I'm pretty sure Ben can work with the stated dimensions to incorporate a motor mount inside the longer cowl. This should prove useful for battery placement as well.

LOL! I used the Turnigy version of this exact motor in my SK3 racer! That's the motor I gave to Pat at FFEast this year. :D

I can verify that a 60A ESC is enough to run this motor on 4s, turning anything from an 8x10 up to a 10x10 ... although the 10x10 is basically just a battery-drainer. :p

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Doing some further digging around... I think I would like to use this motor. Using a 9x9 prop, I should get around 700W per motor... That should get me into the 2KW club. :cool: Keeping to 60A ESCs should be fine and keep the cost down. I'm pretty sure Ben can work with the stated dimensions to incorporate a motor mount inside the longer cowl. This should prove useful for battery placement as well.

LOL! I used the Turnigy version of this exact motor in my SK3 racer! That's the motor I gave to Pat at FFEast this year.

And I have 2 of them that I was thinking of for a 2 engine bomber. The 4 engine bomber would be a 3.25 meter plane at 1/10 scale.

3 of those on a fighter bomber? That would be a machine!

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I wanted to show that I am not sitting back idle on this project. Thingiverse has a few RC bombs for printing but I wanted to make something much more scale in appearance.

My initial iteration had some spacing on the tail fins that was not acceptable and I have been tweaking the settings for this new filament I have.
2.jpg

This is where we are now. It is about as exact of a scale bomb for the period as I can get. The main body has NO infill so it is quite light. I can put a screw into the nose of it so that it falls in a proper manner. It is printed as two parts so there is no ugly support material to break off and mess with it. Simply slide the fins onto the rear and CA in place.
1.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very nice!! Will you be posting that up on Thingiverse? We were discussing a way to have a marking powder release (talcum or the like) and this would be an excellent jumping off point :applause:

Thanks!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Probably. Not sure I really want the extra weight of powder or the complexity of having it open with out breaking.

smithhayward

Large Child
LMAO! Been there done that...

My P.170 from last year... She flew, not well, and not for long, but she was in the air at full throttle for maybe 30 seconds.

In my "defense", mine was "designed through fabrication" meaning the wing spar went in last when I realized that hot gluing two wing panels between the 3 nacelles wasn't very "structurally sound" (read: limped like a pancake).

I'll be watching this one - I have it on my list to REVISIT this plane sometime in the future, probably at a scale closer to what you guys are doing. Hey, maybe I'll use your plans this time and have a fighting chance at a 2nd flight.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
This looks like a very exciting build.

Just wondering, have any thoughts of a Baby Blohm and Voss crossed anyones mind?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
UPDATE: no update

Ben and I have been so very busy with other things and we both came to the conclusion that we will not be doing any further work on this project. I would still love to build one eventually but we both have other priorities right now. Me? I have just unexpectedly dumped a few thousand dollars in my house due to water leaks and heat pump failure. Been a rough time on that front so putting the hobby funds on hold and I certainly have enough parts for another winter project after the Spacewalker.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well that sucks, do you think maybe others could take over this one? Maybe a group build but im getting ahead of myself there.

Good luck with your house and other projects.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sorry to hear about the house problems - it's absolutely the right call that home/family comes before hobby.

But as this has been on your hobby list for a long time, perhaps we can say "no further work for quite a while on this" rather than no work ever.

Maybe it'll come back and be your inspiration for FFE2019 :p

HilldaFlyer

I think all of us know how unexpected expenditures and projects suck the discretionary time. Heck, life itself doesn't leave much room for hobbies- that's why my projects take till December to finish ( a few hours here and there). We've all witnessed your dedication and drive just watching the countless hours you spent last year. Best wishes for balancing the many lives.

jaredstrees

Sorry to hear about your house, I've been living in a rental since July due to my ac handler leaking and destroying my house. I can feel your pain. Good luck, it will work out!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I least you are wise enough to throw in the towel before being overwhelmed. I rarely seem to possess that where-with-all. Sorry to hear about the home issue. Our WH is in the garage.when it leaked I could just brush it out. However, if it were elsewhere, I'd be sunk and in your wett-ish shoes. good luck. Quick returns to the build.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I least you are wise enough to throw in the towel before being overwhelmed. I rarely seem to possess that where-with-all. Sorry to hear about the home issue. Our WH is in the garage.when it leaked I could just brush it out. However, if it were elsewhere, I'd be sunk and in your wett-ish shoes. good luck. Quick returns to the build.
Well said. I can't claim that wisdom.

A man's gotta know his limitations.—?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, things change all the time. I still check the forums each day to see what all the others are working on. Its exciting stuff!

FlyingEngineer

I know I'm Pretty late to this forum however I've been working on my own 170 and should have it ready for flight fest 2019if anyone is interested in more progress on a foam board bv 170