FTFC'18 WWII Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender Designed by LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am going into this challenge knowing that there will be quite a few challenges ahead and much to learn. I choose this path to advance my all around flying skills. Some things to overcome: 1) My plank flying skills are horrid, 2) This was a challenging airframe to fly, 3) it has some rather challenging design features. Fortunately it is a very well documented airframe with one original and several examples of models in the wild. The One surviving appears to be only a few hours away in Michigan. What I thought was a Canard design is actually a flying wing with an elevator up front. The VERY front.... I'm sure this will go through many wadded up iterations from now till the end of the challenge. Going to start with an ultra simple 3D foamyish "flat" + profile design, and work up to a more curvaceous build.
Some pictures pulled from the web:
Curtiss_XP-55_Ascender-6.jpg
3-view-Curtiss-XP-55-Ascender.jpg
kaz_p-55_06.jpg

I have no reservations with others building their own renditions of this plane. Really like the idea of keeping this an open challenge as has been stated previously in the thread.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I am loving the FTFC'18... Just look at all the canards (er forward elevators).

It's like Burt Rutan days on the FT forums. :)

Good luck LB. This one looks like a blast to follow!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am loving the FTFC'18... Just look at all the canards (er forward elevators).

It's like Burt Rutan days on the FT forums. :)

Good luck LB. This one looks like a blast to follow!

I THOUGHT those were canards, but after my first day of research and watching some video of it taxi, I soon realized those are 100% elevators with trim flaps and not canards at all. :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That'll make for some tight loops as well as a LOT of drama if you set big throws I am sure.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Found some plans from "Model Airplane News" July 1945. Looks like they are taken from the original designs....
Curtiss-XP-55-forum.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Your life just became way easier huh. That ALMOST looks like it would fly well going backwards. Just move the control surface to the opposite sides.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Good find!!

Ya know, one of the ideas that's been proposed for a future forum challenge includes converting an old set of balsa model plans to DTFB... looks like you're really getting a head start on that challenge :p

HilldaFlyer

Great - looks like you found the same reference photos that I did. I'll be posting mine soon.
Glad to have someone to steal ideas from:cool:

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Any progress on this one?

Or are all those multi-rotory things still distracting you from where the real flying is at :p

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Any progress on this one?

Or are all those multi-rotory things still distracting you from where the real flying is at :p

I have been trying to get my plank flying skillz to the point where this would be plausible, but unfortunately they are not coming along to the point where I can do anything other than wad things up. It does not seem logical to move much further along in this build since it is a very challenging design to fly. HilldaFlyer has an EXCELLENT version of this aircraft and I will hereby withdraw my XP-55 entry at this time. I will continue on with my "fun" Flying-ace build.

Cheers!
LitterBug

HilldaFlyer

I have been trying to get my plank flying skillz to the point where this would be plausible, but unfortunately they are not coming along to the point where I can do anything other than wad things up. It does not seem logical to move much further along in this build since it is a very challenging design to fly. HilldaFlyer has an EXCELLENT version of this aircraft and I will hereby withdraw my XP-55 entry at this time. I will continue on with my "fun" Flying-ace build.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Awww, I didn't give you permission to withdraw. I was really looking forward to seeing what you would do - I'll have my plans done in a jiffy - I have to reformat the colored lines since I don't have a standardized color format. I'd be willing to send you the canard mechanism, or anything else that would help.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I also retract your retraction! (Thank you David!!)

As the whole point is to learn and have fun, if you need to postpone work on it while you learn other skilz that's cool - and if it isn't done on December 31st, that's just an arbitrary date for a silly contest.

Keep at it, or even do a build / modification of David's plans and make it look awesome for our in person fun at FFE. I know the guy who came up with hanging Wile-E Coyote under a pizza box has some mad genius imagination to share here :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Maybe I should work on a FC assisted version. I can handle FPV planks, but LOS coordination is plblblblblblblblbttttt.

LB

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Oh heck yeah! I know there are several people here in the VA area who would love for someone to post some real experience with using PixHawk with fixed wing if you really want to dive down an interesting area... :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Pixhawk.... Too expensive. Just use run of the mill F3 Flight controller. I personally will run dRonin firmware, but there is always iNav and other various firmwares that could be used too. I picked up a few AirDTF DTFc flight controllers on clearance a few weeks back.
dtfc.jpg

Same controller I'm using in the Singlecopter.
AllWiredUp!.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Edit: I do have a PixFalcon, but it's going on the heavy lift 650 Quad... I have other plans for dRonin and iNav in my 1500 and 2000 surfers. Possibly in an FT Explorer as well.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That's how I feel with my VF-9 project. Although with some more exterior stick time, I should be ready to give it a go after this challenge is completed. Don't lose hope at least see what you can throw together. The attempt will teach to you something. It always does. :)

Neat single-copter.

HilldaFlyer

I love the "tough love".

If you look at the canard mechanism, there is a hole in the front of the plane designed just for a camera. And the plane can really handle a bit more nose weight, so FPV on dude!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
3D printed Hole Reinforcement

Here's a simple way to reinforce the pivot hole and distribute the load better for the front control surface.

Pivot.jpg

Can be set up parametrically for different thickness of foamboard and different diameter skewer/pivot rod. Could also come in handy for reinforcing the skewer holes on planes with rubber band mounts....

Cheers!
LitterBug